IGNORED

What a day on the course!….long & mild rant

Stacey_E
Note: This thread is 5536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yesterday was the first day I’ve been able to golf in a month. In three hours I made it count! First I went to the range at 2:30 and hit a large bucket of balls with some irons I’ve been wanting to demo, a used set of cherry MX-23s. At the end of the bucket, about an hour later, the course was empty except for 2 twosomes on the back. The temp was a very chilly 42 degrees and it was sunny and very light wind. I knew it would be little slow, even by myself because the rain, snow and cold had left the course with cart path only conditions. But off I went to play 9 anyway.

I decided ahead of time I’d play the first few holes of the front nine by the rules, and in the more secluded later holes, hit some practice shots with the irons. I just wanted to get a feel for distances, play out of the rough, how they chipped into greens, the works. On the last couple of holes I decided I try out some of the Stan Utley bunker technique I had been reading on the web. In the greenside bunkers of 8 & 9 I probably hit a total of 10 shots. Every single one got up and out and I think only one wasn’t on the green. But this shot did end up on the fringe and I was at least 25 paces from that fringe (#8) at the time.

As the sun got lower and the temps dropped I decided I’d hit my drive and approach on #9, but just hit some more bunker shots when I got to the green. There was no one else on the front 9 and the couple of groups on the back were coming off. I had more good luck with the bunker shots. I picked up my balls, took great care to get everything out of the cart and headed home.

So in 3 hours I hit a large bucket of balls and demoed some irons. I also grooved a more upright backswing, my current swing project. I then played 5 holes by the rules and demoed the irons on some real course conditions. And I still had time to try out and succeed with a new bunker technique.

I get my clubs out to clean them today and my heart sank. NO PUTTER. First thought? “You dumb ass!”. Second thought? Call the clubhouse! Of course no one had turned one in, but with light snow and mid 30s temps today there had only been one guy out. The lady at the clubhouse, whom I know well, said she would have one of the guys go check the green at #9. I was sure I had gotten it out of the bag there, out of habit, even though I was only going to practice bunker shots. She said the guys were eating lunch right now, but she’d send one out afterwards. I’m not real sure I should have said anything, because I’m not completely convinced that had one of them found it they would have brought it back. That’s no knock on course workers, I’m just being realistic. If I’m making minimum wage like they do at that course, I’m not sure I’d look a gift horse in the mouth either. But truly, it may not have been there. Either way, they came back reporting they hadn’t found it.

Then it occurred to me, that if I didn’t putt on #9, then maybe I left it on #8 and never realized it when I got out at #9. So I went to the course. In the snow I walked the 450 or so yards back to the #8 green looking all along the way.

Long story short…..no putter. I am soooo bummed. I got that thing for Christmas and had only played 27 holes with it. I’m still sick as I type this. I can blame no one but myself. I’ve left behind wedges before, but not in long a while. I’ve always gotten them back and only left the course without them a couple times. I want to get a little pissed at whoever found it. It could have been a course worker. It could have been a player, although I don’t think anyone else was even on the front when I left about 15 minutes before closing. But ultimately, I have no one to blame but myself. I suppose there is a chance that someone strayed through and brought it in after the clubhouse was closed. I have picked up a wedge before and honestly forgot to turn it in until my next time at the course. Talk about hoping against hope! I suppose there’s a one-in-a-blue million chance it will come home.

Rant over.

Whenever i take my putter out of my bag, i take the headcover off and throw it on the ground right next to my bag. This way if i forget the putter, i can look at the headcover and know i left it behind.

Btw, i hope someone returns your putter, i cant imagine losing my 3 wood that i got for xmas.

Sorry to hear that, man. That's happened to before a while ago with my sand wedge. It makes me feel like the biggest moron on the planet Earth. And of course nobody turned my wedge in either. Hope you find your putter, and good luck.

Sorry to hear about your lose. I got a putter for christmas too and would cry if i lost it so soon.

It's the one in my sig (for now) a Nike Unitized. It was no great monitary loss, but it had more then a little sentimental value, considering who I got it from and under what circumstances. The good thing, I suppose, is I hadn't really bonded with it or grooved it yet. I don't believe in many weirdo cosmic theories and such. But when it comes to equipment, I do think mojo is a factor. I have to wonder if my old putter, that I carried for three years and never considered replacing, wasn't lying there in my car trunk putting a hex on me to loose my new putter?

Yeah I was loving that story right up to the point where you said you lost your putter. I couldn't think of a better way to spend 3 hours right now. I like to go to my course later on a weekend evening right before the sun goes down and do the same thing for about an hour or two.

Here's hoping your putter finds its way back in your bag...good luck!
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

My condolences. Not all hope is lost. Give it 72hours.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

You never know. I left a sand wedge somewhere on a course I was playing out of town last year. Left my name/address at the clubhouse. Called a few times over the course of a couple of weeks, no luck. Then, out of the blue, it showed up at a course in my area (a fitting rep had been doing a demo day at that course and someone, knowing he was on his way up here, asked him to bring it up, the person in the shop at the course he came to up here recognized my name, and I had my wedge back). Never thought I'd see it again. Of course, six weeks later I ordered new clubs, so all the worry was pointless.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Wow, that's tough. I really don't have a system that would help you with losing your putter; That always seems to be the club in my hand when I walk off a green, so it's not as susceptible to loss. However, when I do have my putter out by itself, I will put the putter cover in my pocket; That is a reminder that I need my putter to go with it... :)

Here is what I do for my other clubs though, and I haven't lost a club in ten years because of it:

If I have a wedge, or whatever with me when I reach the green, I will throw my putter cover on teh ground near my wedge; That way I will look for my putter cover when I leave the green, and then see my wedge too....

If I''m playing and using carts - I always leave my clubs between the flag and the cart; That way if I forget it, maybe one of my playing partners will remember it...

Hope it turns up....

--
Driver: R7 460 9.5 Stiff Shaft
Fairway Woods: Steelhead 3 and 5 Stiff Shaft
Irons: :: R7 CGB Stiff Shaft Steel
Wedges: Vokey 56 / 52 Stiff ShaftPutter: Oddysey White HotBag: R7 Stand bagRangeFinder: (Nikon) LR550Ball Prefer Pro-V1, but usually play what you just lostâ¦..

Yeah like I said I've never lost a club. I've left them behind but that has been years. I have a set routine that works quite well. But when I broke my routine to hit those practice bunker shots, I completely flaked on the putter. That is the one club you should never lose, because like you said, it's always the one in your hand when you leave the green. My biggest fault was my over confidence. I used to always do a club count on the last hole. As I learned a technique to keep up with my clubs, I dropped the club count routine. Again another stupid move on my part.

Note: This thread is 5536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!