IGNORED

Scotty Cameron putter - shortening the shaft?

apex53
Note: This thread is 5561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have heard that shortening the shaft of a Scotty Cameron putter can throw the weight/balance out of whack... Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance!

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

that's correct, don't cut the shafts . each length putter has a different weight for the putter head for balance.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I have heard that shortening the shaft of a Scotty Cameron putter can throw the weight/balance out of whack... Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance!

It is true the shaft of a Cameron being shortened can throw it off, but to be honest I'm not sure you would ever notice. It has also been said you should never take off the original grip off a Cameron. I have regripped my Cameron numerous times and haven't noticed a difference. In fact, because i now have a preferred grip and preferred alignment i put better. I would say go ahead man, make your putter the way you like it.

Ping Hoofer Team
TaylorMade Tour Burner TP 8.5* Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65 Stiff
Titleist 13.5* 906F Aldila VS Proto 'ByYou' 80-S
TaylorMade TP Smoke Irons 3-PW Project X Rifled 6.0
Cleveland CG 12 ZIP Grooves 54* 58* Scotty Cameron Studio Style 1.5 35' Golf Pride Butter Grip. Titleist...

It is true the shaft of a Cameron being shortened can throw it off, but to be honest I'm not sure you would ever notice. It has also been said you should never take off the original grip off a Cameron. I have regripped my Cameron numerous times and haven't noticed a difference. In fact, because i now have a preferred grip and preferred alignment i put better. I would say go ahead man, make your putter the way you like it.

That's kind of what I thought... I just don't putt well with a 35" putter... The newer model Camerons have the option of 33, 34, and 35 inch lengths and the weight is different for each model... I just bought an older Cameron and wanted to make it 33... I appreciate the insight!

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

My pro is a short man and uses a very short putter 32.5. He wanted a lighter head weight with his SC so he cut a 35 down to a 33. He has a couple of strips of lead tape on the sole but besides that i didnt notice much a difference between when the putter was 35in to the 33 it is now.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by VardonFlyer

If you want to spend the money you can go to the Scotty Cameron web site and send it in to get shortened and they will change the weighting to match the new length.

Loyalty above all else, except honor.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Or for the same price as sending the putter in you could just get a new one of ebay

. I alos have to shorten my red x atleast 2 inches, ill just ask my coach what he thinks and post it here.

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

I cut a 35" Ping zing2 putter down to 34" and, believe it or not, it really made it "feel" a lot lighter. This is part of the reason I stopped using it, made it feel less stable on off center hits. If you can't increase the head weight to 350gm or so at 33" it won't feel the same as the 330gm head on the 35" shaft. People will suggest lead tape but that's not a very elegent solution, might try some sort of internal weighting to the shaft to provide the weight. I'd talk to a club maker, surely they have something they use for these situations...
In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

Without a doubt don't cut it. The heads all have a different weight to match the length of the club. It is supposed to have a really good balance point. If you mess with the shaft (and weight of the the shaft) you would throw off the swingweight of your putter.

I also read that switching grips can also throw the swingweight off quite a bit. I forget the exact relation of grip weight to s.w., but it does affect it. I have used a Cameron with a jumbo grip and it felt like crap. Then I used my friend's Cameron (same version) with a Cameron grip and there was a world of difference.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

i cut mine down and it feels great

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

I cut my Scotty circa 62 down an inch and have never putted better at least i did but now i cant play because it has not gotten out of the 20s for a week now!!!!

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

Go ahead and cut it. If you don't like it put a plug init.
Another thing I do besides lead tape on the sole is to put lead tape lead tape under the grip. The golf pride guy gave me this tip.

Remove the grip, wind 6" or so of the lead tape then put the double sided grip tape over the lead tape and slide the new grip on.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

I sent mine into Scotty to have it done right. The place that I bought mine fron only had a 35" and 34". I prefer the 33". So I bought one and sent it into the custom shop. I had it cut to 33", re-gripped, and put the extra heavy weights in the head. I switched from a mallet to a blade and I really like the extra mass in the head, so a straight shaft cut would have been a step in the wrong direction for me.

Also, the idea of shortening the putter length and making it feel lighter does not only apply to Cameron putters. If you cut any putter down it will feel lighter.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

Remove the grip, wind 6" or so of the lead tape then put the double sided grip tape over the lead tape and slide the new grip on.

While this in fact would change the total weight of the club, it seems it would still not return the original swing weight (and likely change it completely yet again) due to so much of the weight now being carried high in the grip...

In the bag:

i dont understand why you cant cut the shaft down. i wanted a 35" Newport with a 360g head but i could only find a 34" with a 360g head. so i bought the 34", added a 1" extension, and poof, i had my 35" Newport with a 360g head... i would think it would be the same thing the other way around?

i dont understand why you cant cut the shaft down. i wanted a 35" Newport with a 360g head but i could only find a 34" with a 360g head. so i bought the 34", added a 1" extension, and poof, i had my 35" Newport with a 360g head... i would think it would be the same thing the other way around?

Not really. Think about it like a sledge hammer. Take an 8lb hammer on a 16" handle, grab it by the end of the handle and hold it out straight, say it's a bit heavy but your wrist/arm will support it. Now take that same 8lb hammer head and put it on a 36" handle and try to do the same: it will be WAY harder. Due to the greater length (I guess it increases the leverage the hammer has over the arm/wrist) the perceived weight of the head is increased. The same thing is happening when you cut or extend a club shaft.

Worth noting is that in this example we have probably altered the ACTUAL TOTAL weight of the hammer very slightly but we have exponentially increased the force it exerts on a body attempting to hold the hammer parallel to the ground (ie the "Swing-Weight") Sorry to get so wordy, I realize this is a much exaggerated example but still the same principle...
In the bag:

Your putter will feel noticibly lighter. I cut My TeI3 from 35 to 33 inches and it feels alot lighter when you swing it. For me, i put a little lead tape on the bottom, and that helped..but it was really a matter of re-learing my "feel" It will be different, but it shouldnt make you putt any different, it will just take some getting used too.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Note: This thread is 5561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!