IGNORED

Best score after playing for one year

jermzkill
Note: This thread is 3526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I shot 102 today (44 on the back 9, front 9 was horrible)!!! Almost getting to my goal of breaking 100
Driver: 3dx driver 10.5*
Irons: 3dx hybrid irons 5-P
Iron: X-14 3 iron
Wood: MT 4wood 16.5*
Wedge: Lob 60*Putter: White Hot 2-ballBag: Xtreme Sport Stand Bag

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

strong work. You are doing really well.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

i have played for just under 6 months but unlike you, i have had a fair amount of lessons becuase as a junior at my golf club i get them free . In those 6 months my average scorehas dropped form 115 to around 92. So i would consider myself to have improved very quickly but i have the advantage of age and having lessons.

In my ozone bag:

905r 10.5 Graphite Design YS-6+ R
909 F2 15.5 Aldila VooDoo Fairway S
Benross VeloCT Resuce 21 Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum R MX300s 4-PW KBS Tour S MP-T10 50/8 Chrome 54/11 and 60/7 Studio Select Newport II 35"

My best round after one year was 74 last winter in Maui at Wailea, I shot 38-38. I started in May '07, and now I'm addicted

hah 38+38=74? Hah math is always off in Hawaii. Hah sorry to point it out.

Im never really sure how many times a season people have to play to be considred in a poll or things like this. Since I was about 25 or so I played maybe 3 or maybe 6 times a season, then 2 years ago I finally had the time and bought a membership and played 60 times a season. So when did I acually start playing 10 years ago or 2 years ago? when I played only like 3 or so times a season May to Sept, I would average 100 i guess get into the high 90's sometimes (hcap 20). After playing my first season with a membership and plaing 3 times a week I would shoot low 90's and a few times get into the mid 80's (hcap 16). Last season I was shooting in the low 80's and a handfull of times was in the mid to high 70's and got my handicap to 9.5. So I think anyone who is starting out and taking the times to practice and hit the range and play a couple times a week should be somewhere in the low 100's and getting into the 90 sometimes. I think your on the write track.

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

I have been playing 8-9 months (started in april of this year) and once I realized I got bitten by the golf bug I set a goal to break a hundred before years end. The first time I broke a 100 was in September, I got a 97 but it was on a par 71. All my friends said congrats but we have to put an asterisk because it was a par 71. So for the past three months I have been playing only par 72's or better and recently scored another 97 last week at Olomana golf course amidst all the Obama fanfare. He was playing a few holes behind my group and with all the buzz in the air (not to mention the secret service agents) I was able to pull it off. So after 9 months of play, 97 is my magic number. The goal for 2009 is to stay in the 90's but at least taste the 80's!

Taylormade BSF 2.0 9.5° Driver

2011 Burner 3 Wood

2007 Burner TP 5 Wood
Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Irons
09 Spin Milled Vokeys- 46°, 52°, 58° Wedges CG-14 60° Wedge Odyssey Black Series i #1 Putter

Oh shit man that's crazy, that's something to tell your grandchilderen. Good stuff man.
Driver: 3dx driver 10.5*
Irons: 3dx hybrid irons 5-P
Iron: X-14 3 iron
Wood: MT 4wood 16.5*
Wedge: Lob 60*Putter: White Hot 2-ballBag: Xtreme Sport Stand Bag

Couple of things here;

One- have always used the baseball grip (ten finger grip) it seems to work for me.

Two - Shot 102 in my first round at the age of 14 and 92 in my second and never shot over 100 again.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

I think most people will tell you that golf is a hard game, but keep up the hard work and the results will come.

I started golf in very very late 2007 and living in Illinois that essentially means I started in 2008. Well the year is ending and I'm regularly shooting in the 90s with best score being a couple 93s.

The point isn't look what I can do because truth be told I have no athletic talent. But I took a bunch of lessons, worked hard, set goals, tracked my progress/strenghts/weakness and the rest is history.

Goal for next year is to dip my toe in the 80s a few times.
Inside the OGIO Exodus
Driver: Ping G10 10.5* w/ TFC129 Stiff 45"
Hybrid: Nike SQ Sumo2 #4 & Sumo #2 w/ DG S300
Irons: Callaway X-20 5-PW w/ DG S300 2* Up
Wedges: Nike SV Tour Black 52.10 - 56.10 - 60.6 w/ DG S400Putter: Tour Bettinardi 32.5" Loft 3* Lie 70*Ball: Precept U-Tri Tour / Bridgestone...

Swung my first club back in January at the beginning of this year. I now normally shoot mid and sometimes low 90s. Took me a long while to get going though.

In my bag:
Driver: G10 10.5 TFC 129 Shaft
3 wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: 585H 21 Degree
Irons 3-PW: 735.CMWedges: Vokey 52.08, 56.14Putter: White Hot XG #5

• 2 years later...

Been playing 8 months now. Shot under 100 about 4 months ago. Never shot over 100 again. Average low 90's. Lowest score to date is 88 and wasn't too happy with that! My goal is to shoot under 80 in my first year playing. Wish me luck everyone as i'm sure i'll need it!  I play twice a week (Sat and Sun) and practice 3 times a week.

20/07/2011 Update!!!! 83, 40, front 9. 43, back 9.......

• 1 year later...

I'm almost in the same boat as you. I'm 20 years old, was an All-State Basketball Player, and now that basketball is out of the picture I want to see how good I can get at golf. One of the positive things for me is that I really enjoy golf and I'm a natural athlete, so I hit the ball in the sweet spot alot. But I've only played golf maybe 2-3 times a year since I was like 14. So maybe, 15 rounds of golf in my life. I shoot around 95, maybe a little less. I hit far, but everything goes slightly right, which may have something to do with my arms coming before my hips. Apparently I have a 'good-looking' swing, but I'm going to focus on getting it perfect (From a Golf Pro) before I play too much golf. I think it's kind of like basketball, once I get the swing down, no matter how awkward it feels at the start, eventually it will feel natural and that's when I'll start to play alot.

P.S. - Birdied 3 holes today and shot a 96, but I would have shot 10 strokes less if I knew how to hit out of the sand...

• 1 year later...

Wow. Lot's of guys seem to have really come out of the gates pretty well.

For me, it took the entire first year to break 100. I actually did it nearly a year from the date of my first-ever round. I was on vacation in the OBX at the time and played at a place called Carolina Club. The turf was so forgiving there that I could fat it and still get a halfway decent result. Nevertheless, I was jacked after carding that 98.Now a little over two years in, I've managed high 80's on three occasions on some of the less difficult courses in my area. I definitely still shoot 100-plus on many rounds at the more difficult courses.

In my case, I've done it on a budget and without benefit of pro instruction. Maybe it would have been different if I had more money to throw at it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also did it without help of a pro, parents don't want to pay for that :( But if you search how to get a good swing, watch many videos how you have to do it you also learn it. It's more work for you but you don't have to pay 40 euros an hour for the pro.

My first "full" year was in summer after 7th grade. No one else in the family golfed. I was self-taught.

I played with a mixed bag of clubs from five to 30 years old. The putter was the head with 6" of stub of broken wooden shaft left in it; my dad fitted it with a length of  bamboo yard rake handle so I could use it.

I didn't break 100.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!