IGNORED

How do you treat back spasms??????

Dub
Note:Β This thread is 5683 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I went to a practice facility today and hit a ridiculous sized bucket of balls.

I warmed up and stretched a good bit prior to hitting the first shot. The last thirty shots were full swings with my driver and then trying out my new 4wood. Some with the driver were overly full.

I was soaked when I finished. I didn't hit every shot full from the bucket....a third were just knock downs and light wedges.

I bent down to pick up a couple of loose tees and felt immediate pain in my lower left back. Felt like a knife jabbing in there.

Went straight home and took a long hot shower 4 Advil and laid down. No pain but then as soon as I stood up and turned to my left....GOTCHA.

I have to work the next few days and have to get things back in order.

Any particular stretches or advice????

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Lie down on your back on the floor (preferably carpeted).
Put a cushion under your knees and lay still, flat on your back.
Do that when you go to bed, too.

Plan B is get shit-faced drunk and deal with the hangover and back together tomorrow.
You may not notice your back as much

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Plan B would have been a great option if I didn't have to work the next couple of days.

I've taken two doses of 4 Advil so far. The stabbing pain is gone....just a beotch if I move the wrong way. It's gonna be fun at work this week/weekend.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Daily back stretches similar to these has keep me free of back pain for 15 years after hurting myself lifting a heavy object wrong and being in pain for about a year till a chiropractor showed them to me. He described it as a de-coupling exercise. Takes just a minute.

First one is similar to this but I keep my knees apart and press my belly to the floor as much as I can.

2nd is this but I go farther by straightening my arms out straight pushing the shoulders back more.

I alternate back and forth till I feel the tightness has lessened.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I had my share of lower back pain and I always walked to help relieve the pain, please see the link below to walking away back pain. Please note that I am not a doctor and I recommend you get your doctors advise before you try any exercises.

http://walking.about.com/od/handsarm...n1005.htm?nl=1

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21Β degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both Β 33"

ProV-1

You should go to the doctor - you want to make sure you do not have a bulging disc. Also, the doc can prescribe muscle relaxants that will help. However, if the doctor tells you you have disc problems and recommends surgery (worst case), make sure you get a second opinion. Bottom line is you need to figure out what's going on before you can fix it.

I feel your pain as I have the same problems. If plan b doesnt work for you, I second the yoga moves.

This one seems to help me the most. I do it at least twice daily

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

Make sure your doc says that you didn't hurt yourself first. Then try this. It's the most effective pain reliever/relaxer I have ever tried,

You know what a deep squat is right? Knees wide apart and shoulders drooped down between them with hands tucked under your butt or out in front.

OK, get in the shower and gradually turn the hot water up as hot as you can stand it. Aim the nozzle toward the rear of the tub/shower(you may need to adjust it to suit), turn around and get into the deep squat with your back to the shower. Adjust the hot water, the nozzle and your squat stance to suit. Once you're comfy, just sit and relax and let the hot water therapy work on your lower back for 10 minutes or so(I stay 20-30 min when mines really bad).

Good luck!

Whats In The Bag!
Ball - NXT Tour
Driver 983E
#3 Burner
#5 Metal Railer#3, #5 Burner Rescue Hybrids #5-PW, Gap, Tour CB Irons Wedges (56)588 - (60)CG BlackPearl Putter - Rossa Daytona

I'd also suggest a chiropractor if you can afford it. Where I used to live I had a very affordable chiropractor and even though it was a pain to start coming in 3 times a week, it was well worth it. Not only did it considerably cut down my back pain, but for one year I didn't have a cold or any sinus problems. It's debatable whether that was do to going to the chiropractor, but I can't think it was just some odd coincidence.

The problem is that chiros are expensive, but you're seeing more and more chiros putting together affordable plans for a patients. So go and seek that out.

3JACK

Lie down on your back on the floor (preferably carpeted).

Hey Mike.. where you been... you were gone for a while werent you?

As for the back problems... Where exactly is the pain?

13 Wedges
1 Putter

What are some of the causes of back spasms due to golf. How do you ameliorate this condition.

Correct sizing (flex of shaft, posture swing etc.) of clubs?

On a separate note, anybody with neck pain or aches on one side due to golf?

I feel your pain as I have the same problems. If plan b doesnt work for you, I second the yoga moves.

This exercise worked the best for me. I dealt (dealing) with denegerative discs in my lower back. About 5 years ago, I had to have a discectomy to remove the excess from a ruptured disc from causing nerve problems. I still have one that is herniated and it flares up from time to time. I suggest Advil, and lots of it and doing the above exercise. Also, what helped me was hot and cold treatment. I would run a hot shower and then ice it down good. That always helped.

But like others have said....go see a doc and hope that he gives you a prescription for muscle relaxors.
What's in my bag:

G5 10.5 degree Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 3-PWTour 52, 56 & 60 degree wedgesPro V1 weapons of mass destructionPinseeker 1500 Rangefinder

Have had lower back spasms all my adult life and a physical therapist corrected my posture which has given me an immediate remedy and helped prevent serious bouts with it for a good 20 years now. This is also an excellent posture move for golf setup position. It is nothing more than "tucking your tush" or rolling your hips under the spine, which straightens the lower back, taking that crimped inward curve out of it. It completely relieves the tension in the lower back once you become comfortable with it. From there, make sure your shoulders are relaxed, knees flexed, and you have a sense of balance on the balls and heels of the feet. In the golf setup position, tuck the tush and raise the head. This creates the straight spine which is important for making a smooth shoulder rotation.

Additionally, exercises which stretch the hams is vital because when they are not stretched out they pull on the lower back. It is likely your left ham is very tight since that is the side you say spasmed.

i have a bad back, neck, shoulder, etc.
I do PT 2 - 3 times a week. on top of that 30 minutes of stretching after the gym and 3 times i day i stretch for 15 minutes. morning after lunch and before bed....

i go for a deep tissue, mets or sports massage 1 - 2 times a month
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I take a pilates class once a week at my gym too. My back has never felt better and im also more flexible then ever. Once you get over the fact that your the only guy in a class full of attractive women, it becomes part of your weekly routine.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

I've found that walking helps. At first, you'll perhaps feel stiff and end up taking quite short strides, but as you warm up and loosen up, you'll gradually be able to walk more of your normal pace.

The old advice about staying immobile in bed, on the floor, etc is undergoing scrutiny. The thought is now going towards being more active as tolerated by the pain/discomfort.

If you have pain or numbness radiating down your legs, get checked out, as that could be a sign of something more than "just" muscle spasms.

I just went to my doctor today with a serious case of back spasms. Most of the posts on here appear to be how to PREVENT back spasms, not how to treat them, as the subject line asks.

He said the only short-term treatment is chiropractic along with anti-inflammatories. Stretching, heat, ice, muscle relaxers, etc. are all band-aids which, if they work for you, are great but are not curative.

Longer term, all of the stretching, exercise, etc that is mentioned here sounded like they would be quite helpful.

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

Note:Β This thread is 5683 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!