IGNORED

What is your #1 golf tip for golf improvement

Rounders
Note: This thread is 3922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Accelerate through the ball. Far too many beginner/poor golfers take full backswings on every shot and then are hesitant to hit the ball too hard. It's all about controlling your backswing length and accelerating from there.

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

• 4 years later...

"Go see your PGA professional"

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't putt from the rough

Taylormade 425 R7 Driver- Tour stiff Cobra AMP 3 wood- Stiff Titleist 704 CB irons 2-PW Cleveland 588 wedges- 56 and 60 Ping Pick Em Up- belly putter Taylormade Penta 5 balls

Start your backswing by turning your shoulders

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

Originally Posted by Rounders

What is your #1 golf tip you give out to friends (anyone really) to help them improve their game?

examples: "keep your head down", "don't swing so hard" etc.

Keep your head down and all that kind of stuff is nonsense BS.....

To get better.....ya just need to play A LOT of golf!!!  There is no simple fix.........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

if you're a mid-handicapper or higher, trade your 60* wedge in for a chipper!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

if you're a mid-handicapper or higher, trade your 60* wedge in for a chipper!

I've made that suggestion before (I don't really favor a chipper either, but dump the 60° wedge and learn to play the chip and roll), and it doesn't usually sit well with most players.  I guess it's too old school.

I had a good short game, but then I thought like many that the LW was a required skill if I wanted to call my self a player.   I tried for years to get comfortable with a 60°, then a 58°.   My short game got steadily worse, my handicap rose from a lifetime low of 9.6 to nearly 16.  I finally ended the experiment, settled on 56° as my highest wedge, went back to what I came up with and my short game came back to me.  My handicap dropped back down to 11, even though I was in my 60's and loss of distance was making the long game harder.  I personally will never put another LW in my bag again.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclip View Post
None

Agreed, I was playing with clubs that were standard length and 1-2* flat for many years; last year I was properly fitted to +1" and 2-up. Had my irons and wedges adjusted to that and dropped over 6 points in my handicap index in 5 months. Now I just have to get better at putting and chipping and driving (sigh).

I agree with the fitting benefit.

I went into Edwin Watts here just to get my MP-59s I purchased off of Ebay checked for authenticity and lie/loft angles and they confirmed they were real as well as standard lie, loft. Then they had me swing them with impact tape, finding me hitting them towards the toe of the club. Then they checked my measurements and found I should be at +1/2" and slightly upright. Instead of dropping another $300 on reshafting/regripping them, I chose option #2 of getting them bent a little more upright. They went with 2° on the 4-7 and 3° on the 8-PW. After doing that, the impact tape showed me hitting everything right in the center of the face. What a difference.

My biggest tip (and it's relevant to your post given your statement about chipping) is to pick a spot you want to land your ball when chipping/short pitches. Be exact when picking it then focus on hitting that spot when you're making your shot. Nine times out of ten, by focusing on that spot instead of mechanics, you'll make better contact and your chipping results will be much better.

You'd be surprised how often you come close to hitting that spot too.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I've made that suggestion before (I don't really favor a chipper either, but dump the 60° wedge and learn to play the chip and roll), and it doesn't usually sit well with most players.  I guess it's too old school.

I had a good short game, but then I thought like many that the LW was a required skill if I wanted to call my self a player.   I tried for years to get comfortable with a 60°, then a 58°.   My short game got steadily worse, my handicap rose from a lifetime low of 9.6 to nearly 16.  I finally ended the experiment, settled on 56° as my highest wedge, went back to what I came up with and my short game came back to me.  My handicap dropped back down to 11, even though I was in my 60's and loss of distance was making the long game harder.  I personally will never put another LW in my bag again.

I wouldn't dump my 60° LW for anything. As with all your clubs, it's knowing when to use it and when not to use it.

If you have little green to work with use the LW.

If you have plenty of green to work with, use another club to get the ball on the putting surface and get it rolling. Using the same chipping stroke and just change the club. I've chipped with every iron in my bag.

Learn how to find an effective/get results instructor.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by WWBDD

Don't marry.

Originally Posted by Pablo68

Better yet; keep putting your club in the same bag.

hahahaha!!!!!

but seriously, heres mine - hit the ball hard.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

hahahaha!!!!!

but seriously, heres mine - hit the ball hard...

...while maintaining your balance.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

...while maintaining your balance.

true.  i see too many people not taking an aggressive swing and they hit the ball with such glancing blows.  i swing as hard as i can while staying in balance.

Colin P.

true.  i see too many people not taking an aggressive swing and they hit the ball with such glancing blows.  i swing as hard as i can while staying in balance.

I agree...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Sound advice.

Arnold Palmer...........learn to hit it hard first then work on accuracy.

Note: This thread is 3922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!