Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
-BAMA-

400-425 cc drivers

15 posts in this topic

other than the r7... who else makes drivers with a head smaller than 460cc??

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

i just picked up an older model titleist 983k. i love the look of it at address but havent gotten used to hitting it yet. anybody ever had one of these drivers??

Yea, the 905S/T are both sub 460, i have a tour issue one upstairs, fantastic club. The 909's are good clubs, but so are the 905's and 907's.

seriously looking into one of these...

Well, to be quite technical, the 909 D3 is 440 cc. I still play my r7 Quad.

I have a old Titliest 975J that i use every now and then. Im not sure of the size but i assume its around 400cc.

I definitly do not like the 460 drivers, but haven't found a new model in a couple years that is less than 440cc (which is what the Titleist 909D5 is, I think). I was just looking at the Hot List today and they have the list of sizes with a few models less than 460, but not much smaller. I would love to see some of the new technology in a smaller head. I currently play a TaylorMade R540XD and have for years. I have owned 3-4 other drivers in 460cc size since purchasing the 540, but always go back to it because I prefer the smaller size and feel it's easier to 'work' than the larger heads.

I would love to find a new driver in that 390-425 size and I expect every year that someone will come out with one. Johnny Miller in Golf Digest or Magazine said in his column a year or 2 ago that he expected to see manufacturers start to design and sell smaller headed drivers in a couple years and I'm still waiting.

(And 'Yes' I know the Cleveland HiBore models until the Monster have been less than 460, but they still look like 460 and the Callaway FT-i was also under 460, but it was too expensive and didn't feel right.)

the new nike dymos come in smaller cc versions. I want to say around 380cc's. Its the model Kim has been using and nike says that tiger is going to use when he comes back.

The new TM R9 is 420 i believe and the the R7 limted is 440. The driver I use, Hibore XL Tour is a great river and i thnk its under 400- although it might be just over but is def under 460 and i love the small head as it is much easier to work and the 3 dgree open face suits my game perfectly

i hit the r7 425... its just not my style...

i just hate these 460 heads... its like swinging a coffee can on a stick, i wish they'd bring back the launcher 400....

im not consistent enough to get one of the titleists drivers....

The older callaway erc fusion is smaller but easier to hit than the titlest..that was a great driver if you can get over the sound, and there was a 2005 model cobra that came in a 400cc size that was supposed to be aimed at middle handicappers

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • 2016 BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth
      Nice to see Chris Wood win this,well done.He tends to play well in the British Open with a best T3 at Turnberry maybe this win will spur him on. Surely another Ryder cup player.
    • Your best golfing bargain
      I got two: Played Orange County National (Orlando) for 50 dollar. Including lunch and both Crooked cat and Panther lake. And got vouchers to play the course next time for half the normal price. Played a three day tourney in Sauerland (Germany) including a pré tourney round for 220 dollar. During the three days ALL drinks for free, food for free, last day dinner for free. Not just a hamburger, but full fetched all you can eat top meal (and again all drinks for free). Will be back next year 
    • GPS, WHY ?
      It comes down to how big are your shot zones. It's usually better to try to line up the shot zone center to the center of the green.
    • Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?
      And confirmation. Last year I played a three day tournament in Germany and scored 82, 86 and 91. Same tourney this year 80, 83 and 86. Happy 
    • What would a PGA Tour player shoot at your home course?
      Here's some more below about the lowest you might expect - even on an easy course. I think this is largely true, but pros don't tend to play a lot on 'easy' courses so there doesn't seem to be even much anecdotal stuff. The quote below describes what's considered the 'perfect round'. I guess you could also consider a 'go-for-green' perfect round where you also hit all the par 5's in two and one-putted those for eagle for a 'go-for-green perfect' score of 50. Obviously the likelihood of doing this in a single round defies the essence of golf, but it's a good a hard theoretical lower limit that probably depends more on the par than the course rating. Likely the odds grow exponentially as the percentage of birdied / eagled holes rises. I think we can discount albatrosses as a 'perfect round' option. Most tournament pro scores don't get below 56 and 59 with about an 80/20 rule separating the more frequent 59s from the 58's. That's 4-5 strokes (assuming par 72) over the 'perfect round' and 8-9 over the 'go-for-green perfect round', each of which represent grabbing about 75% and 61% respectively of the potential shots under par realistically available. I suppose a short par-4 would add another potential eagle opportunity, but we'll discount that as I'm not sure how universal they are. The lowest tournament round was 55 (par of 71) by one single golfer out of how many total tournament rounds by pros and plus HCP amateurs over the years? So while 55 is humanly achievable it's super rare and likely represents the lower limit of any possible likelihood. That would put the absolute lowest threshold around 17.8 below the course rating (72.8) and 16 below par. So there's a lot of room to go below even a low course rating or par of 70. I don't think the expected scores would get too squished and the distribution would still likely be normal in shape. The thing that is probably unrealistic is how narrow the range of expected scores is. The field is extremely consistent, but I think a single individual player (whose average score is the same as the field) will have a score variance significantly larger than the field. I think the mode likely stays the same while the distribution flattens / spreads out more into the tails with a little more probability to both go low and high and less certainty of shooting within a stroke or two of the mode / most likely score.  
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Blog Entries