IGNORED

Pros and Cons of Graphite Shafts?

Note: This thread is 5641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pros:
  • lighter....swingspeed may pick up....could translate into more yardage.
  • absorb shock.....easier on the wrists with turf impact than most steel shafts....great for arthritic players

Cons:
  • Good graphite is more expensive than good steel. Consistency--even the lowest cost steel is highly consistent...you'll shell out mucho dinero for high-end graphite.
  • Feel is dampened. Some players thrive on getting that feedback....graphite will mute this some.

I'm sure there are other standouts...but these are the biggies as I see them.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

steel shafts are more accurate and if you have a higher swing speed you should deffinately be hitting steel.

on the other hand graphite is for slower swing speeds will improve your distance and will give you less accuracy.

By accuracy most people think that means youll be missing greens which is not true. You may not be pinpoint but itll deffinately be fine and youll still have your moments where you stick shots close.

Judge on swing speed and your size mainly

:)

In My Bag:

Driver: Nike 2 Square
Wood: 15*Wood CGB Max
Hybrid: 19* Adams Boxer
Irons: Cleveland CG Red 3 - pw
Wedges: Wilson Harmonized 56* 60*
Putter: White Hot XG #9
Balls: Nike One Platinum
Glove: Taylormade Targa Tour

A clubfitter I often speak with says the accuracy difference has little to do with innate differences in the materials. He argues that because of the lighter weight and the extra 1/2 inch used for graphite shafts golfers who are used to steel tend to get quick with graphite and this is what accounts for the accuracy lost by using graphite. He does believe most golfers are best served by saving the money and getting steel since the heavier shaft and shorter length lead to more center hits, which usually, offsets most of the distance gain from longer lighter shafts.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

For me graphite = no tendinitis. My SS is higher than average, and I don't think it hurts me for accuracy. I think getting fit to graphite is harder than steel. With steel you can always count on a DGS300 playing like the other 300s you've played (hopefully) but with stock graphite there isn't that kind of "known" shaft, unless you go aftermarket, which will cost you a ton.

Speaking of aftermarket graphite iron shafts, I almost bought a set of used Nickent irons that had been made up with Proforce 65 graphite shafts (with the blue and yellow graphics). I hit the irons great, but I just couldn't stand to look down at the club. I can live the bright paint on a wood (kinda) but on irons it was really nauseating.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Graphite iron shafts are for seniors.

75% of the seniors I've played with lately have posted way better scores than I. Bad....bad....jokers. Glad I limited my losses by only betting with one of them....and it was a low cost game of Hawk....wound up being a cheap golf lesson for me.

I love seeing seniors play well and enjoy the game. It sure builds my confidence as I grow older.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

and women

And me. Graphite actually straightened me out a good bit, particularly from the 7-iron down into the wedges. And yes, I did pick up some distance.

Every club in my bag with the exception of my putter now has graphite shafts and I won't be going back. Jess

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a beginner golfer (3 months) and switched from steel shafts to graphite (regular flex) just this past week. I noticed from my 4 hybrid to the 9-iron I was able to hit ten yards further.

I was hitting well with the steel shafted irons and hybrids before, but noticed after hitting 100 balls at the range that my wrists would be sore. After trying the graphite-shafted irons yesterday I found I was hitting further and my wrists are fine today.

Based on my slow swing speed (around 80mph) I should have tried graphite shafts to begin with. But when I hunted online for my first set of clubs I bought the cheapest starter set that seemed decent (Top Flite), and every club except for the driver had steel shafts. I should have gone to a pro shop and went through a proper fitting, but, live and learn.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

Note: This thread is 5641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!