IGNORED

What is your #1 golf tip for golf improvement

Rounders
Note: This thread is 3922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lighten up. That was only semi-serious. But don't tell me that you are going to get all excited about a tip from a 36 handicapper? Or even from an 11 like me? I might just be lying.

hey man, what works for a 36 can work for a 6. handicap shouldn't be a factor in this.

I wouldn't say there is a #1 tip for golf improvement. Really, it's all about how long you have been playing (I'm assuming you are rather new to the game). Furthermore, everyone is different and requires different tips. For instance, if you are very athletic and hitting the ball a mile is no problem for you, I would suggest practicing consistent ball striking. I don't think form is as important as ball striking, nor do I think you shouldn't swing hard. The adage "don't swing hard" is boloney. You can swing as hard as you want, as long as you hit the ball square and stay on balance. Tempo is VERY important in this game. You should find your rhythm early and often, and this will make you a good ball striker. My key is a slow takeaway in my backswing. If I bring it back slowly, I'm smooth the whole way through. I swing 115 mph but I have a smooth tempo. Flexibility is key in hitting the ball far, but length is not as important as chipping/putting and consistency. Get your short game down, build from the small swing to the big swing, and enjoy the best game on the planet. You'll get hooked and end up spending tens of thousands... but what the hell -- you will not regret a minute of your time spent or your money blown. Cheers.

focus on what you're doing, not how you're doing.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I have 10 #1s

1) practice from the hole back to lower your score
2) practice chipping and your full swing will get better
3) practice chipping with a 3 iron and once you figure out how to hit it solid each time with the proper take away, this will help improve your full swing
4) shorten your backswing and hit solid contact and make more birdies
5) keep your left arm straight
6) Put with the reverse grip or left hand low
7) keep your putter low to the ground on your backswing and you will make more short putts
8) work on your distance control with your putter
9) Don't be afraid of blades, they are easier to hit then you think and will improve your game
10) play with golfers that are better than you are and you will see your score drop

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

What is your #1 golf tip you give out to friends (anyone really) to help them improve their game?

Practice, practice, practice: 1. Work on rhythm 2. 60% of your practice time on the short game For every hour on the golf course, practice an equal amount. Practice every day, even if it means simply swinging a golf club or weighted golf club in the backyard, working on rhythm.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

To me, it's simple: whatever area you are practicing on, practice the right things the right way. Take your time, don't rush, work on rhythm.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hit the shot you know you can hit, not the one you think you ought to be able to hit.

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

My #1 tip is...Hold the club in your fingers, not in your hands and palms.

The grip should be the starting point for all golfers and most amateurs do it wrong at least to some degree. There is only one way correct way to grip the club, in the fingers like you stated, with the pressure being applied by the last 3 fingers of the left hand and the middle two of the right (for righties). This is the only proper way to do it. When you hear people talk about variations to the grip (interlocking, overlapping or baseball)they are only referring to where right pinkie finger resides.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

You're all wrong.

I couldn't agree more.

I'll add this "Get properly fit for equipment". I just wish players would check their ego when buying equipment and accept they they need a regular or senior flex instead of stiff or a super game inprovement iron instead of a players blade. Not to mention players that refuse to accept a 2 iron will usually perform better for most 36 handicappers than 2 iron. "It's the indian not the arrow", but why mess with the arrow when you get get a gun which is easier and more accurate in most hands?
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Practice.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

What is your #1 golf tip you give out to friends (anyone really) to help them improve their game?

Don't take tips from other hackers. Especially anonymous internet hackers!

Physical: Left hip starts the down swing
Mental: Don't say "don't." Focus on what your shot calls for, not on what to avoid.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

2 tips tie for #1 with me.

Advice as given to me personally from a local PGA player, when I started 5 years ago:

"Lessons first, from a PGA Certified Teaching Professional, then get professionally fitted for your clubs from a reputable company/individual, preferably one recommended by the Pro you take lessons from. The money you spend up front will pay off huge dividends over the life of your golfing game. The two most important things to have is the knowledge of how to execute the shots, and the equipment that is tailor made for you that make those shots possible." Brian Bateman, PGA Tour player.

The biggest improvement I realized in my game was when I got fitted for my clubs and started playing with them. Before, I was hitting off-the-rack irons(standard loft/lie), and could develop no consistency. After being fitted, and ordering my clubs, the difference was amazing. Considering my correct iron setup is 3* upright, it's no wonder I could never get consistent results with a standard set of clubs, I was fighting my own natural swing.

IMO, These are the 2 steps that anyone looking to improve their game should implement.
  • Upvote 1
Next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election- George Carlin

In the Hoofer bag:
10.5* Redline RPM G5 16* G5 19* G5 22* MX 200, 4-6, MP-52 7-W Vokey 50*, Vokey SM 54*, 58* G5i flatstick IGNITE ball

Sounds like something Harvey Pennick would say.

Really? Somehow I've yet to have read his Little Red Book. And I have three copies of it...

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 3922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!