IGNORED

Best wedges

kd1
Note: This thread is 5595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got a gift card and money for Christmas and I want a new wedge, so what is the best one? Cleveland? Titleist?

Driver:TaylorMadeR7Draw
3-Wood:TaylorMadeR7Draw
3-Hybrid:TaylorMadeR7Draw
4-Hybrid:TaylorMadeR7Draw
Irons:5-pw Cobra SS-iWedges:Cobra 50deg./Cleveland CG14 56deg.Putter:Odyssey WhiteHot

titleist vokey spin milled all the way that or cg 14, 12

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

The "best" is relative, if it's possible got to a pro-shop/golf store and demo a bunch of them (if the golf store has used clubs especially they should let you hit them all you want). Don't limit yourself just to what you see others playing, try a bunch, Mizuno, Solus, ect. Even some like Scratch golf and Miura that aren't sold retail are great too.

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

I play Mizuno forged wedge and I am happy with them, what degree and bounce are you considering?

What irons are you playing?
What other wedges do you have and what distances do you hit them?
What distance gap to you have?
How much money do you want to spend?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I'm going tomorrow to look at some,the cleveland CG14 looks like it is easier to hit but I'll withhold judgement till I can hit it.

Irons:5-pw Cobra SS-iWedges:Cobra 50deg./Cleveland CG14 56deg.Putter:Odyssey WhiteHot

Personally I'm a huge fan of the Scratch Golf wedges (see sig). The 09 models are even better than the current JLM series too. The JLM is currently $199 but the new ones will only be $149. Rumor is that they will be offering an even cheaper alternative as well. Give Ari at Scratch a call...

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Personally I'm a huge fan of the

Err, can't edit the above post so I'll add to in a new one. The new Scratch wedges are the 1018 line. They were recently

featured in Golf World . These are hand made forged wedges for only $150, you simply can not go wrong. In discussions of the new 1018's and 8620's w/Ari (the owner of Scratch Golf) here are bits and pieces of what he had to say ->
The 1018 line is replacing our past JLM wedges. It is pretty much the same as our JLM line, made from the exact same raw forged 1018 carbon steel heads as our JLM line. We have changed the finish, stampings and grooves as well as gone to a much better more expensive KBS Tour shaft. We also have a new 8620 line coming that will be at a lower price point and offer all the same grinds and fitting as our 1018 line. We believe that everyone should be properly fit for a wedge regardless if they are looking for the ultimate hand ground custom wedge or a $100 retail wedge. Everyone will benefit from playing the correct grind for their swing and we are trying very hard to make that accessible to everyone. The 8620 line will be cast from 8620 steel which is the same material and process used in Vokey and Cleveland wedges. 8620 is not a metal that works for a real forged golf club. If you see a wedge that is 8620 and the maker claims its forged it is more than likely some kind of form forged process where the first step is casting the raw head not a true forged from a billet process.

In case you might be wondering, I'm not affiliated w/Scratch in any way. I'm just a very happy customer. I have 3 of their awesome Tour Department wedges.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Big fan of Eidolon wedges. Please let us know what you end up with!
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 10*
Fairway Woods: Callaway X-Hot 15*, Callaway X 2008 18*
Hybrids: Callaway X-Hybrid 21*
Irons: Mizuno MP-57 5-PW (27*, 31*, 35*, 39*, 43*, 47*)
Wedges: Eidolon V-Sole GW (52*), SW (56*), LW (60*)Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball White Steel BladeBall: Bridgestone e6 BallStand Bag: Ogio...

I play Mizuno forged wedge and I am happy with them, what degree and bounce are you considering?

I play Cobra SS-i irons 3-pw,also a Cobra 50 deg and a 60deg Intrigue sw.I hit the 50deg 100 yds,don't really use the 60deg much.I'm thinking that I need a 56deg.

Used Cleveland 60° for a while, but never got the feel of it. Switched to Titleist Vokey 60-08 wedge, and could not be happier, those wedges are just sweet!.

In My Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 9.5º Regular
Irons: 4-SW Taylor Made Burner, Regular Graphite
Wedges: 60°-08 Titleist Vokey

Fairway Wood: 16º 3W Taylor Made R9 Stiff

Hybrid: Adams A4OS 19° Regular

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 2

The most respected wedge ever I think is the Cleveland 588.It came out about 12 years ago and is still being sold in different models.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I personally carry a CG14 (which I haven't hit on course yet since I just bought it) and a Vokey. I'm a longtime Cleveland wedge fan, having played 588's for several years before buying CG11 wedges a few years back. I bought the Vokey (it was a new wedge in 'used' bin for only $39 at Golf Galaxy) when I lost my CG11 58* and while it's a good wedge, I honestly do not like it as well as the Cleveland wedges - it just has a little different feel. Wedges are like everything else in golf, though - you have to find what you like the feel and look of for yourself. One plus for CG14 is that they are going to be a little more forgiving than Vokey wedges. I also like the Mizuno wedges, but to me they always seem a little heavy. I've never played the vast majority of other wedges, so I can't really comment on them.

BTW: You might be able to get 2 CG10 or CG11 wedges for the cost of the CG14 (or at least close to it). Both are also good wedges, with the CG10 being even more forgiving than the CG14. Biggest difference with the CG10/CG11 is that they do not have 'Zip Grooves' as the CG12 and CG14 do. For most higher handicappers this is not going to matter much anyway.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Thanks I'll look at the CG10 & CG11.I have a 50deg. & 60deg. wedge,I'm thinking I need a 56deg. Any opinion on that?

Thanks I'll look at the CG10 & CG11.I have a 50deg. & 60deg. wedge,I'm thinking I need a 56deg. Any opinion on that?

Sorry. I was backwards on the Cleveland wedges. The CG11 is the more forgiving. The CG10 is a more traditional forged blade. Of course you would have figured that out for yourself once you saw them, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't passing along bad info. I constantly get those 2 wedges mixed up.

Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Im a huge fan of the vokeys so i would go woth them. Their 09 lineup looks sweet. good luck

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

• Administrator
Yet another question that deserves only ONE answer:

Go hit a bunch and choose the ones you like best. What's best for someone else is very likely not to be what works best for you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!