IGNORED

Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

iQuest Golfer
Note: This thread is 3239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't straddle the putt in any way - I guess you could say I use the classic technique...but I can't help but find this rule completely asinine. People should be able to putt (or swing for that matter) however they like so long as they're using legal equipment. Just my $0.02.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Just thought I'd mention that I found my old long putter and I am going to take it tomorrow and practice with it before my round (side-saddle). If I feel good with it, I'll try it during the round.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

NVM-

LOL, but it sure is deadly on 4- and 5-footers! And deny it if you will but I bet we all have done it that way at one point or another! Just for fun, of course!
My Equipment:

UPDATE:

Tried side saddle prior to the round yesterday using the long putter. I can see how this could work, but is gonna take some more practice before I implement it. Used my SeeMore and putted as well as I have all season (3 one putts and a lot of 2- to 3-foot second putt leaves along with several more that needed 2 or 3 more rolls). Actually see no reason to change at the moment, but it was fun trying something different.
My Equipment:

• 10 months later...
ahh, nothing like bringing a nearly year-old thread back from the grave.

i recently just started messing with the side-saddle putting style and sank several 15 footers straight into the cup, and my misses were typically no more than a foot or two away from the cup when they stopped. i'm currently bidding on a center-shafted putter on ebay specifically to convert to a side-saddler putter (lengthen the shaft and have an extended grip put on it). i'm hoping it helps shave a few strokes off my game - putting conventionally, i typically have 31-34 putts per round. i'd be very pleased if i could get down to 28-32 putting side saddle. we'll see.

i'd done some reading on sam's sidesaddle putting - i actually have a book of snead's where he illustrates/describes how he did it. he tells the story of bobby jones going to the head of the PGA and getting sam's croquet method banned. when jones first approached sam about the croquet method, he said "that's a hell of a way to putt, sam." sam replied "well bobby, at the end of a round, they don't ask you how , they ask you how many. "

I wish you had a picture of this because I can't envision it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a product called the Frontline Putter or something similar that had pictures etc. It does look promising using that natural underhand tossing motion.

In my Acuity bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
Woods: Acuity 3 Wood and 3I-hybrid
Irons: Acuity oversized cavity backs 4 - PWWedges: Tourney Silver Scot 192Putter: Acuity half-malletBall: XL 5000 Super Straight

• 3 years later...
  • Administrator
Originally Posted by Chuck Howe

With the new anchor ruling yesterday by the USGA and the RNA, will the forearm be able to be anchored to the body on the lateral line, or side saddle stroke?

You cannot anchor the forearm to the body, no.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator
I am so glad the PGA has basically told the USGA and RNA that they should reconsider the ban. The next 3 years should be pretty interesting.

Here's a good thread for that: http://thesandtrap.com/t/62766/anchored-putters-rules-change .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I am checking the side saddle method out, currently using the Long Putter, un-anchored, not too bad a way to go for someone with the yips actually, at least can putt decently with it.  The Long Putter is big, clumsy, heavy and cumbersome but it can keep someone playing the game.  It appears I can putt almost as well with it anchored as un-anchored.    Will check into side saddle too.   Evidently no one on tour is too interested in  side saddle but it does look kind of deadly for those who get serious with it.  I suppose if one of the pros too up side saddle and won a Major with it the USGA would probably try to ban it right quick.  Ha Ha.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

For the record, Bob Duden invented and patented the croquet style putter, which he named "The Dude". When other well-known professionals like Sam Snead adopted this revolutionary putting technique, its popularity began to surge; however, the USGA banned it when tradionalists like Bobby Jones objected. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Duden).  In competition on the PGA Tour, Duden's best showings were three 2nd place ties between 1959 and 1964.

As for Sam Snead...During the second round of the 1966 PGA Championship at Firestone he double-hit a 2-foot putt and in desperation changed his putting style in the middle of the round. As Billy Farrell, Snead’s playing partner, told Al Barkow, “On the very next hole, it’s Sam’s turn to putt and this time he straddles the ball; he goes croquet style.” It worked for Snead and for the rest of the round he continued to use the croquet style of putting. He tied for sixth place that week. Snead tied for 10th place in the 1967 Masters using his unique croquet putting style. It was his best finish since 1963. His success with this new approach to putting drew criticism from Boby Jones and the attention of golf’s governing bodies. The croquet prohibition went into effect in January 1968.  Sam Snead responded by saying that, “I might be able to alter my stance and still putt my way.” He did just that by improvising a side-saddle stance for the rest of his days to great success. At age 62, he put on a remarkable show and tied for third at the 1974 PGA Championship at Tanglewood, losing out to Lee Trevino. (http://www.pgatour.com/news/2014/08/11/sam-snead-side-saddle.html)

As a teenager I modified a putter so that I could putt croquet-style. It was awesome. From 6 feet and closer, I put the ball on the line I selected, and was deadly. You could be aggressive because of the accuracy factor. From 20 feet to 6 feet, I still made a significantly higher amount of putts. After 20 feet, traditional and croquet-style were pretty similar. I was heart broken when the ban went into effect, and tried side-saddle, but it was never the same.

Bob Duden putting with "The Dude."

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Note: This thread is 3239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!