IGNORED

Tennis elbow-anyone get it from golf? What to do?

rstyle
Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I developed "tennis elbow" in my right elbow (right hand player). I do not play tennis.
I don't think it was from playing golf and was by bad ergonomics working on a computer all day holding a microphone, but it gets worse playing golf.

Tried one of those braces you put in the upper forearm with minimal relief. Just ordered one of those braces that will put heat or cold over the outer elbow. Someone suggested an injection of steroids but I think that would mask the problem.

I am doing some forearm exercises, not playing as much and changed the way I do some things at work but not much improvement after 2 weeks.

Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?
Thanks

Back in the 90's I switched from graphite shafts on my irons to steel. Since then, I can always tell how well I hit the ball now from my elbow. If I hit it pure, fine. If I mishit the ball my elbow hurts that night. The docs will tell you rest is the best fix for tendonitis, but then you miss golf. Try Naproxian. I now have some tendonitis in my left knee (Right handed = left knee/right elbow) so I take a couple before I play and a couple after. It helps.

I've found the best thing for me is stretching, massage, proper hydration, and graphite shafts.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

I agree stretching the arm and shoulder area and rest are the best things u can do. I hurt my left elbow, (lefty) last year and those 2 things are the best you can do IMO. It takes a while to heal depending on how bad it is. It could take several months. I think changing your lifestyle which created the problem is the biggest key though in addition to the stretching and rest. Good luck.

In my SX76 StaDry
Woods: G15 9.0° BB Stiff, G10 14°
Hybrids: i15 20°, Rapture 24°
Irons: AP2 5-PW
Wedges: SM Vokey 51°, 56°, 60° Putter: Circa '62 No. 2 (Gun Metal Blue) Ball: ProV1

I played 4 years of college baseball, and I think this was the single most common injury I seen. I had it bad for a 3 year stretch.

The treatment advice we were given :

Reduce the inflammation with an ice pack holding on the area for 30 minutes 2 to 3 times a day.
Next is stretching exercises; these are 3 good ones:

Hold your arm straight out in front of you and lock the elbow:

1. Palm face down, slowly stretch the hand up until the fingers are at right angles to the forearm. Hold for 1 minute.

2. With the palm face down slowly stretch the hand down until the fingers are at right angles to the forearm. Hold for 1 minute.

3. With the palm face up slowly stretch the hand down until the fingers are at right angles to the forearm (or as close as you can go). Hold for 1 minute.
These exercises will lengthen the forearm muscle fibres and reduce the tension on the tendon thereby allowing the injured area to heal. It is not uncommon the healing process to take 3 months, so follow the exercise regime regularly.
Next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election- George Carlin

In the Hoofer bag:
10.5* Redline RPM G5 16* G5 19* G5 22* MX 200, 4-6, MP-52 7-W Vokey 50*, Vokey SM 54*, 58* G5i flatstick IGNITE ball

I get tendonitis in my forearms and elbows from wakeboarding and working out. That pain seems to come out when I'm at the range hitting balls.

The only thing that works for me is rest and ice. I play much less in the winter so that allows my arm to heal. I see that you are from Florida though so winter doesn't slow you down I'm guessing.

My Bag:
Driver: R11

Irons: Titliest MB

Wedge: vokey
Putter: rosa

Balls: whatever I can find

I get tendonitis in my forearms and elbows from wakeboarding and working out. That pain seems to come out when I'm at the range hitting balls.

Absolutely. Initially rest, ice, wrap or brace. Rest means rest. If it hurts don't do it. If you absolutely have to practice, practice putting (probably not doing this enough anyway). If practicing putting hurts, don't do it. If you don't have any contraindications to taking antiinflammatories, look into those (they aren't without risk--so read the package insert). Try topicals, sports creams and heat wraps (thermacare), but I would use Ice massage for the first 4 weeks. Take a styrofoam cup, fill it with water, put in the freezer. Once the ice freezes solid, tear off the top half inch of styrofoam. Hold the styrofoam cup in your hand and massage the painful area with the ice for 20min Q 2-3H as needed.

Switching to graphite is a good idea. There may be something in your swing or ball/ground contact that is contributing to your symptoms. When you are pain free start practicing again. Start slow and go slow. See a physician. Sounds like you have tendinitis, but there are a few things that present like tendonitis, but may be something else or tendonitis + other. The best specialty to see for this is PM+R (physical medicine and rehab) also known as physiatry. You could also see an ortho, but your wait time to see him or her would be longer. If it is tendinitis, you will likey be referred to PT or OT for stretching. exercises, and possibly ultrasound.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Better living through chemistry.....

I eat Alleve like peanuts!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...

Originally Posted by jonanthans

I played 4 years of college baseball, and I think this was the single most common injury I seen. I had it bad for a 3 year stretch.

The treatment advice we were given :

Reduce the inflammation with an ice pack holding on the area for 30 minutes 2 to 3 times a day.

Next is stretching exercises; these are 3 good ones:

Hold your arm straight out in front of you and lock the elbow:

1. Palm face down, slowly stretch the hand up until the fingers are at right angles to the forearm. Hold for 1 minute.

2. With the palm face down slowly stretch the hand down until the fingers are at right angles to the forearm. Hold for 1 minute.

3. With the palm face up slowly stretch the hand down until the fingers are at right angles to the forearm (or as close as you can go). Hold for 1 minute.

These exercises will lengthen the forearm muscle fibres and reduce the tension on the tendon thereby allowing the injured area to heal. It is not uncommon the healing process to take 3 months, so follow the exercise regime regularly.

I'm a General Contractor and I got tendonitis years ago from swinging a hammer and what jonanthans posted above is what the Dr recommended to me also since I refused to get a shot.  As mentioned above, I believe the shot would just numb/mask the problem where I'd rather be able to feel when the pain started so I could stop what I was doing.  In any case, I've pretty much been doing those exercises for about 22 years and they really help out.  I'm not saying the pain is non existent 100% of the time but when it pops up, it's no where near as painful as it was.

BTW, I do take a couple of Advil before I hit the range or go out to play.

Steve

• 4 years later...

About 8 weeks ago I developed a bad case of elbow tendonitis. After reading about the effectiveness of Cissus extract for its healing properties, I bought a supplement called Elbow Revive , which has cissus in it.  I've made incredible improvements with just taking the supplement and resting, but would like to throw in some exercises or stretches to prevent it from returning.  Any suggestions?

Check out he "Fitness and Exercise" forum and the "Update on my golfers elbow" thread. I posted a cure for Golfers and Tennis elbow there. CTCream. Works like a charm. I've used it for years.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Let me ask you a question.  You said you tried one of those braces and it did not do you any good.  Did you wear it only when playing golf?

I suffered for quite a while with tendonitis and got the air cast brace...the deal you wrap around your forearm.  Mine had this little air pillow that fit inside it.  I wore it every day...not just when playing golf.  Wearing it every day for a couple of months along with taking ibuprofen did the trick for me.  I started out just wearing it when I played golf and it did not help.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!