IGNORED

Calling all TALL golfers!!! Length of your clubs?

Note: This thread is 1678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm 6'5" and I have been playing 1/2" over and 2* upright for a couple years. I'm getting a new set this month and will be ordering them 1" lengthened and 2* upright. For me the 1" is enough to make a difference but not drastic. You notice it when swinging a stardard length club. As mentioned above if you get forged clubs they are very easy to have bent up without damaging the club head. For me 1" is more than enough and doesn't alter the weight of the club to the point that it is noticebly heavy.

I usually plub my wedges. My last wedge was plugged 1/2" and I just got a Vokey plugged 1" over. Not sure if I can have the vokey bent upright or not .. I haven't looked into it. but I dont' really notice too much of a difference in club weight as well.

Overall I think 1" longer and 1.5 - 2* upright is perfect. 5* upright just seems absurd.

Good luck!

X86 stand bag
905T Driver
AP2 4-W
R5 3 wood
3 hybrid Vokey SM 56 #1 putter Pro V1/Pro V1x

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 6'3" and using +1/2", 2 degrees upright.

My old roommate was 6'5" and he was using +1", 2 degrees upright.

Just get fitted.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

hard for taller golfers to find "deals" on sticks

I've been custom ordering sticks since my second set of irons 12 years ago.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

6'5" , not sure of my exact WTF measurement ... I currently play custom irons that are ~ 1.5 longer than standard specs . The one thing that I do NOT do is play a longer than standard fairway wood or driver . In fact , my driver is 44" ( I used to play 43.5" in steel ) with a graphite shaft .

I have similar ideas, at a shade below 6-4 barefoot. Over the past couple of years I've moved to longer irons and shorter driver.

I play steel shafted irons at 38.5 for a 5 iron which generally translates to +.5 to +1, depending on the manufacturer. I have sets ranging from standard to one degree upright. Right now the one degree upright is going left on me, frustrating. I've always had that basic problem, measured on static sites or fitting sessions for one or two degrees upright, then in practice the shots go left on me. I had my Hogan Apex Grinds bent back to standard years ago and it was the proper move. My driver has been a weakness in the post-persimmon 45 inch era. I can't control the high CC junk, all over the place. More forgiveness means squat if comparatively you simply hit the smaller shorter club much better and more consistently. I've gone back to 43.5 steel and 44 graphite recently, and may have some of my recent drivers reshafted and shortened. I love the feeling of getting through the ball with the small shorter drivers, as opposed to what the heck will happen this time? The only mega one I've owned and seem to handle reasonably well is the Callaway 454. It doesn't look absurdly oversized to me at address and for whatever reason it promotes a smooth takeaway. Normally I'm too quick with the driver takeaway, and with the 45 inch and 460cc stuff that leads to brutal erraticism. I play all my wedges at 36 inches, from 48 degrees to 58. But I might shave my favorite Haig Ultra 51 degree wedge back to 35.5. It was an awesome pitching machine 8 or 9 months ago at the shorter length. Once I lengthened it I've lost some touch.

Im 6-4 and i play standard length and lie clubs. I should probably go get fit, but i they feel right so no complaints so far.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

thanks for the info here, but to someone as new to golf as i am it sounds like dutch. I am 6'3 barefoot and have never played golf until a few weeks ago. I had a few lessons and started to get frustrated with the sport. My golfing friends told me to stop the lessons for now and come play with them. I did that and the more i play the more i feel like the irons are too short. Without getting too complicated, what do you think i should do next. All the clubs are the same at the club house. Should i measure my "wrist to ground" and look for some longer clubs? Where would i start to look online.

I think the easiest thing to do is go get fit if that option is open to you. If not, second on my list of easy/cheap is to look into extenstions.

http://golfworks.com/category.asp_Q_...555_A_c2c_E_ln I don't regret at all starting with my standard length clubs. To this day, I've still hit my best score with them (though, if you want to get technical with course ratings and such... I'm not sure it still holds.) I also do not regret going to my custom fit clubs. Honestly, in my case (and opinion) the lie makes a bigger difference. My thinking is that despite the clubs being "too short" my current PW is shorter than my old 7/8. But where before I'd feel like I'd unnaturally be bending my back/knees to get into a proper position, now it all feels more comfortable and natural. I don't top nearly as many balls as I used to since changing. That's really the biggest difference.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

The answer to your question really involves quite a few variables.

If it were me, and you were really serious about your game, and getting this fitting right the first time, I would embrace a custom fitting from a very reputable fitter. If you ever get to the Pheonix area, I have heard great things about Hot Stix. My dad was fitted by them a couple of years ago and you can hit just about any club and shaft combination you can think of. Might be worth a look into...

http://www.hotstixgolf.com

As a some have illuded, I think a custom fit should be done by a professional who can account for your swing and setup. If you have not taken a lesson, perhaps there are some things in your setup that need to be addressed first. The length and lie of your clubs cannot be accurately assessed by measurements alone. Your stance alone could effect both of these variables. If your stance is too upright, or your hands are too close to your body, this will effect your lie angle at impact. I believe the proper length and lie should be determined by your hand position at impact, which is a factor of your height, proper address, and swing plane. It can only be done in person, and by a professional. Otherwise, you will play with someone's best guess.

That said, I dont think it is unreasonable to assume you will play with something in the +1 range. Likely to be upright, but how much I cant say for sure. It is true, if you are playing with a club with a lie that is too flat for your swing, the ball will have a tendency to go to the left. The opposite is also true. So will be the effect if you are playing with a club that is too long, it may also have a tendency to go to the left. I believe length will be determined first, then your lie.

The longer the club, the heavier it will be. It will effect swing speed and swing weight. It will also effect shaft flex. A custom fitting is your only chance. You do not want to buy a set of standard clubs and plug them. Your swing weights and flex will be a complete disaster. The lie would also be more difficult to address, especially on a cast club if you choose to go in that direction. They tend to be a bit brittle of you need to adjust them more than a couple of degrees.

If it were me, and you were going to spend some money on a fitting, I might lean in the direction of a good cast club. If you play a lot, they will last longer than a forged club, and you will get a better return on your fitting.

May sound like rocket science, but it's not. Just go get fit, and dont guess at this one.

The answer to your question really involves quite a few variables.

Most shaft manufacturers disagree with you. In their professional opinions, lengthening a shaft increases swingweight which means more flexible (like you said) but ALSO increasing length adds more butt to the shaft which makes the shaft more STIFF. In the end, they feel it balances out and length of the shaft will not change whether you need a different shaft.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

Most shaft manufacturers disagree with you. In their professional opinions, lengthening a shaft increases swingweight which means more flexible (like you said) but ALSO increasing length adds more butt to the shaft which makes the shaft more STIFF. In the end, they feel it balances out and length of the shaft will not change whether you need a different shaft.

I was refering more to plugging a club than to the proper tip and length cuts of a professional fit.

6'4.5" in bare feet...38.5" wrist-to-floor...53 yrs, 230 lbs

Haven't read all of the posts, but did read 4-5 pages...noticed a few things:

- Ping will adjust the lie on any Ping irons for a nominal charge, usually just shipping (took mine to Golf Galaxy, they packaged and shipped to Ping at no charge)
- extending a club length is easily done at any club fitter for a nominal charge
- one manufacturers +1 degree is anothers "standard"...same with length

I started with Ping G2s +1.5" maroon dot +5 degree. The problem is, while the steeper swing angle feels more "natural" at first, the steeper swing angle is probably not the best foundation to build a good, solid, enjoyable game on. There's a reason Tiger made his swing more shallow, I was experiencing my own problems.

What I found was that the steeper swing plane made hitting driver (and other long clubs) more difficult to keep from fading/slicing and the resultant loss of distance.

So, worked on swing angle, adjusted G2s back to normal (black dot), and all worked out well. Purchased used set of Macgregor M-675 V-Foil forged irons (+1.5" length) with standard lie and discovered that I need to choke up 0.5-1" for irons 2-8, 9 & PW not so much...go figure. (Better feel, lets me know when I don't strike the ball well). Haven't measured all clubs in inches-only, but I'm betting that Ping and Mac have different "standard" lengths.

Now hit the Macs exclusively, still working on consistent ball-striking and now believe, without a doubt, that my equipment is NOT the problem with my game.

Good luck...btw, finding used clubs with non-std lie/length combinations can be frustrating, eBay was the best source for me.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I am 6ft 4" started playing golf about 18 months ago, after reading this thread I got custom fitted  clubs that were 1 inch longer and 4° upright but

I still felt that the were too short.

I live in Germany and recently came across Made To Measure Golf. After trying a much longer club I immediatley ordered some.

My new clubs allow me to stand more upright which feels great and I can turn my body much easier than before.

Im hittting it at least 1 1/2 clubs further.

Here is the video that I found which made me curious to try it. Im glad that I did.

Captain Golf

• 1 month later...
I am 6 foot 7. Clubs are +3 and 3 degrees upright. The main reason for the lengthening is due to the relative shortness of my arms. (hence my short basketball career)

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by cliffj

I am 6 foot 7. Clubs are +3 and 3 degrees upright. The main reason for the lengthening is due to the relative shortness of my arms. (hence my short basketball career)

Only 6' 2" but I have longish arms so I use pretty much a modern standard setup. If I use older irons (like older than ~ 2004) I need to add an inch or more.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

My pings were +1 inch, 2.5* upright. My Ci'11's are +.5 inch, and 2 degrees upright. The Ci11's are longer stock than my pings though, so that makes up the other 1/2 inch.

Edit: I'm 6'4".

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

• 2 weeks later...

I feel pretty short now, lol.  I am 6'1" with a 37" wrist to floor.  I am extending my irons an inch (39" 5 iron) and pretty pumped about it.  Got fit to .75" longer, but I thought I go 1" and choke down a little if I needed to.

From what I understand, wrist to floor measurement is a lot more important that height, although taller usually equals longer arms also.  Wrist to floor, although not more important than a true dynamic fit, is important because it dictates your reach.  If your arms are short, you'll have to bend more, and vice versa.  That's why you can have a guy like Ernie Els who I believe plays close to standard length because he also has longer arms.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Only 6' 2" but I have longish arms so I use pretty much a modern standard setup. If I use older irons (like older than ~ 2004) I need to add an inch or more.

You bring up a very good point here.  Everyone keeps talking about "inch over std" when come on, we all know the only standard in golf is that there are no standards!!!  manufacturers aren't just jacking up lofts, they are often adding length to clubs too.  in my opinion the length of the club doesn't matter all that much, i'm more interested in the lie angle.  If you lengthen or shorten any given club you simply adjust your setup position, however if you don't have the lie angle adjusted appropriately, then there are issues.  I broke one of my wedges a co uple of weeks ago and hve been gaming my GF's wedge in it's place until I get around to fixing mine.  it's 2.5 inches shorter than my wedge but I have no problems with it.

Note: This thread is 1678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!