IGNORED

How many clubs would you carry?

Note: This thread is 5592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. If there were no limit, how many clubs would you carry?

• Less than 14
    • More than 16

If there were no limit for number of clubs to carry, how many do you think you would carry? I know I would like about 2 extra clubs than I currently carry, and maybe even 3 (...or 4, or 5....). You can look at my signature to see what I currently carry, but I think I would like to add a 5 wood (about same distance as 2H that I currently carry, but I like it better off fairway than 2H, but 2H better off tee), 5 iron (there is a gap between my 5H and 6I that is about 20 yards, but too much gap between 5I and 4H to eliminate 5H) and another high lofted wedge (62* or higher). If there was no limit I might also think about a really low lofted driver for windy days or when ground is really hard (my current driver flies very high, but I've found most of the time I like that because the ball is less likely to run into trouble).

What do you think? Maybe a petition to USGA to demand the limit be moved to 20.

Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

i think i'd like to carry a few more hybrids, a 5wood, 7wood, and maybe an additional wedge...but that would take all the fun out of the game!

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

I like the 14 club rule. More clubs mean more choices, and I have a problem with making bad choices as it is.

In my  Warbird Hot stand bag:
nike.gif Dymo2 Str8 fit 10.5 or  HiBore XLS 10.5,  Steelhead Plus 3 and 5 woods,

NP2 3H,  DCI 990 4-PW,  Forged + 54/12,  RAC 58/8,

Classic #1,  NXT Tour or  Burner TP

I would add a 64* wedge, a strong 3 wood, a 2 iron (just for fun), and a 5 or 6 iron hybrid for chipping. Or maybe that Odyssey chipper. I imagine that you would see a lot of creativity in people's bags.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

Driver-8.5
3 wood-13
3 wood 16
2 hybrid
2-PW
50, 56, 60, 64.
Putter.

Money!

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

I was just thinking about this yesterday! Honestly, if I could carry any number of clubs it'd go like this...

9ish* driver
12* driver
3,5 & 7 woods
3,4,5 & 6 hybrids
2-pw
52,56,60,64,73* wedges
an Alien wedge just for the sand
a chipper
an Anser style putter
my G5i Craze-E for inside 5 feet

what is that...27 clubs?

Unlimited clubs you say? My bag would look something like this:

47 inch 6* driver
44.5 inch 9.5* driver
3 and 5 woods
2-pw
50,52,54,56,58,60,62, and 64* wedges
putter

Clock system with all them wedges would cover almost every yardage imaginable. It would be a numbers game. No more would I have to deal with that stupid thing called "feel".

Cleveland Hi-bore 9.5* stiff, Taylormade Burner T3 14.5* stiff, Mizuno mp 32 3-PW, Nike SV Tour Black Satin 52, 56, 60* wedges, Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 35 inches
In the market for a new driver, then my bag will be the shiz.

Since I often play with less than 14, I certainly see no need for more than that. I played a round a couple of weeks ago with only 8 clubs and scored right in the middle of my normal range. I do that from time to time just to keep my imagination in good shape. That way when I'm in a situation where I NEED to hit a low 3W from 130 yards to escape the trees, I I know I can do it because I have done it. I learn to use clubs in ways that nobody else I play with does.

The reason that the rule was instituted was because there was a time when some players were carrying more than 30 clubs... That was considered excessive. Since golf is supposed to be a game of skill, it was somehow decided that a 14 club limit ( don't know exactly how that number was arrived at ) would require a player to develop some of those skills, rather than just pull a different club for every possible situation. And let's face it, 14 is more than sufficient. I'd bet that most players can go through their bags and pick at least one club that they only use once every couple of rounds. Instead of going to 15, take that rarely used one out and try the other club that you think might help... you might be right. It may not be a case of needing more clubs, but of simply having the correct mix in the 14 that you do carry.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

in 1938 the USGA made that arbitrary decision... Pretty much... yeah... Driver, 3-wood, 5-wood, 1-9 irons, PW, GW, SW, LW, XW, putter... i think that is nineteen

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Irons 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-pw-gw-56-60--Driver 3wd-#2hybrid #4 hybrid-putter.17 clubs but make a caveat that if you carry more than 14 you must really carry them on your back.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

i think i would carry 15, but not more than that. I might add a strong 3 wod or a gw, but i would not want too many clubs, because i want to keep my distances simple and my options at a reasonable number.

id like 15...

here's my reason...

my 3hybrid an 4hybrid i like in medium to short grass but i hate hitting them off of tree roots and dirt/gravel... id rather have a 3 or 4 iron that i rarely use an wouldnt care beating up to hit from ugly lies...

other than that... i think im fine with 14
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I would be well over 16. Although I will agree with some here and say that some skills would be dimishished, especially the 'feel' clubs. And it would make the game a little less challenging since you could have a club for every shot. It would be fun to try though!

Driver - 8.5 and 12 degree
3-wood
5-wood
2 & 3 hybrid
2-PW
50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60 degree wedges (talk about filling the gaps)
putter

That is 22. Hopefully I won't have to carry the bag.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

i would carry
1) 9.5* driver
2) 15* 5 wood
3) 21* hybrid (for rough)
5) 5-9 irons (im a very long hitter)
6) 48, 52, 56, 60, 64 wedges
7) putter (either oddysey or cameron, depending on what felt good)
thats 14 isnt it?
or else add a 4 iron and take out the 64....hmmmmm....

In my vaporlite carry bag
DRIVER ft-5. 9* Mitsubishi Diamana BlueBoard 73 X-stiff
FWY WOOD: 980F 15 EI-70 X Stiff
Hybrid: Burner tour launch 4 hybrid
IRONS mp-57 4-pw with project x 6.5 shaftsPUTTER: Rossa Classic AGSI+ Monte Carlo WEDGES vokey spin milled oil can 52.08, 58.12Niblick 42*

I'd take the 2 iron out, keep my 7 wood nd add a loft wedge.

The bag: Atlas
In the Bag:
Ti 460 Launcher 10.5*
HiBore (steel) 15*
Launcher (steel) 19* & 22* 845 Silverscot 3-PWDaiwa SWCouger PutterThe Ball: Long & Soft Noodle

Note: This thread is 5592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!