IGNORED

Best score after playing for one year

jermzkill
Note: This thread is 3505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I want to know how bad or good you guys were the first year you started playing (if you can remember)... I just want to see how bad/good I am compared to others... on 18 I score/average 105 - 110 strokes, I still haven't broke 100.

I started playing on a real course maybe 6 months ago. I've been driving/putting/pitching for about a year.
Driver: 3dx driver 10.5*
Irons: 3dx hybrid irons 5-P
Iron: X-14 3 iron
Wood: MT 4wood 16.5*
Wedge: Lob 60*Putter: White Hot 2-ballBag: Xtreme Sport Stand Bag

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On my fisrt year I believe I broke 100... but for me was really hard.

Greetings!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

I remember that it took me three years to break 90. I started off shooting 115-125.

My advice
Practice short game, chipping, putting, and bunker play 75% of time. This develops the feel and tempo of the golf swing. Keep the driver and 3 wood at home until you can hit 5 wood or irons into fairway most of the time. Play par 3 courses to develop short game as much as possible. Play from the front tees if playing 18.

Get a short game lesson, work on flexibility. Get a grip, stance, ball position lesson. Get fitted for clubs.

Long game will develop naturally as short game improves. see my simple swing thoughts for the long game thread.

DO NOT read every instruction tip you can get your hands on

Start with Harvey Pinnick's liitle red book. Lots of good simple swing thoughts there.
Play by the rules, play as the ball lays, keep stroking the ball until it goes in the cup.
Enjoy yourself. Golf is extremely frustrating until you shoot 84 or so for the first time (took me ten years to break 80)

Have fun.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

thanks for the advice uttexas... I wish I could take some lessons, but I really don't have the money to do so. I've def been practicing my short game a lot. My long range shots are horrible compared to my short game, but it finally came along today. I was hitting my 3 and 5 woods almost 200 yards off the fairway. For some reason I can use those clubs better without a tee than with a tee. Is there a reason for that lol?

I still can't use my driver to save my life, but I won't give up on it!

Don't be discouraged. If your fundamentals are improving, your score will improve -- and usually that happens in spurts. Things will come together and breaking 100 will be suddenly easy, then you will notice getting to 90 will typically come sooner. I say all this assuming you have a good grip, take a few lessons and have a swing plan, and you practice -- especially your short game.

I've always thought golf was like quantum mechanics in the beginning -- you do not go out and improve a stroke or two at a time, rather, you make quantum jumps when something fundamental becomes second nature. In other words, you will change levels -- not slow continuous change. This is the way it is for many people.

When you hit a plateau, it is always time to access your weaknesses and work on specific problems until you gain more skills. For this, nothing beats going to a good teacher who can watch you and suggest immediate things to do.

Just some thoughts...

RC

The grip thing, I know it's a major part of your swing. Recently I played with a 80-90 round shooter and he told me my grip was completely incorrect. I was gripping way too tight and holding it basically like a baseball bat, causing me to hook the ball. He showed me how to grip it which felt pretty loose but he told me it was correct. I don't hook the ball much with the new grip, but I am pretty unconsistent with it. I've practiced with it several times at the range, although when I go out and play 18 I always go back to playing my old grip because I feel more comfortable using it. So I'll just aim left and play my hook haha with my old grip, I need to practice the correct grip a lot more I guess. What do you think?

thanks for the advice uttexas... I wish I could take some lessons, but I really don't have the money to do so. I've def been practicing my short game a lot. My long range shots are horrible compared to my short game, but it finally came along today. I was hitting my 3 and 5 woods almost 200 yards off the fairway. For some reason I can use those clubs better without a tee than with a tee. Is there a reason for that lol?

You're welcome. PS, I have only had one lesson since picking up the game at 17yo. (if I could have afforded a lesson early on, I believe, I would have improved faster. I was a good athlete in highschool, picked up golf due to sports injuries (only game I could play pain free). I thought golf would come easy, like other sports/skills. Dead wrong. Very few people are natural golfers (especially if starting later in life). I suppose hockey players pick it up quickest (similar tempo) Start the forward swing slowly, build momentum, strike the ball, follow through completely.

Enjoy yourself out there. If you enjoy reading, also pick up Golf in the Kingdom by Michael Murphy

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Oh, and as far as hitting 3 and 5 woods better off the fairway, that is a good sign. Try teeing the ball low when hitting these clubs off the tee. You can place the tee just 1/8th inch above the ground to give yourself the "perfect" lie. Placing the tee this way, you are basically hitting off the turf, but you give yourself the "perfect" lie.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

I've been playing about 15 months now. My lowest score came in July (9 months in) where I shot an 82 and I have 5 other scores in the 80's. My scoring average at this point is a 92.

Don't compare yourself to other people, though. I feel I've progressed pretty well for playing just over a year, but there are still guys I play with that make me look bad. If I compared my game to what they were doing, I'd get discouraged in short order. Your own game is your best barometer. You'll get there.

The grip thing, I know it's a major part of your swing. Recently I played with a 80-90 round shooter and he told me my grip was completely incorrect. I was gripping way too tight and holding it basically like a baseball bat, causing me to hook the ball. He showed me how to grip it which felt pretty loose but he told me it was correct. I don't hook the ball much with the new grip, but I am pretty unconsistent with it. I've practiced with it several times at the range, although when I go out and play 18 I always go back to playing my old grip because I feel more comfortable using it. So I'll just aim left and play my hook haha with my old grip, I need to practice the correct grip a lot more I guess. What do you think?

There is no one "ideal grip" for everyone. For a good idea of fundamentally sound grips, pick up John Jacobs "practical golf". This is also the best book (in my opinion) for beginners on the mechanics and feel of the swing. The book is considered the gold standard for the hitting zone--what the club head should be doing approaching the ball and then afte hitting it.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

klaymon I have a question about your wedge setup. The clubs I purchased on eBay came with a 56* and 60* which doesn't seem like too much of a difference. I pretty much only use my 60 if I'm like 50-70 yards out and my P if I'm 75-95... When does your 56* come into play for you? I'm thinking about taking it out of my bag since I never use it.

I see that you are a righty, and say theat you "aim left" to compensate for your hook. I think you are referring to "opening" your stance to straighten out your hook. PS this is another good sign. Natural drawers of the ball seem to pick up the game faster.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

I see that you are a righty, and say theat you "aim left" to compensate for your hook. I think you are referring to "opening" your stance to straighten out your hook. PS this is another good sign. Natural drawers of the ball seem to pick up the game faster.

Wait so what do you recommend? Keep playing my hook with my old grip or try to only use this new grip to fix my hook? The new 'correct' grip just seems uncomfortable and loose, I think I've been using my old grip for too long thats why it feels right but if I keep using my old grip it may be to late to change it down the road... hmmm

Wait so what do you recommend? Keep playing my hook with my old grip or try to only use this new grip to fix my hook? The new 'correct' grip just seems uncomfortable and loose, I think I've been using my old grip for too long thats why it feels right but if I keep using my old grip it may be to late to change it down the road... hmmm

You caught me. I was trying not to answer that question without seeing your grip and swing in person. There have been a few successful golfers with a baseball type grip (Rick Rhoden, Johnny Bench, a few others). I would hate to say anymore without seeing your grip and swing in person. Ok....in general, 98% of the time, learn a grip that works for 98% of good golfers---see John Jacobs "practical golf" for examples of good grips. This is not a popular statement, but Hogan's grip "the classic golf grip" works for him, but results in too much fade for the average player.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

Ive beenplaying at a country club course, which is moderatly tough for a year and my best score was 81. What helped me the most is me and my buddies played almost everyday during the summer (16 years old, no job, no worries ). Two of them were scratch while the other was a 4. Very amazing players. Watchign them swing at the ball and their tendencies on the course honestly helped the most. It sounds corny but it actually worked. I would ask questions about their choices of club and sometimes what they were thinkign about playng a partcular shot. Plus the odd tip of course.

In my White Hoofer Vantage Bag:

Driver : R7 Draw
Woods : 3 hybrid
Irons : MP-60Wedge : 54 deg 58 degPutter : RED X 35' (in love)Ball : TP BlackBest Round: 80Closest to Hole-In-One: 0.5''

I just started golfing in july. My best 18 was a 108. Last three times i've played i've shot 113. My very first time i played i shot a 78 on 9! i know, absolutely horrible. I'm surprised it didn't discourage me. I play at least once a week, hit the range about once a week and practice as much as i can. I'm golfing tomorrow and the temperature is just above freezing! thank god for golf cart covers and propane heaters

Well we're talking 1991 here... (I was 4)... back when I was playing par-three courses and changing pars

I think I shot like 110s my first year...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

klaymon I have a question about your wedge setup. The clubs I purchased on eBay came with a 56* and 60* which doesn't seem like too much of a difference. I pretty much only use my 60 if I'm like 50-70 yards out and my P if I'm 75-95... When does your 56* come into play for you? I'm thinking about taking it out of my bag since I never use it.

My 56* is my primary club when I'm in a bunker. I also use it around the 75-90 yard area. Anything beyond that is a toned down Gap Wedge (52*). I can get my 56* to about 100 yards but that's pouring it on and getting good contact. I'm learning with wedges especially, that a slightly slower, smoother swing is better.

I use my 60* from about 70 yds and in. It is my primary green side club.

Note: This thread is 3505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!