IGNORED

ProV1's - Enough Already

Note: This thread is 3459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There is a lack of information regarding balls and equipment in general. Not that this doesn't also apply to other sports, but for people coming from a background in baseball, football, or soccer (sports where equipment is all pretty much equal) you are kind of at a loss for which way to go. And so that vacume is filled by the various manufactures who are all vying for consumer dollars. Then you have the social aspect where some brands carry more cachet than others. Certainly such consumer impressions are founded upon quality, but that doesn't necessarily hold true in all comparisons. Even for the savvy consumer finding actual information regarding which equipment is best for their game isn't easy and most often is subjective at best. That just reinforces the belief that buying the best is one way to insure that a golfer isn't holding him or herself back.

As has been said in this thread the one consequence of so many golfers choosing tour caliber balls is that if you pay attention when playing you're sure to find a few.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I do not play Pro-V1's or any other premium ball, although I would if I could afford it because I do think they make a difference, especially in short game. I'm a pretty consistent player (most of the time), but I can't chip with a cheap, hard covered ball near as well as with an expensive soft covered (urethane) ball. I have found a couple decent balls to substitute such as the Bridgestone e5 (at least I think that's the urethane covered ball) and a couple others, but they are not quite the same. The cheaper balls with soft covers so not perform as well with long game or short game.

If a person can't control their driver ball flight then they have no reason to use a premium ball, but if you can control ball flight there are some advantages to them for most golfers. With that said, I don't think it's a $45 advantage (unless you just have too much money). These days I typically use a 3 piece ball in the $20-30 range (usually the lower end of that) such as Wilson Zip (very underrated ball), Bridgestone e5 (I know it's only a 2 piece) and e7+, Top Flight Gamer (I was surprised I actually kinda liked it), Callaway Bite, TaylorMade Burner TP and those in the same category. However, if I find a premium ball on course (or may playing partner's bag when he's not looking), I'll play it until it's no longer playable or lost.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

OK... this is a little bit of a rant...

I just recently decided to go with ProV1's (I used to play the lower cost, lower spin balls primarily based on the cost and the fact that I'm not good at golf).

I decided to switch to ProV1's for the following reasons:
  • I'm not a slicer. (Two bit hack of a golfer? Absolutely....but I don't slice. My high handicap primarily stems from issues on, into or around the green. )
  • I prefer the feel.
  • Better distance.
  • Better control into the green.
  • Firm greens where I play.
This rant is much like one about people hating when other people text message or any other of the sort.....how does this really have any effect on you...let alone a negative effect to the point where you need to "vent"? (Note: I'm not stating that this is a poor debate....could prove quite informative for many. )

I think the same frustrations could be said for just about every peice of equipment related to golf. There will always be those of us that buy equipment we will never utilize fully based on marketing and potential confidence builders. I have Scotty putter that I love but guess what? It doesn't really make me any better. I am technically a hacker and am trying to get better so I bought equipment I could put some confidence in.

BTW, I haven't bought any balls since I started and play whatever I find/am given by clients.

What's in my Bagboy Revolver cart bag:

Polarity MTR Irons 2&3 (hybrid) thru PW
R7 Burner Draw Driver 460cc
R7 Burner 3 Wood 5614 Vokey Wedge Tour Chrome Studio Select 1.5 ProV1's

I stink at golf but play Pro V1s and can tell the difference in feel, chipping and putting. I think every player out there would benefit from a ball, whatever it may be, that will perform best for them near and on the greens over a few yards more off the tee. In most cases that means a premium ball over the rock hard GI balls.

I stink at golf but play Pro V1s and can tell the difference in feel, chipping and putting. I think every player out there would benefit from a ball, whatever it may be, that will perform best for them near and on the greens over a few yards more off the tee. In most cases that means a premium ball over the rock hard GI balls.

Just as a note, I remember reading about Sergio working with Taylor Made on their new premium balls. The article said he worked for a couple hours on short shots (110 yards and less) the first time with the ball before he ever even tried it with driver. He supposedly told Taylor Made that he liked the feel and performance around green and he would adjust to how it was with driver.

Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I LOVE Filet Mignon!

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Why did you have to get that off your chest?

why not... that's what a forum is for... to talk golf... I thought this might me an interesting little thread

If your gonna rant about something rant about people getting down on the ground and lining up their third putt for triple bogey like it was a birdie putt for the masters.......and then missing making me wait all the while

we've all heard those rants countless times... this was something a little new and was inspired by a post about Christmas gifts where several people recomended ProVs for someone without any info about that persons game. I think ball choice is important and should be given some thought... it's not a one size or type fits all type thing and people recomending ProVs while knowing little to nothing about the player seems kind of counterproductive to me.

This rant is much like one about people hating when other people text message or any other of the sort.....how does this really have any effect on you...let alone a negative effect to the point where you need to "vent"? (Note: I'm not stating that this is a poor debate....could prove quite informative for many.

I am the guy who hates texting too... I hate that commercial that goes my BFF Jill LOL HTH etc., etc. I don't know exactly what is wrong with me, some things just bug me... here's a short list.

-this topic -texting -jeans on a golf course -non collared shirts on golf course -people who talk on cells loud in public places -slow drivers -rude drivers -not fixing ball marks -talking during my swing -people who don't train their dogs and expect them to behaive -people wearing street clothes to court -smoking right outside buildings
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

When I pull in to the parking lot at the golf course, I see a lot of good players who were smartly playing Pro V balls on the course get into their AMG Mercedes cars and then drive like Mr. Magoo. They do not have the skill to appreciate the handling of those cars, and can get into trouble with the horsepower. It doesn't bug me, though.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I am the guy who hates texting too... I hate that commercial that goes my BFF Jill LOL HTH etc., etc. I don't know exactly what is wrong with me, some things just bug me... here's a short list.

I know....that's why I said it. And I'm with ya on a few of those......

To each his/her own.

I agree with wachesawgolfer. Hackers can benefit from a premium ball, depending on their game.

I'm a hack, but don't lose balls much, unless I'm having a really bad day. My short game has improved since switching to a premium ball this year as I can hold greens much better now. Also, the lobber is much more effective out of the rough with no room to work when using a premium ball. My guess is that the premium ball will save me a few strokes per round (assuming I make the putt).

R9 SuperTri 10.5*
Exotics XCG-3 4W 16.5*
Idea Pro 18* and/or 20*
i15
X-Tour 54/60PM Trinidad TP Black LDPAll in a SCB and MicroCart

When I pull in to the parking lot at the golf course, I see a lot of good players who were smartly playing Pro V balls on the course get into their AMG Mercedes cars and then drive like Mr. Magoo. They do not have the skill to appreciate the handling of those cars, and can get into trouble with the horsepower. It doesn't bug me, though.

Really? The Magoo part bugs me, but just until I shake my head and get over how much I'd love to drive that car on some empty back roads. It bugs me a lot more than seeing some high handicapper playing a Pro V. Then again, I want that car. I don't care about that ball.

In the end it's their money, so who cares? It's not like it's hurting me... unless they forget to yell fore and hit me or run a stop sign and hit me. And there's a big difference between negligence and, well, buying into marketing (gullibility, in many, but not all, cases).

• Administrator
90% of golfers out there won't see any significant difference between a ProV1 and say an NXT Tour, HX Bite, or Top-Flite Gamer for that matter. So why pay double the price?

Depends on what you mean by "significant."

Most golfers, I would guess, could probably tell the difference in feel when putting. Short game chip shots. How the ball reacts when hitting into their firm greens. It may not be "significant" but they can tell the difference. For some, "double the price" isn't necessarily "significant" money, either.
i cant tell the difference between the Precept Laddie X and a ProV at all.

You must not be a very perceptive 4.6 handicap.

I can sort of see your point but, I tend to prefer softer balls because otherwise during putting it feels like a rock.

See? He doesn't fit into your mythical "90%."

I'm not responding too seriously because you were ranting, but suffice to say I think you're off base.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

See? He doesn't fit into your mythical "90%."

yes, it was a rant and not meant to be taken too seriously... but you can't honestly tell me that you don't think a lot of golfers play ProVs for some of the reasons I stated... which may not be good reasons at all. I admit... even a high handicapper can benefit from a high spin ball, but ProVs certainly aren't the best ball for as many people as you see playing them. Anyway... it was interesting reading everyone's responses to my rant... and I hope no one was offended... I just think many golfers are buying these balls for the wrong reasons and might be better off with something else... even if it's not 90%.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

• Administrator
but you can't honestly tell me that you don't think a lot of golfers play ProVs for some of the reasons I stated.

Very few of the people I do play with the expensive balls unless they find them or they're given to them (by me, if I scuff one up a little too much).

And of the few who do - even up to the 14 handicaps - I'm certain they know the difference. But that sample size is small: about three people. Six if we count some staff members on TST that I don't play with all that frequently.
ProVs certainly aren't the best ball for as many people as you see playing them.

I must not see as many people playing them as you do. It's nowhere near an epidemic or anything.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We always talk about how much of golf is mental. Well, hitting a $4 golf ball, you are more likely to play the intelligent shot than the "hero" shot (that you cannot make anyway) so you don't lose the ball. End result? Better play. It's not just the spin, ya know.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Depends on what you mean by "significant."

well, i think i am pretty perceptive when it comes to the feel of golf balls. i can tell the difference between a cheap piece of crap Top Flite ball and a ProV, but I feel no difference in the ProV and the Laddie X. they both play and feel similar to me. and most (if not all) of the tests ive seen online say they play very similar too. and thats why i buy the Laddie X's for half the price. in fact, here is just an example of one of them:

.................... ... DIST SPIN HEIGHT Titleist Pro V1 ... 145.9 6586.3 121.9 Precept Laddie X 145.5 6874.7 119.4 if you can feel the difference between those 2 balls then you have some really good hands

Note: This thread is 3459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!