IGNORED

Valid Complaint or Whining? Westwood on Weekley...

EquipmentJunkie
Note: This thread is 5664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lee Westwood Isn't Impressed With Boo Weekley's Between-Shot Antics
Posted Sep 20th 2008 10:58AM by Ryan Wilson
Filed under: Golf, Ryder Cup

But even before we learned of Faldo's lineup for today, Westwood was dealing with other, equally inane issues during yesterday's action. And that had everything to do with U.S. rookie Boo Weekley, his Southern simpleton image, and his lack of golf decorum. At least from Westwood's perspective.

http://golf.fanhouse.com/2008/09/20/...923x1200598548

What do you guys think?

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Lee said, I think it's fine after the hole has played out, but not before that or after a competitor had just missed a putt to halve. I think that's unsportsmanlike.

In my Extreme Sport II Stand Bag
Driver: Sasquatch Sumo2 10.5*
Hybrid: Slingshot Tour 3 21*
Irons: CCI Cast 4-AW
Wedges: Tour Action 588 60*Putter: White Hot XG #1Balls: ProV1 and ProV1x

Like Lee said, I think it's fine after the hole has played out, but not before that or after a competitor had just missed a putt to halve. I think that's unsportsmanlike.

That's true, and I understand his complaint, I guess I just think he should have kept it to himself. I will out myself and say that I am relatively new to golf, especially being a spectator of the pro-circuit. This is perhaps very unsportsmanlike, I don't know? Having said that I'm a huge fan of most other American sports, and one of the biggest advantages is having home field advantage as a team. Crowd behavior is one of the biggest draws of that advantage. Is it fair, no? But typically it isn't supposed to be, which is why teams win more on the home turf than at other venues....

And after this Lee quote; "What more can you say? We're playing in America." I couldn't care less what he thinks.......

long Beach Skylinks

Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

And after this Lee quote;

Why? Maybe he is just making the point that the crowd are going to be more behind the home team. Although if he is saying something more about American fans, I don't think he would be the only person in the world with his opinion. There is support and then there is going too far. Also just for the record Westwood has been sufferring with tonsilitis, not blisters!

That's true, and I understand his complaint, I guess I just think he should have kept it to himself. I will out myself and say that I am relatively new to golf, especially being a spectator of the pro-circuit. This is perhaps very unsportsmanlike, I don't know? ....

If you're relatively new to golf, perhaps you didn't see the antics of the US team when Justin Leonard holed a putt against Olazabal in 1999 at Brookline. Ryder Cup players should all be aware of that sort of thing happening again and not whip the crowd into a frenzy before the result of the hole has been decided.

• Administrator
I think Lee's got his panties in a bunch for no reason. It's not like the events held in Europe haven't had their share of fervent fans, and the "Boo crowd" always quieted down when it was actually Lee's turn to putt.

Lame whining by Lee. And a topic that's over a day old at this point. He didn't renew the complaint after playing boo the second time.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think Lee's got his panties in a bunch for no reason. It's not like the events held in Europe haven't had their share of fervent fans, and the "Boo crowd" always quieted down when it was actually Lee's turn to putt.

I agree. But to give Lee the benefit of the doubt, it's possible he wasn't feeling well during the day either. He was on antibotics. I know when i don't feel well, I'm not a very patient person.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

IMO, it's match play and I say cheer away. As long as you quiet down to let the person settle in and take their shot, it's all good.

I think all the cheering is great in an event like this...makes me wish I was there.

In my Datrek Rage bag:
Driver: Sumo 5000 w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
4-Wood: SasQuatch 2 w/ Diamana Stiff
Irons: AP2 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
Wedges: Zodia US Spec 52*, Yururi Gekku 57*, 588 DSG RTG+Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style 3.5 or Odyssey White Hot Tour #1Ball: ProV1 or whatever I find!

Things are reported and not reported on both sides of the pond.Normally exagerated or missquoted to sell newspapers or give the commentators something (sergio just got beat 5 & 4 ) to say .Dont belive everything you hear.

well played Kim

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

Lee Westwood Isn't Impressed With Boo Weekley's Between-Shot Antics Posted Sep 20th 2008 10:58AM by Ryan Wilson Filed under: Golf, Ryder Cup

" southern simpleton image" you mean there is stereotyping allowed even with Iacacas's editorializing. This must mean that we have to become the apologetic Americans and when Sergio spits into the cup or flips off spectators, that's ok because he is European. Sure Boo Weekley is out of line but he is not a simpleton because he is from the south. He is a rookie. Cut him some slack.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

• Administrator
" southern simpleton image" you mean there is stereotyping allowed even with Iacacas's editorializing.

What the heck are you talking about? I didn't start the topic, I didn't write the fanhouse article, and my comments in this thread have been pretty limited.

This must mean that we have to become the apologetic Americans and when Sergio spits into the cup or flips off spectators, that's ok because he is European.

Who has ever said that what Sergio did was okay?

Sure Boo Weekley is out of line but he is not a simpleton because he is from the south.

The article doesn't say he's a simpleton because he's southern. It simply calls him a "Southern simpleton." He is - and I think Boo would agree.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

" southern simpleton image" you mean there is stereotyping allowed even with Iacacas's editorializing.

Dude relax.............It'a quote from a news article (fanhouse/aol), Erik editted it (i believe) simply due to legnth not because it was overly profane. There is a link if you'd like to follow it.

long Beach Skylinks

• Administrator
Dude relax.............It'a quote from a news article (fanhouse/aol), Erik editted it (i believe) simply due to legnth not because it was overly profane. There is a link if you'd like to follow it.

Yes, I edited it because it's not cool to post entire copies of articles. Better to excerpt and link.

What the heck are you talking about? I didn't start the topic, I didn't write the fanhouse article, and my comments in this thread have been pretty limited.

Simpleton is denigrating and self humiliation is not license to use this terms. You need to hear from parents or relatives of children labeled as simple. Simpleton, moron, retarded are not acceptable terms.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

Westwood had a legitimate complaint on Boo Weekly- you should not egg on crowds between shots..only afterv the hole is completd. Btw, was it just my imagination or was JB Holmes majorly pumped in that match..it was like nothing ive seen before- was great to watch- has been a fun RC to watch so far.

Applications are invited for the position of "Village Idiot".Forms may be obtained from your local post office.
Unfortunatly the position is already filled in Milton ,Florida

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

Simpleton is denigrating and self humiliation is not license to use this terms. You need to hear from parents or relatives of children labeled as simple. Simpleton, moron, retarded are not acceptable terms.

Last time I checked none of those words were on the FCC list.....get over yourself.

long Beach Skylinks

Just heard Westwood complain again on TGC about bad American behavior and poor sportsmanship. Sounds like sour grapes to me. I have always liked Westwood but this turns me off towards him now. He's made a big mistake by stating this because you know fans will remember this next time he is here playing in a tournament. Just ask Monty.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Note: This thread is 5664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!