IGNORED

metal spike golf shoe

Note: This thread is 3160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are you trying to tell me I should be afraid that someone is going to try to "kick my ass" on the course if I'm wearing metal?
Driver 983k 9.5°
3 Wood 906f2 15°
5 wood 906f2 18°
Irons 735 3-pw S300, Golf Pride Tour Velvet cord
Wedges Spin Milled 53°, Spin Milled 59°Putter Studio Select Newport 2Goals for '10:1. Get down to scratch or better

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you trying to tell me I should be afraid that someone is going to try to "kick my ass" on the course if I'm wearing metal?

You're killing me; no, I guess I'm saying if you're not respectful don't be surprised if someone DOES kick your ass period. I'm not telling you to do anything... Seriously don't expect any more replies here, this is stupid.
In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

No one is going to kick somebody's ass for wearing metal spikes guys...lets be realistic. This is GOLF, when is the last time you saw a fight on the course? lol. Plus Lefty22 all the tour pros wear metal, and they arn't complaning about the condition of the greens. If one guy chooses to, i doubt the courses greens will start to suck.

No one is going to kick somebody's ass for wearing metal spikes guys...lets be realistic. This is GOLF, when is the last time you saw a fight on the course? lol. Plus Lefty22 all the tour pros wear metal, and they arn't complaning about the condition of the greens. If one guy chooses to, i doubt the courses greens will start to suck.

First of all... Don't worry about getting your ass kicked. Worry about getting thrown off the course. And yes, I have seen fights on course and in the parking lot. So? Just proves that people are as immature on the course as they are anywhere else.

Second... http://www.usga.org/turf/green_secti.../pga-pros.html
the majority of PGA Tour pros freely choose to use alternative spikes. It would surprise most golfers to learn that the majority of professional golfers wear the Black Widow and fewer than 25 percent of the pros were wearing metal spikes at the conclusion of the 2002 season.

Somehow I doubt that this has changed back in favor of metal spikes in the last six, going on seven seasons. Stop making shit up.

• 6 years later...

I'm thinking about getting some metal spikes. I think PIN makes metal spikes although they look like plastic. I'm lucky enough to own more than a couple of pairs of golf shoes so maybe I'll set up a pair with metal.  They are always nice when standing on hardpan or softpan.  I slipped a little yesterday standing on a bare spot that was a little soft.

I'm thinking about getting some metal spikes. I think PIN makes metal spikes although they look like plastic. I'm lucky enough to own more than a couple of pairs of golf shoes so maybe I'll set up a pair with metal.  They are always nice when standing on hardpan or softpan.  I slipped a little yesterday standing on a bare spot that was a little soft.

Good luck with that. Other than tour stops I doubt you can find a course that allows metal spikes. And If I was playing behind you and saw the torn up greens you left behind I'd sure mention it to the pro shop. Metal spike use is pretty obvious.

The point of soft spikes was to leave the greens in good condition for all golfers, not just you. C'mon dude!

Yes that sound brings back fond memories of my youth

Haha yeah and the feeling of slippy sliding down an inclined concrete path comes to mind too :-)

Steve

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I recently played a course that allowed metal. I've been looking for some metal spikes with no luck. I'd like to have them for the rare occasion they're allowed.

If you only got to use them on rare occasions I doubt there would even be any benefit because you would never get used to using them. Also, what was the name of the course that allows metal?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I suppose that's true. I still have a pair of shoes that had metal spikes when I bought them. I'd gladly spend $10-$20 to replace my long since gone spikes, just to hear that sound again. Can't remember the name of the course off hand. Just some little public track upstate.

Metal spikes would not be a big deal if the general public had the common sense to tamp down their spike marks around the cup before they leave the green but I guess raking bunkers and replacing divots and fixing pitch marks are still too much to ask so I would not expect metal spikes to make a return any time soon.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I recently played a course that allowed metal. I've been looking for some metal spikes with no luck. I'd like to have them for the rare occasion they're allowed.

I suppose that's true. I still have a pair of shoes that had metal spikes when I bought them. I'd gladly spend $10-$20 to replace my long since gone spikes, just to hear that sound again. Can't remember the name of the course off hand. Just some little public track upstate.

So you can't remember the name of a course you recently played? Does this place actually exist or what?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I played a course that still allowed metal spikes about 7 years after most courses banned them. The greens were terrible from all the marks. I've played golf well before the metal spike ban and since the ban the greens have greatly improved. I don't see how people can say the soft spikes cause increased damage. I'm in the mid-Atlantic area and play mostly in bent grass greens so maybe other areas are more affected.

Note: This thread is 3160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!