IGNORED

Overlap vs Interlock vs Baseball Grips

Note: This thread is 3986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 years ago I went from interlock to overlap and never looked back. Interlock was beginning to hurt my fingers for some reason. Since I've been doing overlap everything just feels more comfortable. I don't have to squeeze the club as hard to make it feel secure in my hands. Stopped wearing a glove as well, feel like I don't need it with the overlap, unless it is really hot and I'm pouring sweat.

My right hand seems much more active/strong using an interlock. My left with an overlap. In other words, I'm more of a "hitter" with an interlock, and a "swinger" with an overlap.

Of course, now someone will come along and say it works just the opposite for them.

Just use what works for you.

My general impression is significantly more amateurs use an interlock than pros. Does anyone know what percentage of pros use each grip?

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

• 2 weeks later...
I use a baseball grip too and was told to swtich, but I couldn't even hit the hole I was on when I tried either overlap or interlock.
Anyone have advice on that?

• 9 months later...
I use an interlock grip and i was just wondering, when the the pinky and index finger inter lock, do they interlock all the way, or just interlock half way?

I use the interlock grip, but I'm not sure what you're talking about, although I'll take a guess. I don't interlock down to the point that the webbing of the fingers are pushed against each other. For me, the second knuckle on each finger line up with each other (and with all the other fingers on both hands). Is that what you're asking?

I'm curious is to how many people use what grip? I myself use Inter-lock and have since day one. Also has anyone used both? and which do they like better? pro's con's?? I seen that Serigo has switched to inter-lock and the guys on tv said he would lose a little power because the swing is not so handsy? So if that's the case could you gain more power by switched to overlap? PS. figured I'd post this on here since the majority of us are on this Forum.

In my TaylorMade Catalina cart bag
TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 TP 8.5*
Cobra Baffler Pro 18* Aldila NV Hybrid Stiff
TaylorMade 300 Forged 3-PW Rifle Flighted 6.0 Stiff
Cleavland 691 Tour Action 52* CG10 58*All wraped in Itomic Tacki-mac grips Oddesy White Hot #4 cut down to 33 1/2" Tempest...

I'm a 10-finger guy myself. I've tried both interlocking and overlapping but still feel most comfortable with the 10-finger. Yes, I know the pros/cons of the 10-finger grip, but it just works for me.

Irons - nike.gif Forged Blades / Project X 7.0

Driver - nike.gif VR Pro Ltd. Edition 8.5° / FUBUKI Alpha 70x

Wood - nike.gif SQ 3+ 13° / Stock Diamana S-Flex
Wedges - cleveland.gif Tour Action Gunmetal Reg 588 54° & 60° / DG S400
Putter - White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

Bag - nike.gif SQ Tour Carry

I just changed to interlock and love it. I seem to have a bit more control and feel.

From Overlap? did you notice any distance changes?

Cleavland 691 Tour Action 52* CG10 58*All wraped in Itomic Tacki-mac grips Oddesy White Hot #4 cut down to 33 1/2" Tempest...

I started off with baseball grip. Someone mentioned to try the overlap. It took about a week to get used to but now I can't play any other way. I have tried the interlock but my hands are way to small and it doesn't work for me.

I switched to the overlap this winter. With the overlapping grip, my right hand would get too active and, after a bad round, I decided to change it. It took a little while to get used to, but I have seen an increase in distance and accuracy. I don't necessarily think the improvements came just from my grip, though. It has helped me relax my grip and my swing tempo has improved.

Cleveland Hibore XL
Mizuno F60 3 wood
3-PW MP 68
52 & 56 Vokey
Odyssey White Steel 2 Ball

I switched to the overlap this winter. With the overlapping grip, my right hand would get too active and, after a bad round, I decided to change it. It took a little while to get used to, but I have seen an increase in distance and accuracy. I don't necessarily think the improvements came just from my grip, though. It has helped me relax my grip and my swing tempo has improved.

Wait..did you mean you switched to overlap from inter-lock?? or other way around? You had overlap & overlapping in that post??

when I first started golf as a junior I used the interlocking grip. During high school I broke my wrists so the interlocking grip for some reason wouldn't work anymore. I switched to the overlap and things started to work again.

~It's the Indian not the Arrow ~

In my bag:
Driver: X460
3 Wood: WarbirdIrons: X18 Pros (3-PW)56 degree wedge: Oil can60 degree wedge: FeO2Putter: Desert Club: ISI 8 Iron~Still looking for a Straw hat~

Ive always used the my interlock and love it, tried overlap a few times but I seem to have lost distence because my club head speed was dropping 15 MPH

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

Note: This thread is 3986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!