IGNORED

Do crappy players rub off on you?

kekoa
Note: This thread is 5653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im curious. when I play with chops who are 20+ handicaps, I start playing a lot worse also. I don't get it. It must be some crazy mental thing or I think it is also frustration. I'm the kind of guy who practices my swing while waiting for others to hit. That way, when its my turn, I can just swing away.

The opposite is also true. Whenever I play with single digit cappers, my game goes up a few notches.

I'm the same way. Poor golfing can tend to bring my game down, but golfing with people who are better than I am can make me play better. I think this holds true for most sports to be honest.

In my Datrek Rage bag:
Driver: Sumo 5000 w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
4-Wood: SasQuatch 2 w/ Diamana Stiff
Irons: AP2 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
Wedges: Zodia US Spec 52*, Yururi Gekku 57*, 588 DSG RTG+Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style 3.5 or Odyssey White Hot Tour #1Ball: ProV1 or whatever I find!

I'll admit, for me at times it can be a little painful to watch, especially if they are getting hammered while playing, but they enjoy it that way so I just play my game and usually don't pay too much attention to their games other than spotting the ball for them.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Absolutely. Some of the best rounds I've shot have been rounds which I spent trying to keep up with single digits. Some of my worst rounds were rounds where I got stuck with very bad players.

In the bag...

Driver: Sumo Squared 2007 Model, 10.5, Stiff Shaft
2I: Sumo Squared Hybrid
3I-SW: Nike Ignite, Graphite Regular Shaft60 Degree: Nike SV Tour Satin BlackPutter: Newport Studio Select 2 Mid-Slant 33"Trying to figure out what 14th club to add...

It can be very difficult to concentrate watching someone hack it around. Plus, I find it hard to wait for someone to hit 4 shots before we get to my drive. The good thing is I rarely play with anyone who is more than a 10.

I will add though, I have played with poor players who know their way around a course and were very fun to play with. My wifes uncle is that way, he is not very good but I enjoy playing with him anyway.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Crappy golf itself does not effect me, crappy attitude does, I have been in competitions paired with people that will hit shots the same time as you, walk on your line, talk in your swing etc and as much as I know it shouldn't it really does wind me up.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

In tournaments it actually helps me. I don't have to worry about being the worst player in the group and I can focus more on my game.

I have a wierd mental game. =/
In the Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-5
3 Wood: Ping G10
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue TP(3)
Irons: Mizuno MX25(3-PW)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin-Milled 54 and 60Putter: Odyssey Black Series #1

It doesn't matter what their skill level is. It doesn't effect me.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I'm actually the opposite, I tend to play better with bad players because there is so little pressure to play well. If it was with scratch golfers, I feel the need to contend, and try too hard.

Driver:  R11S 10.5°, Fairway Woods:  909 F2 15.5°, Hybrid:  G10 21°

Irons:  Tour Preferred MC 4-P, Wedges:  Vokey SM 52.08, 56.10, 60.04

Putter:  Tei3 Newport II / Circa 62 #3, Ball:  Pro V1X / NXT Tour

Years ago, Tom Watson said that most of his friends shot around 100 and that he liked playing with them because they KEPT UP. Playing badly shouldn't affect you if they are keeping up with the pace. If a pro (Watson) can handle playing with "crappy" players so should you, I guarantee you (anyone reading this) aren't as good as him. Crappy isn't bad; SLOW is.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

In tournaments it actually helps me. I don't have to worry about being the worst player in the group and I can focus more on my game.

I agree I never want to be the worst player in a group but I do play much better when all the golfers are about the same skill level as me.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

I definitely play better with better players. I try not to do it but I always seem at least content if I have the lowest score in the group. So if I play with guys shooting 75 or 76 I will still try my hardest to be lower than them. However, when I play with my roomates or somebody who is shooting 93, 94, something like that, I unfortunately find myself content with shooting 82 or 83.

I guess from years of playing competitive golf I actually enjoy playing with higher handicapped players on the average. The main reason is because low handicappers take it too serious, which I did for a lot of years. I've found that most high handicappers are a lot looser and can laugh at their mistakes.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

I just thought it was me that thought when I play with people that arent very good I play bad but when I play with people that are good I seem to play really good. I am glad that there is so more people out there thinking the same way i do.

When I'm on the verge of trying to find my tempo, and struggling to find it (some days I'm a bit erratic...) it doesn't help when I have a hacker in my group, or two hackers lol. But when I'm in the zone, i'm in the zone. They don't bother me at all.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I don't care who I play with as long as I'm having fun it's cool with me.
In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

I hate playing with slow players. I am plenty patient with new players mainly because I myself am not exactly good at golf, but also because I was there a year ago when I started playing. If I'm playing with a slow player then yes, my score in fact does get worse and when I'm playing with a buddy of mine going tee to tee with no wait and a nice pace, then my score will usually be close to a new best for me. I shot my personal best of 88 walking tee to tee as a two-some in a like a 3 a half hour round.

Note: This thread is 5653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!