IGNORED

Why is golf appealing to YOU?

denver_nuggs_15
Note: This thread is 5574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For me, I think it is really cool that I can hit a shot that a pro can. You can hole out from 150 yards just like Tiger. In baseball, you can't hit a 98 mph fastball; in tennis, you can't return a 140 mph serve; in basketball, you can't post up D12. Golf, though, you can hit any shot a pro can.

Also, I like how you can always improve. There's not a day that I get done playing when I can honsestly say, "I didn't leave a single shot out there." There's always room for improvement.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

While I agree with what you say is appealing, for me it's none of that. Don't get me wrong, I love watching professional golf, but personally the appeal of the game has very little to do with pros.

I love the game. I love the challenge. Every shot is different. If I shoot an 80, then I hit 80 different shots - some similar to each other, but not the same. I love that every shot requires at least some sort of thought. I love that almost every shot gives you multiple options - high, low, draw, fade, bump and run, etc. I love that no two courses are alike. I love that somedays something works and the next it doesn't. I love being outside, enjoying just 'being' there. I love playing in different weather conditions and how each requires different shots, strategy and skills. I love that no matter how good I get, I'll always have room for improvment. I love the pace as it gives a person time to their own thoughts or time to bond and connect with those you're playing with.

But perhaps the biggest reason that I find this game appealing is that it's such a deep game - when I'm on a golf course I feel as if everything is right in the world. There is something in golf that is very philosophical and beautiful. And that's what I love...
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Not sure if I can say that I can hit ANY shot a pro can...
For me, its the challenge and just the fun of playing golf.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

For me it would probably be the fact that you can propel the ball over 230yards away with control, and then having to think what to do next. The options involved in every shot, what club to use and also the way that you get hole it from ages away and feel on top of the world. I have to say being brilliant at golf would be sooo satisfying, pulling off great shots most of the time
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

It's the only thing I have ever worked really hard at and still not become great (or at least good). Knowing I will never master it makes golf a game for life, or until my back goes out whichever comes first.
Also I love the peace that playing a round of golf early in the morning on a beautiful MN course gives. It can be surreal at times.

In My Bag
Driver: 907 D2 10.5 degrees Aldila VS Proto
3 Wood: 906 F4 15.5 degrees Aldila VS Proto
Hybrid: Idea Pro 20 degrees Aldila VS Proto
Irons (3-P): i5Wedges: Vokey 52.8 and Vokey Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Style NewportBall: Pro V1x or NXT Tour

For me, I think it is really cool that I can hit a shot that a pro can. You can hole out from 150 yards just like Tiger. In baseball, you can't hit a 98 mph fastball; in tennis, you can't return a 140 mph serve; in basketball, you can't post up D12. Golf, though, you can hit

There are a number of reasons: 1. I learned by playing with my Dad and it gave us a lot of "together time". 2. It is the game for a lifetime. I am 60 years old now, and will play until I am no longer able to do so, with some skill. 3. It is a family game,and I have played many rounds with my daughter and son. Now, I have been taking our 4 year old grand daughter, THE RYLEIGH GIRL, to the practice putting green, the practice area, and the course itself. She LOVES golf. I have been doing this since she was 2 years old. 4. It really tests your mental game, and it can be very frustrating. 5. You can play with your friends for fun or compete in a tournament for money. 6. It is played out-of-doors on beautiful courses. 7. It does not depend on great strength. Little guys, like Gary Player, can beat the "big boys" like Gary did with Arnie and Jack. 8. Some courses have gorgeous cart girls driving the beverage cart!!

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Fresh air, exercise, the challenge, gear to tinker with, and I think it is one of the few sports that you can actually get better at as you get older.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Knowing that when I'm 65, even though I won't be able to go out on the basketball court and play 1-on-1 with my grandchildren, I will still be able to take those same grandchildren to play a round of golf. It's a game for life.

Out in the elements. Watching the ball fly through the air is beautiful. The comraderie on the course with friends or new acquantenses. The relative solitude and escape from our busy lives. The competition (with some very close friends) I have a friend, in particular, that was on the class 5A Texas highschool varsity championship team (same team as Harrison Frazar). When I first started playing golf he would regularly beat me (of course) He would shoot low to mid 70s, while I struggled to break 90. He taught me a lot about the game. We live in different parts of Texas (read 300 miles apart) so we play maybe 4 times a year. Every round we play is so special. Three years ago I skunked hime (he was suffering from tendonitis in his ankles). Last year I beat him once. This year he has beaten me by a total of 3 strokes (played twice so far). I love golf.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

There are so many aspects of golf that make me love the game. The subtleties of the swing, the stroke, the technique, the result, playing the course. The scenery, the feeling of a living piece of land that you need to learn to communicate with. What a great game.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It started last July 4th, me and some friends drinking beer and whacking the shite out of the white ball. Then we went again. And watched the other golfers, the serious golfers. Then we started learning about how golf is really supposed to be played.

Being outdoors, with friends, having fun. What's not appealing?

Steve

In my Cart Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw 9*
3W: Ovation 15*
Hybrid Halo 19* 2H, Halo 22* 3H
Irons: i/3 O-Size 4-PWSW: Vokey SM 56*Putter: Anser

being outdoors...
you can play alll by yourself or it can be a 'team' sport...
its alot more difficult/challenging than most ppl think...
competing with my brothers...
its a 3-4 hour escape...
it involves strategy and thinking like chess...
its downright fun
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

It's me against the course and against myself. No one else to get in the way the majority of the time. Especially good if it's a slow day and I can go off as a single. Besides that, it's a good way to get outside and walk for a handful of hours. That and it can be good for networking purposes.

Because every shot is different and I have to look to the next shot. Just as in life, we have to look forward as one cannot undo the past. It's the next shot that matters

Mostly things everyone else has said..

-Being outside
-Able to get away from things
-The challenge
-Able to do it alone
-Chance to spend more time with Dad

It started for a get away. When my sig. other moved after high school I had to find something to do just to clear my mind. It maintains my focus on something other than what I don't want to be thinking about. When I need to get away I will generaly just go relax on the range or play a round.

Bag: Ogio
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 gold stiff
3W: Pro Select 15*
Irons: Pro Select 3-PW
Wedge:Adams Tom Watson set GW, SW, LWPutter: Cleveland VP 1balls: E6+ or Srixonshoes: Adidas powerband"Stop looking at my ears and play!"Home course. Antler Creek; tees; Black 77.5/150, Gold...

The primary reason is the ability to play on the same course, at the same time as my boys and wife. We can go out and have a great time together, playing on the same course, or field. We don't have this with any other sport!

In the bag:
Driver: Rapture V2, 9 degree, stiff shaft
Fairway Woods: X-Hot 3 wood
Hybrid: 3H
Irons: J36 PC 4-PW Project X 6.0 Shafts, FlightedWedges: CG14, 50 54 and 58 degree Putter: Guerin Rife 2 Bar with Winn grip B330S Pro V1x

Golf is a mental and physical challenge with yourself. It is pretty neat that this happens outdoors, is done with friends, and every single shot is different.

RC

Note: This thread is 5574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!