IGNORED

"Tour Tempo" by John Novosel

iacas
Note: This thread is 2804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Haven't read the book but the premise that most amateurs swing too slow really surprised me. Really.

The basic premise of this concept is not so much regarding the over all "speed" of the swing, but focuses on the ratio between the take away to the top and the downswing to impact.

There are a number of MP3 click tracks that produce a 3:1 ratio. SubPar

I am aware that tempo is one of the most important things in a swing. I read a few threads here about "Tour Tempo" and decided to give it a try. Being a drummer I thought it was a natural thing to use to try to help me with my tempo.

The book assumes, though, that the reader has a slower tempo than the pros. I have a very short back swing. My swing is usually just past 3/4 most of the time. It works, but because of this, I guess my tempo is a bit fast. Even the 21/7 beat is quick for me. I take the club back at what I feel is my normal pace and I feel like I want to start my downswing before the second beep. I did not have a good time at the range as you can probably tell. Dont even get me started on the 24/8. It felt like and eternity. I took the club back at my normal pace and I was in John Daly territory when I heard the second beep.

I became too focused on trying to slow everything down so that I could match up with the beats that it just threw everything off. I had no rhythm because my back swing was so slow and then I felt I had to rush the downswing to match the third beat.

has anyone else with a fast tempo had success with "Tour Tempo"?

I'm confused, I thought it would be harder to speed up a back swing then slow it down. To each his own I guess.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

agreed. the point is getting you on tempo ... if you're too fast that's just as bad as too slow.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

I saw a range session on tv with vijay and he had a tempo device in his ear however he said he used to count one in the back swing and two in the downswing, a steady, one, two. Then he stated he switched to saying "Seventeen, Eighteen" to further slow his tempo, thought it was interesting and helped me keep on pace as well, just one more thing to remember before we take our shots LOL

DRIVER: R7 460 Draw - 10.5* R Flex 55g
WOODS Taylormade R11 15* , Big Bertha 4w
HYBRID Taylormade Burner Rescue 19*, Taylormade R11 5 Hybrid
IRONS Mizuno Mx-200 4-GW WEDGES CG14 56* PUTTER Sabertooth 34"

i guess with a shorter back swing, it could be difficult to get the ratio correct, but shouldn't be impossible. In fact, I've seen people have to shorten their back swing to get the timing. You really don't have to use only 21/7 or 24/8 or the ones in the book, though. You just have to do a 3/1 ratio, i.e. 18/6, 15/5. I don't know if there are any sound bites that fast, though.

I played for the first time since practicing my tempo with the micro player at 24/9. Wow, best ball striking day I ever had. I was hitting the ball further with every club...which was frustrating when I kept missing on the high side of the greens. But I am extremely happy with the results so far. Now if I could only get my short game back on the rails.

So count me as a believer in this system.
My Tools:

Taylor Made Burner Driver
F60 3 & 5 Wood
Cleveland Halo 3i Hybrid Mizuno MP57 irons 4-PW Cleveland 52 & 56 Degree Wedges Srixon ZURS Ball

I played Saturday for the first time after practicing several sessions with the tempo tunes. I shot 42-47, which is about my scoring; the 47 was the result of poor putting however, a result of poor iron placement on the greens (3, 3-putt greens on the back).

My observations are thus on the Tour Tempo concept:
~ You should have a pretty good idea of a good swing;
~ It helps to have a swing that is on plane or near there (I have a small over the top "hitch);"
~ Being on tempo works great if you're somewhere in the ballpark on the first two.

I struck the ball well, however it was difficult to get actual yardages (2+ inches of rain Thur/Fri plugged a lot of shots; very little roll Saturday).

All in all my swing felt better, my ball striking was better and the 86 bazillion swing thoughts went away because all I kept humming in my head was the beat of the swing tempo tunes. That in itself was a plus.

I'm anxious to keep progressing, but like I said: good swing mechanics is fundemental to good swing tempo ... etc., etc., like everything in golf. All in all I'm pleased with my first results.
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

All in all my swing felt better, my ball striking was better and the 86 bazillion swing thoughts went away because all I kept humming in my head was the beat of the swing tempo tunes. That in itself was a plus.

Bingo. If nothing else, it's nice to rid yourself of all those thoughts that mess things up when you are playing. I was driving myself crazy, but concentrating only on tempo really, really felt nice.

My Tools:

Taylor Made Burner Driver
F60 3 & 5 Wood
Cleveland Halo 3i Hybrid Mizuno MP57 irons 4-PW Cleveland 52 & 56 Degree Wedges Srixon ZURS Ball

I am aware that tempo is one of the most important things in a swing. I read a few threads here about "Tour Tempo" and decided to give it a try. Being a drummer I thought it was a natural thing to use to try to help me with my tempo.

Practice without hitting balls first. I had trouble at the range with it. hitting balls and listening was too much for me. I did notice an improvement very quickly. I started taking lessons and quit using while in the lessons. The cool thing is that my instructor is John Rhodes he taught the author some of the drills he explains in the book.

In the bag:
MX-100 Irons
Wedges 54*
60* SV Tour Wedge
putter 3-Wood, 5-wood 10.5* driverLimbo Ball

Well ... the beat goes on ... poor pun, I know.

I played again last night, now the 3rd round after reading/viewing and practicing with Novosel's tempo concepts. I shot 43 but could have been better. I had on 3-putt double (DAMMIT) and a pull hook OB double; but the other 7 holes were pretty solid. A chip here, one less putt there, I'm 42, 41 or maybe 40 even!!

But the key is I'm driving it straight, hitting my irons straight and my swing FEELS good. I'm confident now. Damm, the game is different from the short grass. I'm not used to all that open space - no trees, rocks, fescue ... HAHAHAHA

My own little tempo "trick": On the tapes, John gives tempo tunes in the form of "hit .... set, through." But the concept is 3:1 ratio, so in my mind, I'm playing: "Swing, get set, through." That way, even if my tempo speeds up a little or slows down a little I'm "singing" that 3:1 "swing, get, set, through" tempo on all swings. Now if I could putt better!!!
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

Well ... the beat goes on ... poor pun, I know.

Glad to hear you're improving!

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I just got the book and the CD - even before I got them, I started thinking about picking up the pace of my backswing on my driver with great results - its pretty amazing how the pace of your backswing translates into more club head speed effortlessly -

quick question for those of you who have used this system to improve your game - I have an old friend coming to visit tomorrow for 3 days of solid golf. Do you think it would be productive to do some of the drills tonight in my back yard (with no ball) with the CD tracks... or should I wait until he is gone at the end of this week? I just don't want to go out and pull a Luke Skywalker, confronting Vader before my training was done
In the bag:
Driver - FT-9 10* Stock Stiff Fujikura
3Wood - X 3W Stock Stiff Callaway Graphite Shaft
Hybrids - X Hybrids 21*, 24*, 27* uniflex steel shaft
Irons - X-22 irons 6-PW uniflex steel shaftWedges - X Forged Chrome Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Tour ix or TP...

I got the book after work on a Thursday night. I read it and swung a few times in the backyard in the pitch dark. I wanted to try a few swings on Friday, but it rained all day and into the night. I did manage to put the headphones on and swing a few clubs in the garage. We had a 7:20 tee time Saturday morning and I played the 27/9 tunes all the way to the course (20 minute drive). I shot 42-47 on Saturday; the 47 a result of poor course managment and horendous putting. But my ball striking was much, much improved. Slice - gone; fat iron shots - gone. Sixty bazillion swing thoughts - gone.

Read the book, try some drills (you're a 17 I'm a 16), you'll get it, you will. Keep the swing tones in your head somehow (I substituted a 3:1 "tune" swing, get, set, through) to keep me on pace. Try it, yes. IMHO ...
I make all my own clubs:

Do you think it would be productive to do some of the drills tonight in my back yard (with no ball) with the CD tracks...

Yes. Also, if you have an MP3 player you can take to the course, take practice swings with the tempo playing you ear before you play. If not, make an audio CD of the track you choose and play it in your car CD player on the way to the course. I don't know about most people, but once I get it in my head I can "replay" it from memory all day.

A few minutes with it in the morning helps set your tempo clock in your head. A good one for most people is the 27/9. SubPar

What I loved about this whole topic is that, no one, I mean No One ever came close to specifically talking about this whole subject before. Even Hank Haney, David Leadbetter, et al, have only skimmed the surface of this subject. This however is scientific evidence of a Tempo pattern.
It was probably the single most piece of golf swing advice that I ever came across that SERIOUSLY changed my game and handicap.

Steve

R7 460 10.5 Degrees
Sasquatch 15 & 17 Degrees
MP60's 3-PW
T-Zoid Comp EZ Wedges 52 & 56
CG10 60 Degrees Tour Action Reg.588 64 Degrees White Hot #4 E6+ Balls

What I loved about this whole topic is that, no one, I mean No One ever came close to specifically talking about this whole subject before. Even Hank Haney, David Leadbetter, et al, have only skimmed the surface of this subject. This however is scientific evidence of a Tempo pattern.

I have an engineering background, therefore I am quite "analytically anal" about details, concepts and how things work. I

cannot echo Steve's sentiments any louder. I've only had this book one week; I've only applied the "science" of this method on three rounds, but my confidence, my swing and my ball striking has felt like a dramatic shift from ... keep your head down, flex your right knee, keep your wrist flat, left elbow in, right arm straight, blah, blah, blah ... ad nauseum .... If you have a decent swing, if your clubhead is 90% on plane, on-line and if you understand the fundementals of placing the clubhead to the ball's center, this book - its methodology - will change your game forever . I am confident of that in one week.
I make all my own clubs:

I am looking to buy this book... has anyone but the download version from the Tour Tempo website? If so, do you still get the book, cause they sort of only talk about getting the audio/video files?

Note: This thread is 2804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!