IGNORED

Hobbies besides Golf?

TravelGolfer
Note: This thread is 3434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Weightlifting, running and traditional wet shaving with an old fashioned double-edge safety razor, oil, shaving soap and brush.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I searched this thread and apparently I'm the only one much involved in audio. I have various stereo systems both tube and solid state and way to many speakers. I build my own pair of open baffle speakers earlier this year. They turned out very good, sounding anyway. I'm a big Jazz fan so I need all this gear to listen to the music with.

I also collect art, painting and sculpture, and early 20th century American Art Pottery. I really need to get some cheaper hobbies!

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

Does cooking count? I mean, I'm really just feeding myself, but still.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Does cooking count? I mean, I'm really just feeding myself, but still.

If shaving counts I would think cooking has to count. Well, unless Elvis is shaving someone else maybe.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

Working musician, (aging rock star, more like it!) playing guitar and singing in a hippie 60s show band.  We only play during festival season, spring - fall.  Great gig.  Really enjoy it.  Funny, people will pay me to play guitar and sing but nobody has yet to step up on the pay to play GOLF yet!

Photography: Started out about 7 years ago with DSLR shooting high-school sports.  Big fun.  Enjoyed it.  Now, I take the camera on vacations, (especially GOLF vacations) to shoot other places, wildlife on courses and whatever items of interest can be found.  When at home, my wife and I like to visit small town fairs, festivals and the like.  The photo output is dubbed 'downtown anywhere, USA.'

Watching sports.  Stuck here in NE Ohio, I watch a lot of college / pro football and basketball.  Pretty much through the NCAA Tournament before you can even think about outdoor activities.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Working musician, (aging rock star, more like it!) playing guitar and singing in a hippie 60s show band.  We only play during festival season, spring - fall.  Great gig.  Really enjoy it.  Funny, people will pay me to play guitar and sing but nobody has yet to step up on the pay to play GOLF yet! Photography: Started out about 7 years ago with DSLR shooting high-school sports.  Big fun.  Enjoyed it.  Now, I take the camera on vacations, (especially GOLF vacations) to shoot other places, wildlife on courses and whatever items of interest can be found.  When at home, my wife and I like to visit small town fairs, festivals and the like.  The photo output is dubbed 'downtown anywhere, USA.' Watching sports.  Stuck here in NE Ohio, I watch a lot of college / pro football and basketball.  Pretty much through the NCAA Tournament before you can even think about outdoor activities. dave

I'm in a 60s dance band down on the other end of the state.

- Shane

Fishing....Living in SE Louisiana, I love to fish the saltwater marshes, lakes and bayous.  Primarily fish for Redfish, Speckled Trout, and Flounder.  Do some freshwater fishing for bass, but prefer to fish for Brim and Crappie (we call them Sac A Lait)

Roy

Any 3-cushion billiards players around?

I played some fairly high level tournament pool (9-ball, 8-ball, straights, and 1-pocket) waaaay back in the day. Although I tried, I was never able to get even modestly good at 3-cushion. I HIGHLY recommend that anyone who would like to be truly amazed, watch a match between expert players! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I played some fairly high level tournament pool (9-ball, 8-ball, straights, and 1-pocket) waaaay back in the day. Although I tried, I was never able to get even modestly good at 3-cushion. I HIGHLY recommend that anyone who would like to be truly amazed, watch a match between expert players!

One of the reasons I like 3C is that it is much harder for the outsider observer to recognize just how lousy I am, as compared to pool where it is easy to tell.

I was lucky that I fell in among some decent 3C players who taught me a lot.  And you may be familiar with the Robert Byrne book that is half pool and half 3C - that helped a lot as well.  Much more than pool it takes knowing the shots to recognize them and that takes time if you don't have someone showing you.

If anyone wants to see what you are talking about, here's a link to the World record 3C run of 28!

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

One of the reasons I like 3C is that it is much harder for the outsider observer to recognize just how lousy I am, as compared to pool where it is easy to tell. I was lucky that I fell in among some decent 3C players who taught me a lot.  And you may be familiar with the Robert Byrne book that is half pool and half 3C - that helped a lot as well.  Much more than pool it takes knowing the shots to recognize them and that takes time if you don't have someone showing you. If anyone wants to see what you are talking about, here's a link to the World record 3C run of 28!

How would you like to have to follow that? :-O Of the 28 billiards he made, I only "saw" maybe 8 or 9 of them before he actually played the shot. My long run ever remains at a stunning 4....once. And again, I was a much better pool player than I ever was, or will be a golfer.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

One of the reasons I like 3C is that it is much harder for the outsider observer to recognize just how lousy I am, as compared to pool where it is easy to tell.

I was lucky that I fell in among some decent 3C players who taught me a lot.  And you may be familiar with the Robert Byrne book that is half pool and half 3C - that helped a lot as well.  Much more than pool it takes knowing the shots to recognize them and that takes time if you don't have someone showing you.

If anyone wants to see what you are talking about, here's a link to the World record 3C run of 28!

How would you like to have to follow that?

Of the 28 billiards he made, I only "saw" maybe 8 or 9 of them before he actually played the shot. My long run ever remains at a stunning 4....once. And again, I was a much better pool player than I ever was, or will be a golfer.

Fascinating.  I've never tried that sport ... and in fact have never even seen a billiards table without holes.

I don't think I'd like that game too much because I like putting balls into holes. :-P

I feel like that is the pool equivalent to Ben Hogan's 'fairways and greens' game.

Fascinating.  I've never tried that sport ... and in fact have never even seen a billiards table without holes.

I don't think I'd like that game too much because I like putting balls into holes.

I feel like that is the pool equivalent to Ben Hogan's 'fairways and greens' game..

Yeah, but if you make 5 points in a row in 3C you will walk on air for a week, whereas making 5 balls in a row in pool?  Yawn.  The best players in the world average between one and two points per turn.

I started playing again after about a 25 year lay-off (hard to find places to play but our senior center has a beautiful table with heated slate) and I am curious to see if playing will help my feel for distance in putting, since speed is critical in both endeavors.  More likely the problems I've been having with my putting speed will leak over into my billiard game, LOL.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!