IGNORED

The Mike Austin Method

LongballGer
Note: This thread is 3649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Every time someone posts hooey like this, I think of Professor Harold Hill in The Music Man with his "think" method.

Trouble with a capital "T" and that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool soon tour P ro??

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow! I just spent 22 minutes waiting for something remotely lucid and never heard it. I think I caught a couple of grains of substance here and there but they were overwhelmed by the ramble.

Should have just finished the book I was reading.

Wow! I just spent 22 minutes waiting for something remotely lucid and never heard it. I think I caught a couple of grains of substance here and there but they were overwhelmed by the ramble.

I watched for a minute wondering ...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Watching that entire thing might make you forget how to read. I was lucky that I stopped after a minute or two because I've got class in the morning...

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

The freeze frame says swing speed for Mike Austin Powers at 78 was still 130 MPH.-I call :poo: on that.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Trouble with a capital "T" and that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool soon tour Pro??

AND…if you replace the P with the T you get Tool .

Trippy.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The freeze frame says swing speed for Mike Austin Powers at 78 was still 130 MPH.-I call on that.

Well, technically it does say "around" 130.  So as long as his swing speed is at least 66, and we're rounding to the nearest 130 ... then it's accurate. :-P

By the way ... that video was just some clown sitting on his couch talking about "modeling" for 30 minutes with no golf-related photos or videos at all.  Worse yet, no beautiful models either!!

Well, technically it does say "around" 130.  So as long as his swing speed is at least 66, and we're rounding to the nearest 130 ... then it's accurate.

You engineers and your funny math...

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

You engineers and your funny math...

It's with in acceptable tolerance :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

There's a 7 minute Youtube video from 1960 of Austin in a skeleton outfit, explaining his swing.

The funny thing is that he incorporates much of the same ideas as the accepted wisdom on this forum.  Things like extending the right leg during the backswing, getting the left shoulder under the chin, sliding the hips forward on the downswing, etc. Frankly, I heard nothing controversial, although it was hard not to stare at his Halloween costume.

Too bad his original ideas have been smothered under his followers' misinterpretations, which have led to ridicule by many here, instead of thoughtful discussion. It might be advantageous to go to the source, then have a discussion about its merits.

When in doubt ... round up!!

I did my entire junior year in engineering school without a calculator.  I just rounded everything to make the math simple. Now granted, calculators were not cheap in those days ('80/'81), so it wasn't just me being lazy.

There's a 7 minute Youtube video from 1960 of Austin in a skeleton outfit, explaining his swing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqpU2D-yrT8

The funny thing is that he incorporates much of the same ideas as the accepted wisdom on this forum.  Things like extending the right leg during the backswing, getting the left shoulder under the chin, sliding the hips forward on the downswing, etc. Frankly, I heard nothing controversial, although it was hard not to stare at his Halloween costume.

Too bad his original ideas have been smothered under his followers' misinterpretations, which have led to ridicule by many here, instead of thoughtful discussion. It might be advantageous to go to the source, then have a discussion about its merits.

It is the same to some extent with Ben Hogan.  We've all read his book and note that he describes how things worked and felt for him.  But some people add the "secret" stuff or imply that what worked for him is universal for all body types when Hogan really doesn't state that specifically.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqpU2D-yrT8

The video are very interesting, and it led me to conclude as in the post that started this entire controversy again. Also, anyone other than Mike Austin wearing that outfit would be laughed off the course! :-D

http://thesandtrap.com/t/70971/mike-austin#post_944258

@soon_tourpro has some really interesting videos of people he trained to have pretty decent swings. His own swing looks a little OTT.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

You're probably right.

Yes, I'd love to have an actual discussion. But @soon_tourpro is unwilling to actually engage in discussion, unfortunately. :-(

I'll merge this thread with another Mike Austin thread, and consider this an open invitation to anyone well versed in Mike Austin's "swing" or method to begin an actual discussion.

Photos of slide rules and calculators are done. C'mon guys.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have been an rampage..seeking all austinology I can find. I have been in contact with a pro from Sri Lanka that knew mike..and mike told him the secret,,,,here is my findings Im a big fan of Mr. Austin and for his time he was correct. Now Imagine a swing where we stretch first then from impact through we coil up. What Mr. Austin did not know are the way in which we use the body due to New medical findings in the 80s and 90s. Now I keep my feet and calfs loaded the calfs LOAD THE HIP SOCKET. Now I dont feel a remendous amount of load on either one I do feel tremendous load in my Calfs. The reason is like I described the Pelvis it Torques front to back and twist if you will. Where ever the moving hands and arms are is where the weight is so they are in motion therefore the weight is always moving. This is a concept far beyond Mr. Austins however if it were not for Mr. Austin opening our eyes to the posabilities then I would have never gotten here. ID for a reason in that think past what many many many GREAT TEACHERS gave us a great foundation to start from and think like this. HOW CAN WE IMPROVE ON THIS. That is the thinking you need to have. It all can be improved on it must. Also I stated that the buttocks cheeks FOLLOW or move in time with the BACK OF ELBOWS Automatically. In the past I have said our round muscle on the bottom is in fact the CG control center. Hence CENTER and it is round. I bring all my BALANCE MOTION AND MASS INTO THAT CENTER AND LEAVE IT THERE I learned that gathering the 3 in one spot and holding them allowed me to relax in all other areas therefore have total ability to be aware of when and where to FIRE into a COIL on the other side of the DIVOT and Motion.Also showed the one and only line we must worry about and that sits between the TOE LINE AND TARGET LINE if you stay balanced to that then you will learnt that it is the sum of the two divided by their halfs that gives you that location. NOWBEND THAT LINE IN AN ARC. TRACK UP AND THE LINESITS DEAD UNDER THE ELBOWS EVERYTIME. AS FOR POSTURE I FIND ONE THAT WILL NOT LOAD MY HIPS ONLY MY FEET AND HANDS AND BEING DISCONNECTED FROM THE START ALLOWS ME TO GET CONNECTED AT SOME POINT AND EITHER STAY THERE OR EXTEND FROM THERE. MOST PEOPLE GET CONNECTED ONLY TO GET UNCONNECTED COMING BACK ITS THE EQUAL AND OPPOSITE. AGAIN I WATCHED MOE A LOT AND ASKED WHY SO DISCONNECTED THEN EVERYONE ELSE. THEN I GOT IT HOW CAN AN ELBOW DROP IN IF ITS ALREADY IN. IM NOT SAYING IT HAS TOO BUT AT THE TIME THAT WAS THE POPULAR THINKING. MOE GOT OUTSIDE THE BOX AND THOUGH MORE LOGICAL THEN MOST. So I went from loading a hip joint to loading my right shoulders joint and unload. Two things it did 1 it fired energy into the head and shaft and two there is no chance of me getting hurt and no weight shift required in the lower body only turn and fire my feet always feel 50/50 my weight feels leaning forward over my lower pelvisnot upper. so i was now out over the divot and strike and not angled back and to the right like i used too. Staying out and over vs. back and behind is a great topic and one in golf often spoke of BUT they cannot get there by LOADING the right leg or hip to the right of the ball MINE TRAVELS TO THE CENTER OF THE BALL keeps my out and over and pins me more centered and often times feels very LEFT becuase the right leg is moving or going left to my cente. Know my cheeks are the ones controling that and the round muscle as well it can hold me there very well and move me in the opposite direction the arms and hands are firing past medown and through the ball. best way i can put it again when we walk we always stretch the round muscle on the back bottom of us its getting pulled in two directions at once and if you stop and understand it it is our true CENTER and for a reason. It connects to so many great muscles and big ones you cannot imagine. So the term playing out our rear is not a joke if you take the time to simply try and understand how we can apply it to what we are doing. Where and how it points sets the AXIS and it must MOVE and not be still anoother key you will find. if it fires then guess what other things have to fire if it just moves from side to side then we can fire the hands and arms very fast and without losing control of ourselves. I said Ted Williams said the key to hitting was speed and he was right.. I found how and where the speed can come from...Again that was me at most it was 40 percent thats all anyone realy needs its BALANCED at 50 percent and less any harder and things go in every direction. This is what he relayed to me after I translated his text from his native tongue to English.,hope it helps Swing on my friends..swing on

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

Lol...he said "buttocks cheeks"..

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I have been an rampage..seeking all austinology I can find. I have been in contact with a pro from Sri

Lanka that knew mike..and mike told him the secret,,,,here is my findings

Im a big fan of Mr. Austin and for his time he was correct. Now Imagine a swing where we stretch first then from impact through we coil up. What Mr. Austin did not know are the way in which we use the body due to New medical findings in the 80s and 90s. Now I keep my feet and calfs loaded the calfs LOAD THE HIP SOCKET. Now I dont feel a remendous amount of load on either one I do feel tremendous load in my Calfs. The reason is like I described the Pelvis it Torques front to back and twist if you will. Where ever the moving hands and arms are is where the weight is so they are in motion therefore the weight is always moving. This is a concept far beyond Mr. Austins however if it were not for Mr. Austin opening our eyes to the posabilities then I would have never gotten here.

ID for a reason in that think past what many many many GREAT TEACHERS gave us a great foundation to start from and think like this. HOW CAN WE IMPROVE ON THIS. That is the thinking you need to have. It all can be improved on it must. Also I stated that the buttocks cheeks FOLLOW or move in time with the BACK OF ELBOWS Automatically. In the past I have said our round muscle on the bottom is in fact the CG control center. Hence CENTER and it is round. I bring all my BALANCE MOTION AND MASS INTO THAT CENTER AND LEAVE IT THERE I learned that gathering the 3 in one spot and holding them allowed me to relax in all other areas therefore have total ability to be aware of when and where to FIRE into a COIL on the other side of the DIVOT and Motion.Also showed the one and only line we must worry about and that sits between the TOE LINE AND TARGET LINE if you stay balanced to that then you will learnt that it is the sum of the two divided by their halfs that gives you that location. NOWBEND THAT LINE IN AN ARC. TRACK UP AND THE LINESITS DEAD UNDER THE ELBOWS EVERYTIME. AS FOR POSTURE I FIND ONE THAT WILL NOT LOAD MY HIPS ONLY MY FEET AND HANDS AND BEING DISCONNECTED FROM THE START ALLOWS ME TO GET CONNECTED AT SOME POINT AND EITHER STAY THERE OR EXTEND FROM THERE. MOST PEOPLE GET CONNECTED ONLY TO GET UNCONNECTED COMING BACK ITS THE EQUAL AND OPPOSITE. AGAIN I WATCHED MOE A LOT AND ASKED WHY SO DISCONNECTED THEN EVERYONE ELSE. THEN I GOT IT HOW CAN AN ELBOW DROP IN IF ITS ALREADY IN. IM NOT SAYING IT HAS TOO BUT AT THE TIME THAT WAS THE POPULAR THINKING. MOE GOT OUTSIDE THE BOX AND THOUGH MORE LOGICAL THEN MOST.

So I went from loading a hip joint to loading my right shoulders joint and unload. Two things it did 1 it fired energy into the head and shaft and two there is no chance of me getting hurt and no weight shift required in the lower body only turn and fire my feet always feel 50/50 my weight feels leaning forward over my lower pelvisnot upper. so i was now out over the divot and strike and not angled back and to the right like i used too. Staying out and over vs. back and behind is a great topic and one in golf often spoke of BUT they cannot get there by LOADING the right leg or hip to the right of the ball MINE TRAVELS TO THE CENTER OF THE BALL keeps my out and over and pins me more centered and often times feels very LEFT becuase the right leg is moving or going left to my cente. Know my cheeks are the ones controling that and the round muscle as well it can hold me there very well and move me in the opposite direction the arms and hands are firing past medown and through the ball.

best way i can put it again when we walk we always stretch the round muscle on the back bottom of us its getting pulled in two directions at once and if you stop and understand it it is our true CENTER and for a reason. It connects to so many great muscles and big ones you cannot imagine. So the term playing out our rear is not a joke if you take the time to simply try and understand how we can apply it to what we are doing. Where and how it points sets the AXIS and it must MOVE and not be still anoother key you will find. if it fires then guess what other things have to fire if it just moves from side to side then we can fire the hands and arms very fast and without losing control of ourselves.

I said Ted Williams said the key to hitting was speed and he was right.. I found how and where the speed can come from...Again that was me at most it was 40 percent thats all anyone realy needs its BALANCED at 50 percent and less any harder and things go in every direction. This is what he relayed to me after I translated his text from his native tongue to English.,hope it helps

Swing on my friends..swing on

Ummm. . . *clears throat* . . . what the fvck?

Note: This thread is 3649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!