IGNORED

Whats your favorite putting tip?

Note: This thread is 5571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok. I'll start off.

I like to place 2 tees in between the putterhead and try to make my putting stroke without hitting the tees. If I hit the tees, it tells me if I have stroke it poorly. Eventually this drill will create more and more consistency in your putting stroke and hitting your putts pure

Whats your favorite putting drill or tip?

In my Bag-

Driver: 909 d3 Matrix Ozik XCON 6 stiff
3 wood: 906 f4 Graphite Design YS-6+
Irons: r7 tp Dynamic Gold S300Wedges: vokey spin milled Putter: tei3 newport 2

This is the part of my game that I've been working on lately....putting. These are the things that I'm doing now and getting results from.....pick any one and have at it:

1) Grip the putter in your palms with the pads of your fingers touching the grip on the opposing side.

2) Grip the putter soley in your right hand (palm) as you step up to the ball...address with the right hand as the club is grounded.

3) Let your left arm hang down straight and naturally contact the putter grip...arm almost extend.

4) Very little grip pressure throughout the stroke....feel the contact in the pads of your fingers which are on the sides of the grip.

5) Keep head steady.....let eyes follow the ball.

6) Get ready to pump your fist....Tiger style.
  • Upvote 1
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Ok. I'll start off.

Use one of our photo ball markers for good luck. I have not heard of a user missing a putt since they started using their photo ball markers. Of course, I haven't asked any of them if they have missed a putt.

Here is a serious one, my son Kelly showed me this and it works great. On short putts, look at the back of the hole, as deep as you can into the cup. Focus on hitting that spot with the ball. You will find it is much easier to stroke the putt if you laim at the back and down at the hole. Not the front of the hole. Try it, you will like the result.

Excellent article in Golf Digest, Oct 2005 issue on putting.

grip it in your palm
Don't grip the putter in your fingers as you do in the full swing. This type of grip pormotes wrist hinge, which you don't want when you putt. Set the grip through the palm of your left hand or at the crease, with the butt end at the inside of your wrist.

Set up , tilt forward from your hips and let your arms hand, so they can swing freely. For most golfers, ball position shoudl be slightly ahead of center. The shaft should be perpendicular to the ground, with the grip pointing just forward of your sternum. Stand so you feel stacked, your hips over your heels and your weight on the middle of each foot.

Swing longer,not faster
The length of your stroke should change based on the distance to the hole, but your tempo should stay the same. Strive for smooth acceleration through impact. To hit putts of different lengths, many golfers alter their tempo instead of the length of the storke. Focus on swinging back and through the same amount, lengthening your stroke as the putts get longer.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Listen, think of it this way. Get over a straight 6' putt and think about it. Is there really anything physically limiting you from making that putt? All you're doing is touching the putterhead to the ball, pushing it on a line to go in the hole. No slicing, hooking, chunking, blading, clubhead speed, etc... There's actually quite a margin of error on line (the hole is what, about three balls wide?), and it can sneak over the front edge or nail the back of the cup. So why do (most of) us amateurs routinely miss these?

It's in your head! Be honest, I admit it, too. We start the putter back, then suddenly wonder if we're aligned properly, or if we've read it properly, or that maybe we'll hit it too hard or soft. So, as we come through, we close or open the face, we de- or overaccelerate. Putting is, physically, THE SIMPLEST action you'll perform on a golf course. So many putting tips that talk about the grip, the stance, the shoulders, blah, blah, make me nervous. You just need to address the ball, hold the club and make a stroke such that the putter blade returns to impact square. Simple as that.

All the rest comes down, 100%, to just believing your read and your speed. It's not complex, it's simple, but it's damn hard, and worth spending much more of your practice time on than too many physical details.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

ehh i dont know too much about putting tips... But i know for me i have a habit of hinging my wrists with the putter like im taking a full swing..I try to keep my wrists set, palms facing one an other so i dont rotate my forearms, and swing from my shoulders. The weight of the putter will do the rest. If i do all of that so that im just concentrating on speed im usually ok.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

One little thing I do when I putt is extend my right index finger down the shaft of the putter. This is a David Ledbetter tip that is supposed to help prevent breaking your wrists.
If I'm on the practice green working on my reads and distances, I will take two pencils, tie a string to each one, and putt with a ball directly under the string. This will help determine if you are taking the putter straight back and straight through. On a flat green, your ball should hit the pencil at the other end. You can also putt towards a cup but extending your line past the hole, and adjusting your line for the break.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

The key is correct distance (speed). Putting is 95% mental/5% technique.

Our minds and eyes are really good at mental triangulation. After reading the putt from the lowest point around the hole and from behind the ball, mentally picture the line. Line up your putt and trust this line. Be positive. Mentally picture the ball rolling into the middle of the cup several times. Stroke the putt. Look up when you hear the ball fall in the cup (OK, that is ridiculous on putts >20 feet or so)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Listen for the ball to go in the hole instead of looking

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Ok. I'll start off.

Your drill is a good one. Here is what I do: 1. Never ground the putter, just like you should not ground any club, including the driver (per the advice of one Jack Nicklaus---and he is right). 2. Concentrate on swinging the putter head back straight and low, and rolling the ball so that the name rolls without a wobble. 3. After developing a smooth stroke, focus on distance. You will almost never 3 putt because you will become a "die putter" like Ben Crenshaw. 3 putting is a mortal sin, and any time I do that, I get furious with myself.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I turn my arms, wrists, hands, into a stone (so it works in one piece) and use my shoulder only.

My putting drill start from straight 3' putt (10 in a roll) --> straight 6' putt ( 5 in a roll ) ---> straight 10' putt (2 in a roll). If I miss one I start over. For exmaple, if I made 6' putt 4 in a roll, and miss the fifth one, I would start 6' putt again.

Then I'll start to find some breaks.

Sometimes I learn the line from just hitting the ball and watch it goes. Didn't aim at anything, just hit it and look at the ball breaks.

Putting is a combination of hitting the ball straight, and read the break right. (off course, also with the right speed)

Driver TP Burner 8.5* Stiff
3 Wood SQ 15* stiff
5 Wood SQ 19* stiff
Irons MP 67 (3-PW) stiff
Wedge 52* and 56* stiffPutter Mtisushiba Ball

Another good putting drill. place two rubber bands on the face of the putter approximately one inch apart bordering the sweet spot. Practice putting as you normally do. Can even practice with the tee drill as described above.

If you don't hit the sweet spot, you will know. The ball will hit one of the rubber bands resulting in a very poor putt.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Another drill. Popularized by that Mickelson commercial. Place twenty balls 3ft all the wasy around a hole (flat areas) Make all the putts. then place all the balls 5ft away (all flat putts). Try making all the putts (you probably won't). Keep practicing.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

One last tip--spend 60% of your practice time on the short game, including putting, chipping, sand blasts, and pitching. Those are the shots that you score with. "Up and in" are the best words to hear in golf.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

On 3-4 foot putts look at the hole, not the ball. Works a charm for me. I used to pull my short putts about 50% of the time, and now rarely miss one under 5 feet.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

"Don't look for the ball to fall, listen for it. Then you know that your head stayed down"

Bag: Ogio
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 gold stiff
3W: Pro Select 15*
Irons: Pro Select 3-PW
Wedge:Adams Tom Watson set GW, SW, LWPutter: Cleveland VP 1balls: E6+ or Srixonshoes: Adidas powerband"Stop looking at my ears and play!"Home course. Antler Creek; tees; Black 77.5/150, Gold...

What works for me the best is to just stay on practice green for about 3 hours and pay attention to what works and what is causing problems.... eliminate the problems and stick with what works for you and polish it everytime you go to hit balls
Driver Tit 907D2 9.5 aldila spec grid 67s
HybidTit 585H 19* s flex
IronsTit 775cb 3-pw
WedgesTit vokey 52* 56* 60*
Putter Rife Barbados 35" winn mid pistol gripGolfballBridgestone B330-s/taylormade tp black/titleist prov1x

Note: This thread is 5571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!