IGNORED

Deceleration during full swing - argggg

Note: This thread is 5722 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Decided to video tape my golf swing just to see what it looks like and discovered what looks like massive deceleration about a third of the way down from the top.
Here is the full swing:

And here are the 4 telling frames from the video:

After seeing this, I went out and consciously tried to accelerate more slowly from the top and still ended up looking the same. My driving for the past couple months has been sporadic at best and if this is not an optical illusion could explain alot.

How do I correct this, this just looks so wrong!!!!

Matt Bolton_______________

my Quest for Extraordinary Golf

In my Bag:TaylorMade TP Red balls 3DX Ironwood hybrids 2 & 4Nakashima NP2 IronsNakashima HTec 460 Driver

Your releasing all of your wrist-cock early, and then flipping after impact, no power, no consistency.

Look for AvidGolfer or iacas to give a real diagnosis, and tell you how to fix it.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

I don't see the decelleration, just loss of lag and flipping the club.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

You have a reverse pivot at the top. Because your weight is already forward, you can only rotate around with your shoulders. Thus you're hitting/releasing much too early.

You'll need to swing back with your shoulders where they end up positioned over your right foot's instep. Be careful not to allow your lower body and hips to sway over your right foot.

Start down from the top with a subtle, lateral hip bump towards one o'clock by pushing off with your right foot's instep and keeping your head back. This will help you move into an inside slot where you can then pivot around and forward with your shoulders and chest.

Releasing the wrist cock too early makes sense now that I look at it.
However, today I practiced holding on to that angle longer and then took another video. I definitely hold onto the angle longer, but the final two frames look almost the same as yesterday.

Holding on to the wrist angle that long also makes me feel as if I am going to swipe the ball from the side with the face wide open. I have not hit any balls with this swing yet, so I am just going by what it feels like.

In my Bag:TaylorMade TP Red balls 3DX Ironwood hybrids 2 & 4Nakashima NP2 IronsNakashima HTec 460 Driver

I don't know, but the final picture looks like you're not closing the face (hands,forearm)after impact?

And holy cow, what flex is your driver and what's your swing speed?

I've been struggling with this same issue. My problem was that, while I could maintain the wrist cock, I didn't properly release the club head. The club head stayed open and I got massive slices.

I'm sure the guys here will explain this better than I can, but I think your hands are supposed to "turn over" so that the back of your glove hand should rotate down after impact. There are good videos on youtube if you search for "golf swing release" or something similar.

Insight XTD a3 Driver
a3 Hybrids/Irons (3-GW)
SM Vokey 58*
Black Series Putter

As far as I know, it's standard length with a stiff shaft. Last time it was measured, my swing speed was in the 95-105 range.

As far as I know, it's standard length with a stiff shaft. Last time it was measured, my swing speed was in the 95-105 range.

I would double check both... My swing speed and shaft are the same as yours and my flex during the swing isnt even close to that.

Did you put that shaft on the club. Once I had a heavier head that I put into a shaft that I had and I was able to obtain more whip during the swing... but nothing compared to that.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

your shaft is WAY!!!!! too flexible. And that is an understatement. It has almost a 90 degree bend. It's not ALL swing issues here. Go get a new shaft, or driver.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

If you look at the flex in picture 2 and 3, that's your decelleration right there. Your driver is returning back from max flex before the ball has been hit. So, while you're still moving forward, the head is actually moving back, relatively to the shaft. That could cost you 5-10 mph or more.

Your staff does look too flexible, but you could also try doing a shorter backswing to make sure you accelerate all the way through the ball.

Wow ! I am sure there's something wrong with your shaft label if it says it is stiff. At least it shows you're right, that you are
decelerating which causes the head/shaft to bend that way.

That is way too much bending and that will cause you inconsistency in your shots since otherwise your timing/tempo has to
be consistent and perfect for the club face to be at the impact address
you expect. I would take your shaft to a Proshop for inspection.

Good luck,

Note: This thread is 5722 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!