IGNORED

DG X100 vs DG S300

jjb333
Note: This thread is 3652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm in the hunt for a new set of irons on ebay. The particular set I'm interested in have DG X100 shafts when I was planning on getting DG S300 shafts. I'm a bit concerned that the DG X100 shafts will be too stiff for me. I have a pretty quick tempo swing, and my carry distances are as follows for a full swing. I wish I knew my swing speed but unfortunately I don't.

PW-145
9-155
8-165
7-180
6-190
5-200
4-210
3-215

Essentially my question is if you can play DG S300s, can you play DG X100s?

PW-145
9-155
8-165
7-180
6-190
5-200
4-210
3-215

If those are your stock carry distances , you could probably handle X100's without much of an issue ... Go find some at a local range and demo them to be sure before pulling the trigger ... -- K.

I'm in the hunt for a new set of irons on ebay. The particular set I'm interested in have DG X100 shafts when I was planning on getting DG S300 shafts. I'm a bit concerned that the DG X100 shafts will be too stiff for me. I have a pretty quick tempo swing, and my carry distances are as follows for a full swing. I wish I knew my swing speed but unfortunately I don't.

I am assuming those figures are in yards? You can play the X-100 with your distance. I have very similar distance as yours but playing S300. Just a personal choice.

Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I was in the same boat, pretty close to your distances, played S300 for a very long time, and rather than go with full on X100, i did the x100 SL, which means they are a good deal lighter than the X100, so if your worried about them being too much, these may be a good option. I had a problem because the normal X100's sapped distance because they were so heavy, but with the SL, i get the smooth feeling, but the same carry and spin as my S300.

Hope this helps!

Brian

Also, i too have never hit the ball very high, but i did not notice a huge difference in height, maybe a 2 or 3 yards, but nothing that affected my distances..

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Remember that there are other options out there when it comes to shafts as well . For me , the Apollo Hump shafts in S flex were the correct fit . For many others , the Rifle shaft works well , somewhat due to the more precise frequency matching system that allows you to find shafts that may flex somewhere between the S300 and the X100 . Don't feel as if there are only two choices for you on the market .

I often found X100 a bit harsh for me from a vibration standpoint ( although I'm sure the Sensicore model might be smoother ) . I found that both a Rifle 6.5 and the Apollo Hump dampened more vibration and gave me a better feel thru impact . Good luck ... -- K.

I hit the X-100 shaft and have very few problems with it, and your distances are about 10-15 yards longer than mine. I tested both when searching for new clubs last year. My problem with the S-300 was that when I wanted to hit a ball hard, the shot would always drift to the left. It got to the point where I couldn't hit a full 8-iron anymore. I would have to choke down on a 7 to get the distance. Now I can hit full shots if I need to with out any problem.

I get the same ball flight and height with both shafts. The 100 is supposed to be lower, but for me it isn't. I have always hit the ball high though. Guys I play with marvel about how I can hit a wedge 150 yards over a tree, when in reality, it was a 8-iron. The big benefit for me is that I am able to hit the ball low when I need to, and it is much easier to do so with the 100.

Someone mentioned that the 100 is heavier and that is why distances go down. I don't think that is correct. They are the same weight. My experience (and personal opinion) was that since they don't flex as much, you don't get that little extra whip of the shaft which for me is probably what added the distance. I initially lost about 5-6 yards per club. The more I play with them, I am figuring out ways to get the distance back.

I have much better control with the 100 also. My old set I would sometimes wonder where the ball would go if I swung a certain way. Not anymore. Now I know if I am drastically off target it is a swing flaw rather than a shaft issue.

Of course the best thing to do would be to find a demo club with the X-100 and hit it as much as you can and see how it works for you. I prefer the 100 over the 300 but that doesn't mean everyone will. You would probably be okay, but you should really test it out first. The other option would be just to get them and if you don't like them, sell them, or just get them reshafted.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

• 4 years later...
I know this thread is old but what the heck... I was testing out the new Mizuno Mp h4 5 and 4 irons today with dgs300 shafts. I play mp 53s with dgs300s and love them (except the 5 and 4 irons don't fly high enough for me because my ball flight is naturally lower, hence trying the h4s:). I loved the mp h4s and was getting the exact numbers I was after and could really work the ball on command with them. I asked the fitter if he thought I should go with an X100 soft stepped and his reply was "why?" I had to think of a good reason to go with anything other than the s300s and the best I could come up with was that playing x100s would be good for my ego, but other than that I didn't need anything more than the s300s. His advice was to use a shaft that made controlling the ball flight the easiest and considering that the s300 gives me complete control that's what I'm going with. Just something to consider next time you're getting new irons.

A stiffer shaft will get you a lower ball flight.

Altho i'm on the same distance, i personally will never go with x100 shafts.

I use KBS tour stiff shafts

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

• 10 months later...

The way I see it from a manufacturer standpoint the dg x-100 sl are basically s-300 guaranteed at a lighter weight. The dg sl s-300 would play on average more like a reg flex and I know from experience playing them in the 990's for 7 years. Shafts vary from batch to batch that's why they have tour issue being more expensive and are the best of the batch in terms of consistency. your safest bet is to get dg x-100 sl at .25 over and get your clubs bent 1 deg flat. This will result in a higher ball flight and more spin but still have a tighter dispersion than s-300 at 130 grams and the x-100 sl is around 110. The plus .25 will soften the shaft a quarter of a flex giving you that higher ball flight. If however this isn't a route you want then go even further and flight your own irons. Go .25 over from 6 iron to 3 iron and standard from 7 to pw bending accordingly to adapt for lie angle. The main problem you have with Sl is shaft diameter and tip stiffness somehow or another the interior wall of the shaft is going to be weaker and thinner than the tour issue s-400 and that's why the pros play it because it straighter from a more solid piece of material but much heavier at 134 grams.

The way I see it from a manufacturer standpoint the dg x-100 sl are basically s-300 guaranteed at a lighter weight. The dg sl s-300 would play on average more like a reg flex and I know from experience playing them in the 990's for 7 years. Shafts vary from batch to batch that's why they have tour issue being more expensive and are the best of the batch in terms of consistency. your safest bet is to get dg x-100 sl at .25 over and get your clubs bent 1 deg flat. This will result in a higher ball flight and more spin but still have a tighter dispersion than s-300 at 130 grams and the x-100 sl is around 110. The plus .25 will soften the shaft a quarter of a flex giving you that higher ball flight. If however this isn't a route you want then go even further and flight your own irons. Go .25 over from 6 iron to 3 iron and standard from 7 to pw bending accordingly to adapt for lie angle. The main problem you have with Sl is shaft diameter and tip stiffness somehow or another the interior wall of the shaft is going to be weaker and thinner than the tour issue s-400 and that's why the pros play it because it straighter from a more solid piece of material but much heavier at 134 grams.

Holy crap on a cracker. With responses like these, it's little wonder that there is so much confusion about shafts in general. I've never heard such a load of BS in all my 30+ years of building clubs. Unless of course you were being sarcastic - which is unlikely if you're from the US.

Holy crap on a cracker. With responses like these, it's little wonder that there is so much confusion about shafts in general. I've never heard such a load of BS in all my 30+ years of building clubs. Unless of course you were being sarcastic - which is unlikely if you're from the US.

I think you would find many Americans to be very sarcastic, especially if they are from the Northeast.  Not sure about this guy though.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you would find many Americans to be very sarcastic, especially if they are from the Northeast.  Not sure about this guy though.

Are you being sarcastic? :-$

On topic, there is not too much difference in a wood, but in an iron. DG-S300 shafts make you work really hard compared to the other shafts I've used. Even needed a lesson just to be able to swing them.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Wait, guys, I'm American. Can you talk slower?

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Note: This thread is 3652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!