IGNORED

Anyone know alot about the PGTAA ?

GPHSGolfer
Note: This thread is 1123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was just curious if there were any PGTAA Masters Teachers here or people knowledgeable about the organization. I came upon it and it seems like a pretty cool way to be accredited as a Professional golf teacher. How does having a PGTAA certificate stack up to having a PGA teaching one.

Thanks for any information!

Luke

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 905T
Hybrid: Titleist 585H Hybrid
Irons: Nike Pro Combo 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56*, 60* Titleist Vokey 52*Putter: Odyssey 6660 Ball: Titleist ProV1

Never heard of the PGTAA. That may tell you something? Or not. Don't know what or how it stacks up to be a Class A PGA pros.

You have a link on it or something?

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Never heard of the PGTAA. That may tell you something? Or not. Don't know what or how it stacks up to be a Class A PGA pros.

I have never heard of it either (not that I necessarily would have), but here's the link I could find:

http://www.pgtaa.com/

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I was just curious if there were any PGTAA Masters Teachers here or people knowledgeable about the organization. I came upon it and it seems like a pretty cool way to be accredited as a Professional golf teacher. How does having a PGTAA certificate stack up to having a PGA teaching one.

PGTAA is the poor man's PGA. As far as credibility, they have just about none. Basically the PGTAA is an "easy way out" for aspiring pros that want to teach but can't really play or don't have years to commit to the PGA progam and work for a PGA pro. That doesn't mean that a PGTAA pro isn't a good teacher, but you simply won't find any PGTAA pros at any reputable golf club. They end up teaching at driving ranges and low-end muni tracks.

To enter the PGA program you have to pass a playing ability test on a predetermined date. 36 holes in one day from roughly 6300 yards, easy pins. You have to shoot no more than 15 shots over the course rating. So, given a rating of 70, that means you have to shoot 77-77 to make it. To be a Class A PGA pro the requirements are much more demanding, including several years of apprenticeship. The PGTAA playing ability requirements are much more lax. They require 4 previously attested score cards (within 90 days) of 83 or less on a par 72 course. There are plenty of good teachers out there, and some PGTAA pros are very good. But to have real credibility as a teacher or coach the PGA is the way to go. Let's face it, would you really want to take a lesson from someone who theoretically can't break 80? I want to be a doctor, but I'm not smart enough to pass the MCAT. Good thing there isn't a "National Medical Practitioner's Association" for the people that don't quite make the cut. That would be ugly... Hope I'm not killing a dream or anything! If you really want to teach golf, you could start as a PGTAA pro, but should aspire and work towards your PGA apprenticeship.

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

PS - I know a fw people that went though the PGTAA program. They teach at a driving range for $20/hour. It is what it is.

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

• 6 years later...

The PGA has it's place in golf. However the instructional part of the PGA course is only 10 percent. The rest is how to run a pro shop, marketing, tournament organization, agronomy, club fitting and repair, golf cart things. In other words how to run a full facility including driving range and pro shop operations.  The PGTAA concentrates on instruction only and has a player ability test that is more reasonable and realistic. The curriculum is based on learning how to teach, knowing how to teach, and understanding the faults and cures of individual swings, not a (one swing fits all) idea that the PGA thinks is the whole answer for everyone. If you want to run a golf facility and spend very little time as an instructor ( maybe 10 percent), then the PGA is the way to go. If you want a fast track to becoming a qualified (full time) highly respected instructor that is focused on a life long career, then the PGTAA is the best and most affordable option.

I'm a little skeptical that you can learn enough to be a competent teacher with either a home-study course or a 5-day On-Site course of instruction.  I certainly wouldn't claim that there are no good instructors who have started through the PGTAA program, but the program itself seems a little light to me.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I'm a little skeptical that you can learn enough to be a competent teacher with either a home-study course or a 5-day On-Site course of instruction.  I certainly wouldn't claim that there are no good instructors who have started through the PGTAA program, but the program itself seems a little light to me.

That's putting it lightly, but yeah… I would tend to agree.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 5 years later...

I’m 51 and will retire in a few months. Looking to be an instructor but not interested in running a golf course. Just interested in teaching. I have an 8 handicap. I know plenty of the game but I’m interested in the method of teaching and learning the latest techniques to teach. If the PGTAA offers this I believe this is the way to go. 

There are so many new people getting into the game. What do they care if it’s a PGA certification or PGTAA one. They don’t even know a good grip. 

I think teaching is about wanting your students to succeed at whatever level they desire to achieve. If they are having fun and success what does it matter which certification the instructor has. 

26 minutes ago, Golfergui said:

I think teaching is about wanting your students to succeed at whatever level they desire to achieve. If they are having fun and success what does it matter which certification the instructor has. 

I agree the success & enjoyment are important but I do believe the certification matters.  I do not know much about PGTTA and it may be fine but it could be a little like the difference between am “MD” and a “PA”.  Both have training and likely know more than I do about medical issues but the “MD” will have more knowledge and training and if I have a choice I’ll take the MD.  

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

29 minutes ago, Golfergui said:

There are so many new people getting into the game. What do they care if it’s a PGA certification or PGTAA one. They don’t even know a good grip. 

I would never suggest that the PGA of America is the only pathway to become an instructor, but it could be a big part of getting your first paying job as an instructor.  Much like a college degrees, the degree may not provide the exact training you will use in a particular job, but the degree might be absolutely essential in getting the job in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Golfergui said:

I’m 51 and will retire in a few months. Looking to be an instructor but not interested in running a golf course. Just interested in teaching. I have an 8 handicap. I know plenty of the game but I’m interested in the method of teaching and learning the latest techniques to teach. If the PGTAA offers this I believe this is the way to go.

You're not really going to "learn" the "method of teaching" and "the latest techniques" from any one group. Your best option is to spend a few hundred hours looking around online, visiting with some instructors, taking some classes or certifications, asking questions, observing lessons, etc.

Put in the sweat equity. There's no such thing as a one-and-done type class where you just learn everything you need.

Some will, particularly if they're looking to hire you or allow you to teach at their facility.

Some golfers will specifically seek out a PGA instructor.

Teaching is about a lot more than that, but those are factors, I agree.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!