IGNORED

Calling all TALL golfers!!! Length of your clubs?

Note: This thread is 1699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6'5" tall w/o shoes.

My irons & wedges are 1.5" over standard length and 3 degrees upright.

My woods are 1" over standard length.

My actual fitting sessions that I've had over the years have all suggested 1"-1.25" over standard. I got them a tad longer because I will frequently grip down a bit if I'm between clubs.

You have to be very careful about flex stiffness as lengthening them w/o considering the effects will give you clubs that are way less stiff.

I've played oversized grips in the past, but now prefer regular sized grips with two extra layers of tape beneath them.

I know exactly what you mean about playing "baby clubs". It just didn't work worth a crap for me. First fitted set made a really big difference.

Good luck.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 6'2" and playing a standard length/lie right now. My plan is put in a season with my cheaper irons (the ignites I picked up on the cheap). If I play enough I get to reward myself with a step up and a fitting.

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

Awesome that you responded here.... i see you're about my level and tall as well so I find it all very helpful.

If at all possible, take a few lessons to get your grip and basic swing down first, because that can affect the lie. It has for me. My 4 up may be bent to 3 up.

In the bag:
Driver: Rapture V2, 9 degree, stiff shaft
Fairway Woods: X-Hot 3 wood
Hybrid: 3H
Irons: J36 PC 4-PW Project X 6.0 Shafts, FlightedWedges: CG14, 50 54 and 58 degree Putter: Guerin Rife 2 Bar with Winn grip B330S Pro V1x

Not exactly. Here's the best picture that I found to explain it.

Cool! Thanks for posting that. i will have to check it out after work...

In the bag:
Irons: J36 PC 4-PW Project X 6.0 Shafts, FlightedWedges: CG14, 50 54 and 58 degree Putter: Guerin Rife 2 Bar with Winn grip B330S Pro V1x

I'm 6'4" in shoes, wrist-to-floor about 40". My irons are +1.5" and 1° upright. My hybrids and 3-wood are 1/2" over standard, and my driver is 44.5", standard or just a little under.

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

If at all possible, take a few lessons to get your grip and basic swing down first, because that can affect the lie. It has for me. My 4 up may be bent to 3 up.

Yeah... Just bought Hogan's book the other day and it's given me some good answers. Already I've improved a lot... swing consistency-wise in the sense that I can hit it the same distances with A LOT less effort.

I've found two leads on real fitters in my area... but they didn't reply to my emails so I'll have to try calling. The weather is disgusting right now so most golf things are closed... guess I just have to wait. (Still grateful I'm down south where I only have to wait a couple days as opposed to months!!!)

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

Great thread so far...I'm 6'5 as well but am just getting into the sport.

I'm looking at getting a new irons set, but can't figure out why the measurements are so different from brand to brand. My wrist measurement is 39", but the sizing charts I've looked at suggest everything from adding .75" to 2.0. Any help?

Also, any suggestion for picking longer brand name clubs on the cheap? I've scoured most of the auction sites and discounters but rarely see anything but standard sizes.

Great thread so far...I'm 6'5 as well but am just getting into the sport.

When searching for Ping search for Orange or Maroon Dot. You will find a lot more advertised that way as opposed to searching +1 etc.

In the bag:

I'm 6'4" and play plus 1.5 length and 3* upright and play all my wedges at the same length
Driver is 45.5 inches
echo on the fitting, it will save you a lot of hassles, and your club pro will look at you swing rather than just your measurements
and not a fan of the ping dot fitting, it was a bad experience for me

In the Sasquatch Tour Stand Bag

L4V 9* Fujikura Rombax Z 6Z08
S9-1 Pro 15* Matrix OZIK X-Con
Baffler Pro 21* Golfsmith P2 irons - 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 CG14 Chrome Wedges Dynamic Gold X100 52* 56* 60* Rossa Monza SpiderBall - TP Red

thanks for the tip on the Ping fitting. I was having a hard time even finding ping maroon dot's used and maybe it was good reason. Do you choke up with your 1 1/2's at all? I usually choke up a bit on my irons and wonder if I should look at the +2 range...

Great tread for us tall guys. Sorry if I goes a bit OT, but as as newbee I´m unable to star a new tread. I have been playing std. irons for many years. Now maybe it is time for fitting.
Found some online fitting on the web ( Golfsmith). The outcome; .25" longer 2* up (I´m 6,3) That was what I expected. Just before logging out, thought I might check my Wedges as well. And now to my suprise; .25 longer 1* FLAT !!!!

What?!!! Have any of you gentlemen any expl.?????

I checked my specs. 2 times, nothing there.

6'5" , not sure of my exact WTF measurement ... I currently play custom irons that are ~ 1.5 longer than standard specs . The one thing that I do NOT do is play a longer than standard fairway wood or driver . In fact , my driver is 44" ( I used to play 43.5" in steel ) with a graphite shaft .

I think a lot of players do themselves a disservice by playing the driver at too long a length . Since I am taller , my arc is big enough to start with . Unlike irons shots , I am not hitting my driver with a descending blow , so lie angles are less of an issue than they are with irons -- my driver's leading edge never strikes the ground . If I play with a driver longer than my 44" model , I have a hard time keeping track of what my clubhead is doing . 44" is the average length of drivers on Tour as well . I hit it plenty long enough and with greater consistency with my driver built @ 44" .

The other adjustment I have made is to play all 3 of my irons ( 48* , 54* ,60* ) at the same shaft length . For the taller player with a long WTF measurement , the short irons can be difficult to hit if they are too short ( particularly the LW ) . I really don't see the need to alter the length of the last few clubs in my bag if doing so makes them more difficult for me to hit . -- K.

I'm 6'3" and my shafts are + 1" and 2degrees upright.

An interesting question- is 'standard' the same for all club manufacturers? I seem to remember that when I had Pings, the same amount of upright was considered 4 degrees vs. 2 degrees for Titleist?

Driver: Taylor Made RBZ HL
3-Wood:Taylor Made RBZ 16*
Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ 19* and 22*
4i-PW: Titleist AP 1
Wedges: Vokey 54*, 60* Putter: Cameron Squareback 2 Ball: Pro V1x

I don't think so BCP...I had a long chat with one of the Golfsmith guys on saturday and he mentioned it's a real pain that every clubmaker has a different standard. He mentioned Ping was probably the easiest to fit due to the color system, but I don't care for them myself.

Has anyone tried bringing clubs in for lengthening? The same employee mentioned its really hard to lengthen some clubs because it's near impossible to change the club face angle. Anyone heard this?

I've had clubs lengthened , and I can see in some cases having the lie angle adjusted ... don't see how this would affect face angle -- ? I do know that lengthening a club does make it play a bit more upright automatically for the taller player . If you play clubs that are way too short for you , you have to make them more upright just to help compensate for the lack of proper length .

I used to play Titleist 962's @ 2" overlength , but I ddin't have to adjust the standard lie angle at all . When I went to a custom set of irons ( Wood Bros heads ) that are built only 1 1/2" longer than standard , I did make some adjustments to bend the heads more upright . -- K.

i'm a little of 6'1" and actually play my irons .5" shorther than standard with a 2* flat lie angle. my driver is standard and my 3W is 1" shorter than standard.
In The Bag
Tour Burner TP 9.5* Diamana Whiteboard 83 X-Stiff, tipped 2"
906 F2 13* Pro Force V2 95G Stiff
Idea Pro Gold 18* Aldila NV 105X
735.CM 3-PW Project X 6.5 Ordered Mizuno MP68 KBS Tour X Vokey Spin Milled 58* Vokey Spin Milled 64* Bettinardi BC-1 33" x77 stand bag Pro V1

i'm a little of 6'1" and actually play my irons .5" shorther than standard with a 2* flat lie angle. my driver is standard and my 3W is 1" shorter than standard.

Do you play with your hands very close to your body ? -- K.

• 3 weeks later...
thanks for the info here, but to someone as new to golf as i am it sounds like dutch. I am 6'3 barefoot and have never played golf until a few weeks ago. I had a few lessons and started to get frustrated with the sport. My golfing friends told me to stop the lessons for now and come play with them. I did that and the more i play the more i feel like the irons are too short. Without getting too complicated, what do you think i should do next. All the clubs are the same at the club house. Should i measure my "wrist to ground" and look for some longer clubs? Where would i start to look online.
Should such a newbie should just shut up and play for a while?

Note: This thread is 1699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!