IGNORED

Bulls Eye Putters the Best?

Note: This thread is 1722 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Huh? I'm not clear on the point you're trying to make here.

Comparing stats and equipment is difficult as technologies in clubs, as well as course conditions and turf management has changed. I was suggesting that perhaps the reason the records exist is the fact that tournament courses are designed with greater complexity in the green, not to mention faster surfaces.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Here is another angle to consider. The bullseye is an old putter, and the stats the OP presented are from golfers decades ago. There were fewer choices back then, and perhaps more importantly, greens were not prepared for tournaments they way they are today given advancements in turf management, hybrid grasses and mower/roller technologies available today.

I'm sure you have a point in there somewhere, but I'm unclear about where it may be. Are you saying:

a) a bullseye is inferior say to a newer Scotty or Rossa? b) you assume I play at some rinky dink municiple course? c) you are the only one qualified to make a comment about a PGA Tour green in regards to modern vs. older putters? d) you practice putting on a concrete garage floor? I understand the point about the bullseye being an older putter, but in my opinion all else about grasses, mowers, preparation, etc., just don't hold muster. Note what I wrote above; I said "in my current opinion." Anecdotally, during this past season I played multiple consecutive days on four courses set up by the USGA for PGA Tour events. Fast greens and certain grasses are not exclusive to the tour. This season I played a ton of non-tour courses that feature green complexes as tough as any I have played from the circuit. The putter I choose has everything to do with whether I putt well or not. It has to setup well to my eye, I have to have a good mental state behind the putter, how well am I'm reading them that day, etal. Look at Corey Pavin. One of the best all around putters in our era. He still uses a bullseye from the 80s. He's played on every green complex there is... Look at Crenshaw... still uses an old Wilson 8802. ... You think Pavin and Crenshaw haven't tried every putter under the sun? Sure they have... And the reverse is also true... Choose any current tour player out there.. Stricker... He's certainly have had to try all the newer putters. Why does he use an older WH#2? Look at Goydos.... playing a Rossa Spider. He would swear to it, and so he should - watching him shoot that 59 was amazing! It obviously sets up well to his eye. I don't know what Applebee putts with (also shot a 59 this season) but whatever it is is a personal choice.

SLDR 8.5°, Fujikura Speeder 6.2 VC X SLDR 15°, Black Tie 8M3 X SLDR 17°, Black Tie HM3 95X Tour Preferred MC 4 - PW (DG Pro X100) Tour Preferred 52, 56, 50 (DG Pro X100) Daytona 62 Lethal

Huh? I'm not clear on the point you're trying to make here.

there isn't an alignment aid on it though (well I don't think there is)

I have a putter which is basically the same except for the name, I tried it one day and couldn't sink anything. I don't know how people can putt without alignment aids

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

These putters are famous for a reason. Beauty in the eye of the beholder I guess. I have an older Scotty bullseye that I loved, but I moved on to another anser style. To each his own. Want a nice bullseye, check out Tom Slighters custom putters...

http://www.slightergolf.com/products...php?id=7&f;=mud

Wow! His putter's are AMAZING!!! I'm considering getting one made... Just sent in a custom quote request. We'll see what he comes back with... Thanks for the recommendation. BTW, (re: your location) I'm looking at getting up to Pinehurst #2 before they close Nov 15th. They have some pretty good specials running right now... three days for ~$900.

SLDR 8.5°, Fujikura Speeder 6.2 VC X SLDR 15°, Black Tie 8M3 X SLDR 17°, Black Tie HM3 95X Tour Preferred MC 4 - PW (DG Pro X100) Tour Preferred 52, 56, 50 (DG Pro X100) Daytona 62 Lethal

interesting. i was planning to make the trip to pinehurst then come back down thru myrtle to play caledonia and true blue. i'll see what i can do... sounds like a great trip.

there isn't an alignment aid on it though (well I don't think there is)

Practice and having a comfortable grip. Try putting without looking at the ball - look at the hole.

My old Acushnet bullseye has a leather paddle style grip. Without even looking I know where the face is pointed. It's a good choice for slowish (e.g. wet) greens. A nice rainy day putter.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I had to revive this old thread. I found a Bulls Eye in good shape at Play It Again Sports last fall for $5.99. When I was growing up, everybody had one of these, the pros, and all the guys at the country club where I caddied. I really wanted one. Well, I found one, and guess what? I have never putted better. Something about it just fits the way I putt, because I feel like a surgeon on the greens. I was using a Ping G2 Tess, which isn't bad, but it was just this thing in my hands. The Bulls Eye is my partner and we do great work together. My playing partners say I exude much more confidence than before putting with this club.

OS - Old Standard M - Medium Lie Angle 5 - 35" Length S - Standard Grip (round)

• 4 months later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer View Post I had to revive this old thread. I found a Bulls Eye in good shape at Play It Again Sports last fall for $5.99. When I was growing up, everybody had one of these, the pros, and all the guys at the country club where I caddied. I really wanted one. Well, I found one, and guess what? I have never putted better. Something about it just fits the way I putt, because I feel like a surgeon on the greens. I was using a Ping G2 Tess, which isn't bad, but it was just this thing in my hands. The Bulls Eye is my partner and we do great work together. My playing partners say I exude much more confidence than before putting with this club. It's an Acushnet John Reuter, Jr. model, with the OS M 5 S stamped on it. If anyone knows that that means, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Duffer View Post
None

OS - Old Standard M - Medium Lie Angle 5 - 35" Length S - Standard Grip (round)

I have a putter with the exact markings on it.  In addition to what Joe has confirmed, it has a tapered and fluted steel shaft and a rounded, leather wrapped grip.  The top side of the grip is flattened.  There is no sight line on the top of the putter head, but it is not necessary either, because the club has such a superb feel (for my stroke, anyway.)  One thing I am curious about is if anyone can help me determine when this club was manufactured.  Based on what I have read my guess is anywhere from the early 1960s to the mid 1980s, which is not very helpful.  Any link to more info about these putters will be greatly appreciated.   Thanks!

I had a wide flange model in the late seventies. It was deadly from 5-10 ft, but I couldn't control distance well on lag putts. I switched to a PING and got better on longer putts, but was never as good on the short ones as the Bullseye. As they say, the Indian not the arrow.  I traded the Bullseye later, but wish I'd kept it.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

IMO its not so much that the putter is better as it is that the putter doesnt have any kind of a cavity back so it forces you to become a better putter in order to be effective with it.  A Bulls Eye will really penalize you on off-center hits moreso than an Anser style or mallet putter will.

When I first started playing golf in '99 I used a Bulls Eye (because I was 18 years old an couldnt afford a Cameron, but still wanted a Titleist putter to go with the rest of my Titleist clubs) and they are very soft putters.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Old Achusnet Bullseye's are bargains if they work for you.

There's no reason to buy an expensive new version  because they are so simple there's nothing to improve. I  have a Titlist and two Achusnet's - they all look a bit different but basically feel and work the same. (I have 3 because the clubs cost me less then their grips.)  I also have a Cameron Classic III Heavy Flange for when I want a slightly different feel.....not better...just different.

It's all about feel and hitting the sweet spot.

Also used: Various Pings, Cameron's, other brand cavity backs and mallets, and space ships on sticks.  They all work!

PS: When I was a kid all the miniature golf courses used bulls eye clones, so when I started playing I wanted a Ping because it was more "real" golfer. :)

• 2 years later...

Couple of things make putter feel like no other first is the material used is a soft brass and most important is a fluted shaft.

I think a great choice for a cross hander. Old technology the Ping Answer Milled is the best I have used.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

AK jr. -- I think the front and back were identical on the original models (way back), but not for the past several decades, at least not on the LB 5 A model I've been using since late 70s (that means LIGHT BLADE 35"). I have a true RH club; the back side has more loft, though not much.  It can, however, be used for delicate LH shots -- I saved par yesterday doing that from up against the wrong side of a cactus in Tucson (I know, hit it on the green, not against the cactus and you won't have the use the back of the putter). After all these years I still love the feel. (I think the shaft design plays a role there).  As has been commented on here, when you miss-hit you know it, but a square hit feels just perfect. I replaced the original grip with a standard round one (a bit lighter) and I think it improved the "feel" (for me anyway)

-Jeff

I got  one in 1968 my jr. year in high school its still in my bag and love the thing ---- bought a  SC  one about 2002 and have them both in my bag . I do trade once and a while but too me they can't be beat...

Note: This thread is 1722 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!