IGNORED

Flat Left Wrist at the top of Backswing: Really Necessary???

verse214
Note: This thread is 3366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My own experience. The position of the left wrist at the top (flat, cupped or bowed) affects the swing plane. In my case, if I cup my left wrist at the top I get out of plane and in the the downswing the club goes outside-in and I pull the ball. If I have a flat left wrist at the top (like the great majority of pro's) my club stays on plane and I hit the ball straight. I suggest you film your swing. Maybe for you a cupped wrist puts your club on plane.

Ditto. My wrist is flat for the most part, definitely not big cupped like couples. Couples sets up waaaay left too. Most aren't perfectly flat like I stated, it will have a very slight bend... Ben Hogans did too... It was not big cupped like someone else posted... He cupped some to stop hooks..This one is out of his book....in the end to each his own I guess. Mine is flat like this with very slight maybe..

Flat left wrist here..Seems to help my swing plane. I'll have to try a cupped wrist next time I go to the range. I'll report back as to what happened.............like you guys really care.. :-$

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This tip helped me...

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

From what I've heard and seen, it's debatable.  So, to me, that means it's not an absolute nor a fundamental.  However, some teachers advocate a flat wrist for an ideal A4 top of backswing position and a bowed or cupped wrist is just a compensation for another swing flaw.  I think the fundamental to worry about is a flat or slightly bowed left wrist at A7 impact.

Robert Spann

:ping: :adidas: :adams: :leupold: :nike: :srixon: :nickent:

Flat left wrist here..Seems to help my swing plane. I'll have to try a cupped wrist next time I go to the range. I'll report back as to what happened.............like you guys really care..

Went to the range tonight, but I forgot all about cupping my wrist...I'll do it next time.. :-P

Great update! Thanks for the insight!

Any time... :-D

So, tonight I did try it. I was hitting my 19* 3H, and thought about using a higher lofted club. Frankly, I was a tad hesitant to try it, for fear I might hit a glancing shot or something. Anywho, I made 1 practice swing with my wrist cupped, then stood over the ball, and made sure my wrist was in fact very cupped, I almost stopped before the downswing, but I thought ..what the heck, lett'r rip, I actually hit a very straight shot, fairly low, and only about 175 yds as far as I could tell. I didn't try it a second time. I'll stick with my flat wrist.

From what I've heard and seen, it's debatable.  So, to me, that means it's not an absolute nor a fundamental.  However, some teachers advocate a flat wrist for an ideal A4 top of backswing position and a bowed or cupped wrist is just a compensation for another swing flaw.  I think the fundamental to worry about is a flat or slightly bowed left wrist at A7 impact.

Correct the orientation of the left wrist isn't a fundamental or commonality of good golfers. There are PGA Tour players that are cupped, flat and bowed.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Bowed (with the grip in the fingers) tends to be better than cupped from my experience.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 3366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!