IGNORED

Best score after playing for one year

jermzkill
Note: This thread is 3526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

jermzkill -- taking a lesson is a worthwhile investment because the grip will be a first order of business, but you will get several good ideas to work on. It is always easier to catch tendancies that are wrong earlier than later. Once you ingrain a habit like a bad grip, change is only harder -- but will still be worth it in the long run.

If you cannot afford a lesson, I would suggest giving up a round of golf and using that money for a lesson. At the least, go to the library and find Hogan's Five Fundamentals and study the grip, especially his left hand.

Good luck and good golf,
RC

RC

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in my first year, which was when i was like 10, i think in was shooting around 100, maybe a little more. In these last two years i have become bigger and stronger, and have dropped around 10 strokes. I am getting to the point where i can almost consistantly shoot in the 70's. Of course this depends on the course, difficult ones i top out at around 86, and if i play well on easy courses i can shoot par (70,71,72)

I shot an 83 two years ago, which was my first year. prior to that, my best score was 88. but i averaged around 95. once you break 90, things really get a lot easier

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

I shot over 100 the first time I played then haven't shot over 100 since. I broke 90 within a year or so and 80 three years into playing.

I am pretty athletic though and my father and grandfather were scratch golfers so I had good fundamentals to start with because of them.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

it took me over a year to break 100. then probably another year until i broke 90. And probably another 2 years until I broke 80 (playing twice a week AT MOST but with some driving range time squeezed in). I"ve been consistently in the 70's for a few years now (more time to golf now). I havent finished 18 holes under par yet (even (72) is my best - 3 times so far), but I have played 9 holes under par 2 times (34-35). just cant put two under par 9's back to back yet....

I have absolutely no idea. The only milestone I remember is the first time I broke 80 (that was almost 20 years ago), and I'd been playing more or less seriously for about 4 years before that happened.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

In my first year I beleive my low round was a 94. Ive now been playing for a year and about 7 months, and my low is a 78

Clubs I havent thrown in a lake yet

Driver: R7 CGB max 9.5*
Woods: R5 3, and 5 woods
Hybrids: Rescue Burner 22*, 25*Irons: CG Red 6 - PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: 1 of 100 handmade pebble beach http://scottycameronblog.com/2007/09...pebble-beach/#Vegas golf sucks!!

golf was like quantum mechanics

I agree with the idea that you make quantum leaps instead of gradual improvements. As your game improves through lessons and/or practice the strokes drop off in bunches ...at least for higher handicaps.

I've been playing for about three years as a weekend golfer and averaged 105+ in the first year, mid 90's in the second year (broke 90 a few times), and this is my 3rd year and I am now averaging high 80's with a low of 81. Once you break a scoring barrier it usually sticks for a time until you break another...I think those breakthroughs are what makes this game so addictive.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

My best score was just this summer at 99.I averaged 106.Somehow I feel kind of that my scores are worse than my ability,but it's really just the consistency of contact that's the problem.

Also I have devoted a large amount of practice to the short stuff,because I want to become a great wedge player,so when I restart rounds next year,I can hit the ground running.It's mainly confidence now,and i'm sure i'm due a leap forward.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

I have been playing since February and my best score so far is 86. I spend a good amount of time practicing each week, I play a local par 3 course 2-3 times a week and practice putting and chipping everytime I go out there. I havent shot higher than a 94 in several months now. I would say the most important factors for improving my game were hitting the driver consistantly (keeping it in play). Then working on short game to increase the up and downs. I have really worked on putting in the last several months and it has done wonders for my score. Although I thinking getting the driver in play is more important for a high handicap.

Driver: Sumo 5000
Fairway Woods:RPM #3
Irons: Pro-Combo Tour 3-P
Wedge: SV Tour 56° VR 52°
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Tour i/ix or Pro-V1x

my first year was this year and my best is 75 well accually i played 7 times the year before and my best was 92 with kid clubs.

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

My best round after one year was 74 last winter in Maui at Wailea, I shot 38-38. I started in May '07, and now I'm addicted

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

dam how the hell do you guys break 80's after one year!!! crazy.
Driver: 3dx driver 10.5*
Irons: 3dx hybrid irons 5-P
Iron: X-14 3 iron
Wood: MT 4wood 16.5*
Wedge: Lob 60*Putter: White Hot 2-ballBag: Xtreme Sport Stand Bag

Average score is 92, handicap is 18.5 and I fired an 84 on my last round of the year, birdied the last hole too! Great way to end the season, can't wait to get started next year.

Driver: R9
Fairway Woods: 07 Burner Rescue
Hybrid: 07 Burner Rescue
Irons: X-16's
Wedges: CG10 Black Pearl 54* Putter: Rossa Fontana

dam how the hell do you guys break 80's after one year!!! crazy.

Wondering the same thing.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!