IGNORED

Best Ball for High Handicapper?

Note: This thread is 5612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I personally wouldn't think of playing a premium ball such as a ProV1 until I could get a sleeve to last more than one round. That's $10-$12 a round just loosing one sleeve.....ouch.

There are too many great balls for reasonable prices. Dropping that kind of change on ammo would just depress me into not even playing.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely agree with the last two posts. I've ordered a 4 pack-box with NXT Extreme, NXT Tour, Pro V1 and V1x. Each time I lost one of the more expensive ones it hurt. Of course I may get by without losing a ball through 18 holes, but if I have a reall ybad day I may lose 5 or 6.

I also don't believe that having better balls makes you a better player. At a certain point yes, absolutely and on a good shot a good ball may play in your favour. But generally, as a high-handicapper, the mistakes and errors are far too big to be significantly influenced by something as miniscule as the type of ball.

For me, I found the Callaway Warbird to be a pretty good affordable ball. I think the feel is not too bad, I like the name and if one goes in the pond the pain is only a mild one

Driver: Mizuno MX-500
Hybrid: Cleveland HiBore 23°
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-P, MP-60 2-Iron
Wedges: Mizuno MX 51°, MX 56°
Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi BC1Putter: Mizuno Tour 940

Used DT solo from a ball reclaim shop. 50 pack for about $18.

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

If you like ProV1's, the NXT Tour is an excellent alternative. The Extreme is good as well. $25-$30 for a dozen. I also like the Callaway HX Hot.

I played most of this year with the Pro V1x. My favorite ball but I'll have to be dropping back to the NXT Tours now due to budget constraints.

I tried the Pinnacle FX Long for fun. Like hitting a rock. I didn't see that much distance off the tee and putting had a really bad feel.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I won a sleeve of ProV1 balls and promptly gave them to my friend who is a 2.1 index player. I play with Top Flite Gamer and sometimes (when a shop doesn't have the Gamer) with a D2 feel. Right now, a ProV1 is wasted on me!

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I am a similar handicap to you, and I personally like the Bridgestone e5+. Long enough off the tee for me, but spins nicely (or at least seems to spin nicely).

That isn't what he needs though because its likely side spin that is keeping him from hitting fairways.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

Notice that most of the cheapo balls you are being told to play are not in the sigs of the guys suggesting them.

All newbies should get free prov1's from you then

If you are trying to tell us that prov1's will be illuminating because it will emphasize their side spinning shots and show them where they are screwing up I think you're nuts because believe me any junk ball will reveal a bad slice or hook. The point is that they need a ball that is: 1: durable for when they hit the trees, cart paths, or thin wedges. 2: cheap enough that they don't mind losing them 3: anti-spin enough that they won't constantly spray balls everywhere making them hate the game of golf. A pro-v1 is none of those things.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

All newbies should get free prov1's from you then

Trust me - I really want to like another ball. I keep trying others but end up going back to the prov1 everytime. I just cant replace the feel around the green. The closest I have come in Nike One Platinums but they made my drives weaker. Its not the prov1's hurting my handicap - its the fact that every time I manage to make a few stupid shots a game (a couple toppers, serious lack of discipline when it comes to course management). I dont have a problem with slicing or hooking other than when I hit a straight hook left (and that is a swing issue) Honestly though people who dont play prov1s just for fear of losing them should play their whole round with a putter. I laugh everytime my brother calls me and tells me he shot a 115 but didnt lose any balls - not tough when you play in the equivalent of a cow pasture. Overall I dont think prov1s are a bad choice for a newb and if that is what is going to get them discouraged and quit - their heart was never fully into anyway. This is a game that once you get bitten, nothing will make you want to stop playing.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Trust me - I really want to like another ball.

To question someone love of the game because they refuse to buy a $50.00 box of balls is pretty silly. Your home course may have wide open fairways and short rough, mine has 200 foot drop off of a cliff into the ocean bordering a large percentage into the holes. My guess is with your handicap if we were to give you unmarked balls you would not be able to tell the difference.

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

Overall I dont think prov1s are a bad choice for a newb and if that is what is going to get them discouraged and quit - their heart was never fully into anyway. This is a game that once you get bitten, nothing will make you want to stop playing.

I have used Prov1s and they are great balls but at my current skill level i won't spend $50 a dozen for them and I don't have to use them to feel fully into the game. Now I will say once I get better will I start using them maybe but as for now I can't afford a ball that expensive to use and lose and throw money away when D2s or gamers will do until my swing mechanics get better. I had a really bad slice and provs made it worse. I can hit the ball straighter when driving but I am not ready to use that caliber of a ball until I get better or a raise.

To question someone love of the game because they refuse to buy a $50.00 box of balls is pretty silly. Your home course may have wide open fairways and short rough, mine has 200 foot drop off of a cliff into the ocean bordering a large percentage into the holes. My guess is with your handicap if we were to give you unmarked balls you would not be able to tell the difference.

And to say someone is going to get less discouraged because they lost a wilson or ladies ball instead if a prov1 is equally silly. People that quit easily will quit no matter what they are hitting.

I play courses full of water and woods - and once I was able to put those hazards out of my mind - I stopped losing balls. The only time I get ticked off is when we cant find a ball in short rough(usually because we went searching for my friend's definitely lost ball first) - but in the end its my fault for missing the fairway.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

like may of the people who have already posted. until you can really tell the difference between the balls when you hit them it really shouldnt matter as long as you dont mind losing a few during your round. i would say top flite D2's would be best. i really like them and they are pretty cheap so you dont feel bad when you loses one or two.

And to say someone is going to get less discouraged because they lost a wilson or ladies ball instead if a prov1 is equally silly. People that quit easily will quit no matter what they are hitting.

Point out where I said this please.

I play courses full of water and woods - and once I was able to put those hazards out of my mind - I stopped losing balls. The only time I get ticked off is when we cant find a ball in short rough(usually because we went searching for my friend's definitely lost ball first) - but in the end its my fault for missing the fairway.

Believe it or not, it isn't all about you pal.

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

Anyone ever try the Slazenger Raw Distance balls? I know Dick's Sporting Goods always has this balls.

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

pinnacle fx soft gold...best ball you can get for a cheap ball for any handicap. u can get them at any golf shop or retail store, they are about $15.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 5612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!