IGNORED

Question about my driver

Note: This thread is 5558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I started golf about 2 years ago but i only get to play about 2-3 times a month. When i first started my dad gave me his driver. I know now in retrospect it was a bad thing to start off with. But its a original Nike SUMO 2 (460 or w/e its called) Stiff shaft with a 9* loft angle. I would say about 75% of the time i slice the ball about 30-40 yards either in the rough or way off the fairway. About 5-6 holes in a 18 round ill hit it dead straight about 215 yards or so. I shot a 93 this weekend on a par 72 with only a few fairway drives. Ive gone to the range and practiced many times but still the same outcome when i play. I can hit my 3 hybrid (20* regular shaft) about 190 yards perfectly straight about 90-95% of the time. I hit everything in my bag irons, hybrids etc. deadly straight with no slice. I was talking with a friend and he said i should get the new nike 5900 SUMO 2 with a regular shaft and either a 10.5* loft or a 12*. He said he thinks my swing is great but that my shaft is to stiff for me and my loft angle is too low. He is a golf instructor at a course and has about a 5 handicap so i think he is a pretty reputable source. What do you guys think? My swing speed is always around 90-100.

I agree that the loft is probably too low. A regular flex shaft would be O.K., but the stiff shouldn't throw you for any loops, as the stiffer the shaft, the straighter the ball will go... you'll just lose about 5-10 yards. I'm sure your hybrids/irons go straight, but the driver is another beast. Check out the TaylorMade burners or the Nike's. You can find them for a pretty good price nowadays. Good luck!

In the Bag (right now)...

Cleveland Tour Issue 310UL* - Miyazaki Kusala Blue 83X

Taylormade R9 TP Tour Issue 13* - Diamana Blue 63X

Taylormade TP Hybrid 17* - Matrix Altus 80X

Taylormade TP Hybrid 19* - Matrix Altus 80X

Nike Forged Blades - 4-W - ProjectX 6.5

Nike VR Black V-Rev 52*, 58*

Scotty Cameron California Hollywood

Taylormade Penta TP3 ball

90-100 should be able to handle an OEM stiff shaft. Something doesn't add up though. You can hit a 3 hybrid 190 yards but when you hit your driver straight it only goes 215? A 95 mph swing should net you a 250+ yard drive.

SLDR 430 TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR Mini Driver TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR 4h Matrix Black Tie 95s
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50, 54, 58

Ping Anser IWI

Thank you i appreciate the advice. Im sure there is something wrong in my driver swing that is causing my slice but it just boggles me how i can hit all my other clubs perfect lol. I guess ill look around before i do a shaft change.

90-100 should be able to handle an OEM stiff shaft. Something doesn't add up though. You can hit a 3 hybrid 190 yards but when you hit your driver straight it only goes 215? A 95 mph swing should net you a 250+ yard drive.

Well it varies..... Usually between 215-260 but mostly in the 230 range... I know that is what bothers me is something is not right in my drive. Probly my swing lol.

the nike 5900 wouldnt be a bad choice, But i would suggest the older nike square driver since you said you only play 2-3 times a week and it will also cost a lot less. A 10.5 with stiff flex seems to be the right combo for you

the nike 5900 wouldnt be a bad choice, But i would suggest the older nike square driver since you said you only play 2-3 times a week and it will also cost a lot less. A 10.5 with stiff flex seems to be the right combo for you

Why would a 5900 be a bad choice? The square head or because its a newer driver?

Im thinking either 10.5 or 11.5 for sure because i know the 9* loft angle is not right. But i still dont know to get reg or stiff flex

He might not be hitting the ball on the sweet spot all the time.

Try a burner of some sort. They are made shut for people just like you who slice. Good luck

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

I don't know that another degree or two of loft will get rid of your slice, but from everything I've read (both here and elsewhere) a 10.5* or 11* is probably a better fit for most amateurs. Which would probably include me, but I love my 9* driver and have never been a slicer. I'm not a monster driver by any means -- my average drive is probably only 230 (and my best rare drives 270) -- but I really like the low boring trajectory I get with the 9* driver. I play with guys who hit high booming shots that hang a lot longer than mine and go a little farther, but I prefer to hit windcheaters most of the time. You should be hitting it a little farther at that swing speed, unless you are smacking banana balls constantly -- that will take some distance off for sure.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

I couldn't find anything about how it works but I have hurd that not only does shaft stiffness play something but something about how the tip is set up. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it?

Bag: Ogio
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 gold stiff
3W: Pro Select 15*
Irons: Pro Select 3-PW
Wedge:Adams Tom Watson set GW, SW, LWPutter: Cleveland VP 1balls: E6+ or Srixonshoes: Adidas powerband"Stop looking at my ears and play!"Home course. Antler Creek; tees; Black 77.5/150, Gold...

Note: This thread is 5558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!