IGNORED

Golf Dilemma

bogeyhitter25
Note: This thread is 5602 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Christmas is just about a month away and I love it. I also love that it hasn't snowed yet up here. Anyway, I'm trying to convince my mother into getting nice irons for myself. She's trying to tell me that I should get knock-offs instead of buying name brand ones. I've had knock-offs and I hate them with a passion. Anybody have some tips on how to convince her into getting me good irons? Thanks in advance.

Why don't you suggest that you chip in for part of the cost of the new set that you want?

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

tell her you'll stay a virgin until you marry when you graduate from college and you won't drink until you are 21

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

You've gotta be realistic. The object here is to get her to cover as much as possible. If the irons will cost $700-800 you need to estimate how much she regularly spends and come at here with a resonable offer. If she spends $400 normally tell her you will cover $250-350 and she whats shes says.

Judging by your handi, you play often, and irons usually last much longer than a driver, justify your reasoning for choosing those specific irons, demo the irons at a golf store while she is there, and point out (subtily) that there are much more expensive irons available. This sounds like you're using her but, its not as bad as it sounds.

Good Luck.

Free knockofs are better than nothing. I'm sure you've checked thm out so I'm not gonna give you any websites. Since you're just 15, I'm asuming you don't have enough to pay the difference between knockoffs and what you want, and times are tough right now. Just be happy she's willing to get you something new. Or, you can check ebay or craigslist or golf trade-in stores and get a used set. Just don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

My experience with knockoffs (which is really dated and old so things may be different now) is they just don't play the same. I've had Tommy Armour Silverscots forever...but back when they were new (early '90s) a friend had some TA knockoffs (I can't remember what they were called, something close to 845s) I tried them and they really were not the same...distance and accuracy suffered. Maybe it is/was that the metal materials weren't the same or something.

As mentioned earlier, irons last a long time. I'd get the good ones.

The bag: Atlas
In the Bag:
Ti 460 Launcher 10.5*
HiBore (steel) 15*
Launcher (steel) 19* & 22* 845 Silverscot 3-PWDaiwa SWCouger PutterThe Ball: Long & Soft Noodle

ask for money and buy what you want, fortunately thats what my mom and mother-in-law does and I buy golf equipment of my choice.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Tell her you will do dishes and laundry for 6 months.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

just have her get you some used ones. my mom bougt my pings used when i was 15 and im still playing them... im 23 now.

have her read my post and she will realize how long you "will" keep them.. then she may cave in

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

Does nobody think that there is only so much money she can spend on Christmas? I mean, I don't know anything but maybe they aren't rolling in money (and sorry bogeyhitter, but I doubt you know everything about your family's finances). There's more important things than Christmas presents, maybe the money needs to go to that? Hours are getting cut, jobs are being lost all over the country. I find it's better to happily accept presents than to complain it's not exactly what you wanted. Maybe things are OK with your family's financial situation right now but maybe, just maybe your mom is thinking about a month from now, or 6 months from now. I find it amazing that people are telling him how to cut a deal with his mom rather than take what he's given when they don't know why she is doing what she is doing. Maybe you can show her my post.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I think you will appreciate the irons that much more if you work for the money to pay for them yourself. If you are willing to go used you should be able to get some quality clubs for a pretty reasonable price.

FWIW, I'm 35, make six figures, and I play 15 yr old clubs that I bought off Ebay for $45. I could go buy something new and flashy, but these fit me very well and perform great, so why should I? They wouldn't make me a better golfer, and I am not out to impress anyone with my golf clubs.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Ask for money. Don't get knock-offs.

Get a job, and buy your own irons. How long could it possibly take to save a few hundred bucks to blow on some good used irons?

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

My suggestion is, as is suggested here, if you want precise control over what you get and if it's more expensive than your mother was planning to go for the gift, then you need to invest your own income into it and buy it. If you can nudge her to give you assistance buying it as a gift, that's the best deal. Frankly, if I offered my son a set of clubs and he balked and asked to be given more expensive ones, I'd be pretty upset (especially since he's only 2...). If, on the other hand, he made it clear he appreciated the gift and was willing to throw his own resources into it, I'd feel better about it.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

My suggestion is, as is suggested here, if you want precise control over what you get and if it's more expensive than your mother was planning to go for the gift, then you need to invest your own income into it and buy it. If you can nudge her to give you assistance buying it as a gift, that's the best deal. Frankly, if I offered my son a set of clubs and he balked and asked

That is such a lie, if your 2 yr. old said he really wanted some pretty new Mizuno's, you'd be beaming.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

You could tell her that if she gets you a decent set, they will last longer and you won't have to keep buying a new cheap set of irons. That being said, I got a new set of x-18s for my eight grade graduation present and while they are great, I used to have more confidence in my old ping eye 2 knockoffs. SO IF YOU HAVE TRUST IN OR PLAY WELL WITH YOUR NEW IRONS NOW DON'T GET NEW ONES!!! Mark Calcavecchia has been using the same pings for ten years.

Taylormade R7 460
Lynx Parallax 15 Degree
Nickent 3DX Ironwood 18 degree
Callaway X-18's
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56 degreeOdyssey Black Series No. 1

That is such a lie, if your 2 yr. old said he really wanted some pretty new Mizuno's, you'd be beaming.

Guilty as charged!!

Actually, he'd love a set of golf clubs -- he insists on playing with mine if they're in the house (usually keep 'em in the trunk). His idea of golf is a little different from mine, though, and is quite likely to break anything in his immediate vicinity.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 5602 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!