IGNORED

Just Checked My Mutual Funds

Ben
Note: This thread is 4792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And another--thought this was kind of cute.

NEW STOCK MARKET TERMS

CEO --Chief Embezzlement Officer.
CFO-- Corporate Fraud Officer.
BULL MARKET -- A random market movement causing an investor to mistake himself for a financial genius.
BEAR MARKET -- A 6 to 18 month period when the kids get no allowance, the wife gets no jewelry.
VALUE INVESTING -- The art of buying low and selling lower.
P/E RATIO -- The percentage of investors wetting their pants as the market keeps crashing.
BROKER -- What my broker has made me.
STANDARD & POOR -- Your life in a nutshell.
STOCK ANALYST -- Idiot who just downgraded your stock.
STOCK SPLIT -- When your ex-wife and her lawyer split your assets equally between themselves.
FINANCIAL PLANNER -- A guy whose phone has been disconnected.
MARKET CORRECTION -- The day after you buy stocks.
CASH FLOW-- The movement your money makes as it disappears down the toilet.
YAHOO -- What you yell after selling it to some poor sucker for $240 per share.
WINDOWS -- What you jump out of when you're the sucker who bought Yahoo @ $240 per share.
INSTITUTIONAL INVESTOR -- Past year investor who's now locked up in a nuthouse.
PROFIT -- An archaic word no longer in use.
WITB
Driver--PING Rhapsody, 16*
Fairway Wood--PING Rhapsody 22*
Hybrids--Cobra Bafflers, 3 (23*), 6 (32*)
Irons--Callaway X-20, 7-AW SW--Wilson ProstaffLW--Nancy LopezPutter--Bettinardi HawkBalls--Pinnacle Gold DistanceBags--Datrek IDS (cart), Sun Mountain 3.5 (carry)

A pigeon can still make a deposit on a new car. Anyway, I am keeping all of my money in an online savings account. I figure I will invest it in a mutual fund in a few years when the markets steady out.

I wish I hadn't... I'm 25% in the negative since this whole BS started. Hooray. But, this is a long term retirement account, I didn't really expect to see any different from the events of the past few weeks. Just sucks!

You are the luck one if your investment is only down by 25%, most got hosed off by 40%-50%. You must be in a very conservative fund.

You are the luck one if your investment is only down by 25%, most got hosed off by 40%-50%. You must be in a very conservative fund.

Well, I did start this thread a week or so ago. I am deathly afraid of checking now.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

40% loss in my funds. It has been pretty volatile though. Up and Down

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

my dad works for a stock management company here in madison.........it hasn't been a very fun month for him. plus the weather sucks, so no golf.

i'm only 15, but am thinking about dropping a coupe grand that i have saved into a mutual fund or something. chances are slim of somethinghappening like it did to Mr. Gates, but who knows?

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

i'm only 15, but am thinking about dropping a coupe grand that i have saved into a mutual fund or something. chances are slim of somethinghappening like it did to Mr. Gates, but who knows?

Well, Gates didn't get rich through mutual funds, best of my knowledge.

But I say it's a good idea. If you have a couple of grand that you don't need at the moment, you can put it away in some sort of mutual fund - your dad can probably give you better advice than I can. I will suggest you find a way for it to grow tax-free, if it isn't going to be used any time soon, such as a Roth IRA if this is starting a retirement fund But yeah, being 15, putting away $2000, if it grows at an average of 8% a year, that little money you don't care about now can be over $63,000 by the time you're 60. I'm ten years older than you and I'm socking away a great deal of cash *now*, while the market is down. Just make sure it isn't money you need, say, 3 years from now. That goes into a different type of investment. But your dad, I'm sure, knows this, so let him worry about it.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, the guy who lost $4 million when Lehman Bros went kaput might disagree.

You might want to read about Bob Steel. He put $16m of his own money into Wachovia stock in July buying WB at around $16 a share. Ouch.

• 2 years later...
I wish I hadn't... I'm 25% in the negative since this whole BS started. Hooray. But, this is a long term retirement account, I didn't really expect to see any different from the events of the past few weeks. Just sucks!

Wow, its been two years since I posted this? Well, just check today and I'm less than 1% in the negative!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Wow, its been two years since I posted this? Well, just check today and I'm less than 1% in the negative!

Well you are doing better then me. i don't know the exact number but i am close to even in regular stocks / mutuals and ahead in the 401k. the reason being i didn't add any new money to the regular but max out the 401 and add extra with profit sharing so it actually jumped pretty good.

I had contemplated dumping quite a bit of cash into the market at the begining of the year but i didn't have the balls or faith to do it!! Damn i wish i had! i did manage to pick up several pieces of real estate from the short sale market and done very very well with them. all in all 2009 was poor and 2010 was way above average. depending on the real estate purchases it could a massive life changing year. will let you know in 5 to 10 years LOL

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

That's because the cyclical "often considered a rumor" nature of markets brings prosperous results to those with patience. Knowledge and confidence also breed a great investor, knowing that the markets get rocked when fear is elevated made millionaires out of people willing to put money into the market in the beginning of this year and March/April of 2009.

A large amount of stocks were brought down with the fear of systemic risk throughout the whole market. Some companies had great books and promising futures but were negatively impacted based on poor management decisions by rival companies. It is hard to know which company to invest in, but becomes more lear once you start doing research and figure out WHY a company lost 15% or WHY the company is growing at 5% a year for 10 years. Understanding what caused the event is much more beneficial than trying to react the news. Anyways thats my two cents on the topic. I recently graduated in May looking to pursue a career in finance ad enjoy helping to bring insight to others who may have questions about investing. A personal projection is that the december month will be good for the major indexes. Strong consumer numbers coupled with small job growth has a majority of investors concurring the current bull market will continue. Unfortunately the real estate market most likely has a few hard years in front of them, my thinking is roughly 3 years but everything can change overnight in these turbulent times.
taylormade.gif -- > R9 9.5* Fujikura Motore F1 -- > R9 15* Fujikura Motore ][ callaway.gif -- > X-20 Steel 3-PW ][ cleveland.gif -- > CG-14 Black Pearl 60*
titleist.gif -- > Spin Milled 56* , 52* -- > Studio Select Newport 2- -- > Pro-V1 ][ BBGPSGOLF for GPS on my Blackberry
Home Course: http://whitneyfarmsgc.com/ Connecticut

I had contemplated dumping quite a bit of cash into the market at the begining of the year but i didn't have the balls or faith to do it!! Damn i wish i had!

In a nice coincidence last year I heard someone talking about how shares of Ford were going for $1. Within days I got an email from ING telling me I'll get $50 to open a Sharebuilder account. So I did, saw Ford at $2.66, and jumped on it. I bought a bunch of other stuff too. Not exactly "dumping a bit of cash" but merely a little bit and mostly stuck to penny stocks. My Sharebuilder account is rocking! Ford is up 486% and my biggest gainer (Boise Paper) is up 1034%. But like Boilergolfer suggests, the market is sure to go back down. Be sure not to be snoozin' that time!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the positive now! Thanks Morgan Stanley.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Just remember that after a 50% loss, you need a 100% positive gain just to get back to where you were before you lost any money.  I hate math sometimes!

Drivercleveland.gif Launcher 290XL with Miazaki C.Kua Fairway Woodcleveland.gif Launcher 15* 

Hybridsnickent.gif 4DX 17* and 20* Ironsnickent.gif  3DX Pro

Wedgesnickent.gif ARC 52*  mizuno.gif MP-T10 Black Satin 54-9, 60-5

Putterodyssey.gif Dual Force Rossie II Range Finder Tournament Edition 1600

Ski-U-Mah! 

• 2 months later...

Freakin Libya!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 4792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!