IGNORED

Anyone ever played with 3 clubs or less?

firstcut
Note: This thread is 2647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have been thinking it might be fun to have a 3 clubs or less game with the "crew". At least for a quick 9 after work. Has anyone ever done this?

I'm thinking I'd go with my 6, GW and putter... Heck, I'd probably score better than I do with a full bag.

Drivers:
FT-i Draw 9* W/Grafalloy Red
Sumo2 5900 9.5* W/Grafalloy Red

Irons: A3OS 3-PW Graphite/Steel regularWedges: A3OS GW, SW, LWPutter: Rossa Monza SpiderLittle round white thing:

I haven't heard anyone using three clubs, but, I have heard of people playing a round with just a 7 iron. I have not done it personally but I plan too. Ive heard it helps learn to be more creative cause you have one club for every distance.

Played in a few 3 Clubs and a Putter Stablefords.

Best score is 38 points.

5 wood, 7 iron, GW and Putter.
In My Bag:

DriverR7 Superquad, 9.5 Degrees
WoodFT 3 Wood, 15 Degrees
Wood906F 5 Wood, 18 DegreesIronsMX-25 3-9 IronWedgeVokey Tour Chrome 48 Degree WedgeX Forged Vintage Wedge 54 DegreeWedge Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60 Degree PutterUnitized Retro

Haven't tried, but I bet I could do 3W, 7I, putter and score at least as well (or badly) as usual...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

One club golf tournament below:

http://www.oneclubgolf.com/

I always wanted to play a round with 3 clubs or less against my buddy. I would use a 3 wood, or hybrid, 8 iron and wedge.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I've played a nine with just a seven iron (no putter). I think I shot around 55, which is about 7 or 8 strokes higher than a standrd score on that particular course for me. I found it somewhat liberating to not have to think through yardage on most shots. Just another full 7.

Related - I've also tired a couple speed golf rounds (limited clubs based on what you felt like carrying), and they were disasters. It helped make some of the unique stresses of Highway 18 a little more real.

Despite that aweful shot I just hit, I'm really quite bad at this.

Played a tournament several years ago, 2 man scramble, 3 clubs each, you had to play your own clubs, no swapping or sharing. Was enjoyable, but this course had an Island par 3 (150 yards) so you HAD to carry an iron that would land and hold that green, so that limited your choices there, and you had to carry a putter, so really you only had a choice on one club.

I've often played with these irons 3, 5, 7, 9, sw and putter, and several times shot better than average for me.... jmoc

"Courage is fear holding on one minute longer." Gen. Geo. S. Patton, 5 June 1944

Grom Desert Camo
Dymo HL Driver and 5 Wood
GC Hybrids 3-5 i15 irons 6-pw Tour-W 50*, 54* and 58* wedges White Hot XG Hawk Freak Neo GPS

Once a year, we play a 3 club comp, on a 9 hole course, with my local pub society.

it's good fun, i'll be bringing a 5 wood, 8 iron and putter this December.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Never just played with 3, but I do use 4 clubs alot. There is a short 9 hole course on my way home from work that I play at least once a week. I have a neat little 1930s era canvas Sunday bag. I carry 5w,6i,PW and putter.

In my  Warbird Hot stand bag:
nike.gif Dymo2 Str8 fit 10.5 or  HiBore XLS 10.5,  Steelhead Plus 3 and 5 woods,

NP2 3H,  DCI 990 4-PW,  Forged + 54/12,  RAC 58/8,

Classic #1,  NXT Tour or  Burner TP

I want to because it seems like a cool idea. I would probably take putter, W, hybrid.

P.S. - It's 3 clubs or fewer, not 3 clubs or less.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

A buddy and I used to go to a par 3 course, when we were kids. I'm talking over 20 years ago, so its been awhile. But the holes averaged around 100 to 130 and a couple in the 150 to 60 range. We'd go out with a PW, 6i, and a putter. It was a lot of fun, but he was simply better than I was, and I struggled. I like more options I guess

Three clubs maybe, but just one, I don't know. Sounds like fun, but the last thing I need is an excuse to try and hit my 7 iron 195 yards. I've been known to take swings that make me look like Goofy from Disney, where his whole body twists up like a corkscrew. The results are occasionally magnificent, but much more often bad. But I knew a guy at my local club who played with just a 7 and played to his 5 handicap.

Launcher 2009 10.5º, S
Rescue Dual 16º
Rescue Dual 19º
Maltby MTF 4-pw, Rifle 5.5
Maltby M-Series 52.6, 58.8 2008 AnserOut of the bag: Big Bertha Fusion 15º, YS6+ R (for sale or trade)

What about Driver, 7I, GW. You can use the Driver as a putter anyone ever gone this route?

I dunno about a driver to putt with.. If I putted with it as bad as I drove I'd be in a world of hurt.

Drivers:
FT-i Draw 9* W/Grafalloy Red
Sumo2 5900 9.5* W/Grafalloy Red

Irons: A3OS 3-PW Graphite/Steel regularWedges: A3OS GW, SW, LWPutter: Rossa Monza SpiderLittle round white thing:

I haven't yet, but maybe this post will get me to actually do it, for practice. I think it would be really, really good to play (for practice) this way. I did see something in a golf magazine awhile back along these lines. I think it said take a 5 iron, a wedge and putter.

I've had rounds where I played hit my 3h off the tee, then used the same club for my second shot or my 7i if it was a par 4. Then my 56* wedge and a putter, so four club rounds for sure and I actually shot well for my skill as I recall. I want to say it was 86 or 87 if memory serves.
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

• 6 years later...

I realize this is an old thread, but if you've never tried this I highly recommend it.  Personally, I had a lot of fun just deciding which 3 clubs to pick.  There is a lot of strategy involved and I have tried several combinations.  The first time my buddies and I tried 3 clubs was one afternoon after work.  I probably spent half of that day trying to decide if I should pick a putter as one of my clubs!

It absolutely makes you play more creatively, but it also can make you be more analytical at the same time, and gives you a completely different perspective, especially if you try this on a course you play often.  I remember one occasion my longest club was a 6 iron (I think that day I chose 6ir, SW & putter).  It was very strange teeing off with a 6ir on par 4s and par 5s that I usually hit driver on, and then playing the second shot from an area of the fairway that can make the hole look/play very different.

I find myself rejuvenated after these rounds (I've done this 3 times, 9 holes each time) and it fires me up to play.  Anyone else feel inspired afterwards?

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!