IGNORED

I am apparently the only one with this problem...(Driver Spin)

Note: This thread is 5411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I often read about players wishing to reduce their spin off the tee to avoid those balooning shots, etc, etc. I have the complete opposite problem: I cannot spin a driver enough. I work as a club fitter, among other golf related things, and routinely jump on the launch monitor to test myself but every time I get the same old song and dance: My spin is way too low.

When I hit a driver, any driver, my ball gets up quick, flattens out, then dives towards earth like it just hit a bird mid flight, rolling the rest of the way. I hit none of my other woods in this fashion. My 906F4 has a beautiful boring mid flight. Same with my hybrids and through my irons. I currently play a Titleist 907D1 9.5* (also tried a 10.5), which has seen a plethora of shafts in it. YS-6+, NV, NVS, Prolaunch, etc. No shaft I try helps.

My numbers are as follows:
SS: 97-101 mph
BV: 145-155 mph
Launch angle: Typically 2* too high
Spin: Typically 300+ rpm low

I've tried various balls, and even changed my swing, to no avail. Does anybody have an idea on how I can achieve a more boring trajectory that gradually rises to its peak altitude towards the end of its flight?

The only combo I haven't tried yet is a high lofted driver head coupled with a high kick shaft. Theory being the loft would add spin and the high kick would keep flight from being too high.

i believe my buddy has the same problem. he will hit his driver, it starts off nice, quickly levels out, then nose dives down, quickly. now dont get me wrong, it still gets down there, but would be a ton better if he it up a little bit. he has been working on it lately and its coming out good. i know a couple things he has done is: stand a little farther back from the ball---he puts the ball further up in his stance, not much but a few inches---and lastly he puts more weight on his front foot. im not sure if any of this would help you, but his has gotten alot better. hope you get it

In My AMP Bag:
- FT-3 Draw 9°
- 3 Wood
- Black Max 3H
- Black Max 5-PWKnight: - Wedge 52° -- 60° - 33" XG White Hot Rossie W/ Jumbo Grip TOURi Ball Glove

i believe my buddy has the same problem. he will hit his driver, it starts off nice, quickly levels out, then nose dives down, quickly. now dont get me wrong, it still gets down there, but would be a ton better if he it up a little bit. he has been working on it lately and its coming out good. i know a couple things he has done is: stand a little farther back from the ball---he puts the ball further up in his stance, not much but a few inches---and lastly he puts more weight on his front foot. im not sure if any of this would help you, but his has gotten alot better. hope you get it

Unfortunately I've tried those things as well, and it resulted in me hitting the ball a little higher, but nose diving just as fast. It's the weirdest thing! I appreciate the response though!

One thing that I find interesting is that when I purposely play a power cut, the ball flies longer and peaks later, no doubt due to the added spin. If I could only find a way to add spin without having to play a cut all the time off the tee!

I have the exact same problem. As a result i usually get one hell of a first kick upon landing. I know carry distance is where it is supposed to be at, but I just live with it since I still get a decent overall length. My distances aren't prodigious by any stretch of the imagination (240-260max with about 210 of carry). I swing 90-95mph and hit all my shots relatively low with all my clubs. I definately deloft a little with the driver.

That being said, the best combo I have found for my swing is a 12* driver with a stiff flex (really too stiff for me) ProForce V2. I get better spin and lift from the 12 degree driver, and avoid the baloons with the stiff V2. Plus I feel I have more directional control with this setup (70% of my fairways on average). And I always play a spinner ball - Titleiset NXT tour, ProV1 or Bridgestone B330s.

Good luck.

Have you only tried the titleist d1 head? If so try another head, that could fix it. Since you have experience in club fitting, you would have more of an idea than me. Good luck with your solution mate.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Thanks Stacey_E, glad to hear I am not the only one. I too get respectable distance after the roll, it's just that the roll gets me in trouble sometimes, and other times I need a long carry to reach the fairway from the back tees. I think I will try a high lofted driver to add spin.

And no, the D1 is not the only head I've tried. Working in clubfitting I've had the priviledge of hitting most clubs available today. I just can't generate spin off the tee I guess.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but have you tried teeing the ball lower?

This article found teeing it low increased spin by at least 300rpm and lowered LA by a couple of degrees.

http://www.golf.com/golf/instruction...5244-0,00.html

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but have you tried teeing the ball lower?

I've read that article and I have tried teeing it lower. While it does help, it doesn't help as much as I'd like. It really just makes me hit a lower version of my ridiculous trajectory.

• 7 months later...
I know this is an old thread, but in case you haven't figured it out yet all you need is a higher lofted driver. You're 2* low, and if you go higher you'll also get more spin. Problem solved.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

A good starting place would be a 10.5 degree Cleveland Highbore XL or XLS with an Aldila NV shaft (lower launch, higher spin), hitting a Nike One Platinum. If that doesn't work, try a higher loft.

In my stand bag:
909D3 with 10.5 degrees of loft and a 45 inch Fujikura Rombax 6Z08, x-flex
909F3 15* with a stock Diamana Blue
FT 18* with an Aldila NV
X-forged ('07), 3-PW with Project X 6.0 CG12, 53/11, and 58* with DSG Red X2, 33"All with Lamkin Crossline Full Cord. (except the putter of...

Note: This thread is 5411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!