IGNORED

How did you get started in golf and how old were you?

oreodawg1
Note: This thread is 2620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well my story is...my uncle got into a bad motorcycle accident in february of this year, and all everyone talked/joked about was how he would play when he got out. He was and is very into golf and he was offered but turned down a full scholarship when he graduated high school. Anyways, I decided to try out the game, and I fell in love ever since I hit a ball about 150 yards with my driver. I started when I was 17 in may and my birthday was in june so I am now 18, and I play about 4 times a week. I now drive the ball about 285 average, and my weakest point is my putting which everybody says will come in time and just to keep playing. Okay, my uncle is okay now just sore all the time in his hip, but he has come out and played with me a couple of times now, and I finally beat him. I know he hasn't played much since his accident but I actually keep up with him...for now. He averages mid 70's but since the accident its low 80's. Well what's your story?

Driver: Nike Sumo 5000 8.5 stiff V2 shaft
Woods: IDrive 3 & 5 square (Callaway Clone)
Irons: Callaway X Forged 3-PW w/Rifle 5.5
Wedge: Titleist Vokey 2009 spin milled 52 degree Adams 60 degree
Putter: Maxfli BlackMax TwoBag: Nike Sasquatch Tour Stand BagBall: Whatever is in my bag that day

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 33 and I also started this year. My brother has been playing for the last 15 years or so, and for the last 3 years I had been telling him I wanted to try it, but with our schedules we never could find the time. About 2 months ago he called me and asked if I still wanted to try golf. He said he needed a 4th for a scramble. It was already paid for so I went. I had a blast. I have since bought my own clubs and have been hitting the driving range at least once a week. I will be playing my own ball for the first time next friday. I love it!

Like many, my Dad got me started. I remember tagging along with him and he letting me hit some putts with a cut down putter when I was 6 or 7. I don't remember actually playing a round until I received a set of jr. clubs for my 12th birthday. I played at the local 9-hole exec course many times during the summers.

I started off last year after going to the driving range and having a good time. I had a couple friends that played as well, and thought it would be a good hobby. I played maybe 5 times total last year, not very well, but it was enough to let me know I love golf.

The beginning of this year I bought a set of new clubs (was using some $20 craigs list blades), a bag, and some shoes. I have played at least once a week all year, and try to play twice a week if possible. I have brought my handicap down from well over 30 to 16.2 (was in the 15s at one point). I am very happy with my progress and hope it continues.

I have to say, my cousin tried to get me into golf in highschool and I thought I hated golf. Played once and didn't like it so never got into it. Now when I think back on it, I really wish I had played in highschool, it is such a great sport and one I wish I had practiced while I was younger so I could be better now

-JR

Quite new myself. My company has an outing every year, so I thought "what the heck". I borrowed some clubs and had a great time. I just ordered my own clubs and look forward to my new vice.

About the age of 13 caddying for my father and his friends...a great way to learn course management and etiquette...wish caddys were more readily available today because that is the best way to play IMHO.

Parents took me to the range, Went to the range for a year when I was 5, played my first par 3 course at 7 years old, played my first par 72 at Age 8 or 9.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I'm now 30 years old and I started playing when I was 29. While we were planning a family vacation for last July with my wife's family, her grandfather and uncles were all talking about which courses they would be playing and on what days. I thought to myself, it's either learn to play golf or spend alot of time on vacation shopping with the women. So last May, I got my wife's grandfather to take me to the driving range and show me a few things. After a few trips to the range, we went to the course and I played my first round. I've been hooked ever since.

In My Bag:
SQ Dymo2 10.5
SQ Dymo2 15
a2 3-PW
Tom Watson Wedges 52, 56, 60 Unitized Retro 33"

My entire life my Dad always tried to get me into the game. I always declined because I thought golf was sooo dull. I started playing a little over two years ago and am completely obsessed! I now live out of state and very much regret not taking advantage of golfing with my Dad all those years. Now every single time I visit we play. I love the time we spend on the course and am proud to say it is our absolute favorite thing to do together. I will be home in mid October so I better get some extra practice time in!

One day, when I was six, my mom was out of the country on a business trip and my dad had a golf tournament. So instead of hiring a babysitter or having the neighbors watch me, he took me to the putting green and gave me a jr. pitching wedge and a putter. Haha. I spent about five hours that day on the green and I had fun and wanted to go golfing more often. So whenever my dad had tournaments he just took me to the putting green and gave me a wedge and a putter, until I became old enough to actually learn how to play the game.

Driver Tour Burner 9.5*
3 Wood Burner High Launch 14.5*
Hyrbid Burner Tour Launch 20*
Irons: R7 4-PW
Wedges: CG12 50* 56* Vokey Spin Milled 60*Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2Backup: 2-ball XG Center ShaftBall: Pro V1xAge: 16

I just started playing at the beginning of this year. I'm 22 years old and I wish that I started a long time ago now. I've went from hitting 120 back in March of this year to hitting in the mid to lower 90's, breaking 90 a couple times, and having my first eagle. I'm very happy with my progression this year and hope to get consistently down in the lower 80's next year.
DRIVER - SQ Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3 WOOD - Wrath 15*
HYBRIDS - Wrath 3I 18*/4I 21*
IRONS - Wrath 5-PW
WEDGE - 60*PUTTER - Callie 35"BALL - Juice 312 #4's

One day, when I was six, my mom was out of the country on a business trip and my dad had a golf tournament. So instead of hiring a babysitter or having the neighbors watch me, he took me to the putting green and gave me a jr. pitching wedge and a putter. Haha. I spent about five hours that day on the green and I had fun and wanted to go golfing more often. So whenever my dad had tournaments he just took me to the putting green and gave me a wedge and a putter, until I became old enough to actually learn how to play the game.

Your dad left you (6 years old) at the putting green for 5 hours while he played golf ?? Nice

Your dad left you (6 years old) at the putting green for 5 hours while he played golf ?? Nice

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I sure hope mom didn't find out about that because that would have been an interesting conversation to listen to.

In my Pro-Walker stand bag:

Driver: Founders Club "The Judge" Graphite shaft (benched for bad play)
3-wood: 15* steel shaft
5 & 7-wood: Velocitized BBT Oversized Graphite Shaft Medium Flex 21* & 25*3-iron: Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge (benched for bad play)4-SW: Maker's Pride irons steel shaftsP...

I was a military brat. When my father got transferred to F.E.Warren AFB (Cheyenne, Wy) back in 1977, he took up golf. Sometimes I got to ride in the cart with him. Over time, he would let me hit a few balls during his round. By 1979, I was renting clubs and playing with him and I was hooked for life. Health problems took me away from the game for more than 5 years on two separate occasions , but playing golf has been better therapy that a visit to the doctor's office.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Driver- Taylormade Burner
3 Wood- Adams RPM
5 Wood- Adams RPM
Irons- Adams SC2
Wedges- SW, LW Adams SC2
Putter- Odyssey WHite Hot XG 1
Ball- Taylormade LDP Burner
Bag- Nike ProCombo

taylormade.gifDriver- Burner
adams.gif Fairway Woods, Irons and Wedges
odyssey.gif Putter- White Hot XG 1
taylormade.gifBall- LDP Burner
nike.gifBag- ProCombo

This is my story:

I am almost 32 now, and it all started when I was 8 or so ...

I have this uncle that plays all the time, always wanted to try it out ... he got his daughter (my cousin) into a clinc at the Country Club and invited me to get into it as well ... clinic for two summers, but never really pursued it as much as SHE did (she played all the time with her dad) ... My Cousin and I (her name is Kori, and this is important to the story) took the same clinics and learned from the same coach ...

She played through HS ... won two NH junior titles ... got a full boat to NCSU ... transfered to BC ... got on a reality tv show (I think she made it to the finals) has played on the "Hooters Tour" and other Ladies events ... and is currently nursing some back issues ...

I didn't play in HS 'cause I was too cool ... didn't keep up with my lessons, and now have to WORK for a living ... and I constantly hear "You have such a great swing" from my playing buddies ... if only I had kept up with my lessons ... I currently just got more serious about this game in the last 18 months ...

That's my story and I am sticking too it.

In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

I got into golf about five years ago (23 years old). I didn't think I'd like it...but my brother had started playing, and convinced me to go to the driving range with him. There was just something addictive about trying to hit that little golf ball! I started following Tiger then too, and became a huge fan. Even bought a Rick Rush original golf print of Tiger!

I started 30+ years ago when I tagged along with my dad. He would allow me to hit a few balls while he was playing. This continued for many years...

My golf playing took off when I started to caddy (12/13 yrs old) then became a junior member at a local course lots of playing for very little $ back then.

Cheers,
Eric

what's in my Sun Mtn bag:
Driver: 3-Wood: Big Bertha Irons: Mizuno MP-54 Wedge: Mizuno 56°-10° Putter: Newport 2 Ball: Pro Vx

WOW this thread really took off. I wasn't sure how many people would actually try out my idea but its cool to find out how everyone got started, and some stories are very interesting haha...I wonder how long this thing will go on for

Driver: Nike Sumo 5000 8.5 stiff V2 shaft
Woods: IDrive 3 & 5 square (Callaway Clone)
Irons: Callaway X Forged 3-PW w/Rifle 5.5
Wedge: Titleist Vokey 2009 spin milled 52 degree Adams 60 degree
Putter: Maxfli BlackMax TwoBag: Nike Sasquatch Tour Stand BagBall: Whatever is in my bag that day

Note: This thread is 2620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!