IGNORED

Are expensive drivers worth it?

Note: This thread is 3112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger has an expensive driver and he sprays the damn thing all over God's creation.

It's just sitting in his closet right now, because all he's doing is sitting and watching Golf... Because he... STINKS

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger has an expensive driver and he sprays the damn thing all over God's creation.

He hits it better than you do.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

He hits it better than you do.

He doesn't hit it at all right now.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

He doesn't hit it at all right now.

Hits doesn't have to mean literally this minute. Present tense. This year. The last few months.-Whatever.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Hits doesn't have to mean literally this minute. Present tense. This year. The last few months.-Whatever.

True... Over the last 38 years he's hit it better than I have period in the last 20 ever. Off topic let's get back on topic.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Tiger's expensive driver helps his game or he wouldn't have it. That's on topic, right? :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Tiger's expensive driver helps his game or he wouldn't have it. That's on topic, right? :-D

Yes that's on topic... I'll chime in again, with my it depends line. Do I think the $400 and up drivers have features that would benefit my game... Absolutely... But not at that price point... As you guys know, I overhauled my entire set this year... Every last club I bought was brand new, but 2012-2013 models... I spent around $750 total... On 14 clubs... Now if I would have picked up and E8 Driver on release day I would have paid $300... I'm not a guy who replaces his clubs with tomorrow's model today... I replace my clubs with last year's or the year before's model... Most of the clubs I have purchased over the last five or six years have been gently used via EBay... I just happened to get lucky and get all brand new this time. So IMHO, the expensive drivers are good for some, but not me... I am a bargain hunter.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

My latest acquisition is an i25 so I know what you mean. It was a $399 driver at one point.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The answer in short is NO! In my opinion no driver is worth $400 to $500. Like others I have, in the past, paid that much for drivers, sold everyone of them. I too have had trouble with the driver, 'strong' fade to the right. I had a Cobra S3 Max 3W which I hit great so I figured I would try a Cobra S3 Max Driver. The S3 Max has a draw bias to it but it is an "old" club, before the Fly Z, Bio Cell and Amp Cell drivers, I think it is a ~2010/11 club. I found one on Ebay, brand new, from a Pro Shop in CA, for $89.00. For me this is an amazing club, I hit it straight down the middle, maybe a little left, carry about 200 yards (I'm 64 and have had three back surgeries so I don't hit that long). Just goes to show you can find a club for way under $400.00.

Remember the club of last year or before was the greatest thing since sliced bread at the time.

I don't think it's worth it to buy em new but wait a year and they're half off. The higher end clubs definitely do make a difference. When I mishit yet my ball ends up 240 in the middle I always say, "That's why I bought the expensive one."

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I don't think it's worth it to buy em new but wait a year and they're half off. The higher end clubs definitely do make a difference. When I mishit yet my ball ends up 240 in the middle I always say, "That's why I bought the expensive one."

Agreed. The new top of the line clubs will definitely help vs. junk or really old ones but you dont need the very latest $400 driver to reap the benefits. You can probably find a number of good options for 1/3 or 1/4 of that price right now. I have a BB 815 that I got for free, but were that not the case is still be playing my xhot from 3 or whatever years ago. I bet that xhot or ones of similar style can be had on eBay right now for less than $100.

• 2 weeks later...

In the last year I have gone from older Taylor Made 300, to new Cobra Amp, to RBZ, to Clevland Custom 2, back to the 300 with upgraded shaft, and now. A Billy Club 380 ft that came with some craigslist irons i wanted and all i can say is wow, that thing is awesome (for me)

So for me the answer would be no New is not better / worth it.  All the adjustments and bias seem like they hurt once swing is worked out.  MY Cobra was a draw bias and once i started turning my hands over, i couldn't hit it anymore

Edited by sirhacksalot

They're worth it if they fit your swing and game and improve your enjoyment. They aren't going to fix swing faults, though the right one might lessen the impact of one.

A driver that fits you (yes, go for a fitting) is worth it. The right shaft and head (loft + spin factors) can help you gain both length and accuracy.

But, do you have to spend $500 for a good driver? Of course not. A year-old model that fits your specs will do just fine. Wait for that first big price cut.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I believe the two most important clubs in the bag are the driver and putter.  Without those two "working" it is difficult to score well.  Having said that I don't equate money and performance as equals.  You need to find a driver that suits you and as WU Tiger suggests one way is to "get fitted" by a pro.  In my case I go the Golf Expos in the area and try out a lot of different clubs and some manufactures will "fit you for free (their equipment only).  So I do believe the driver is an important club that requires special attention, but don't think spending big bucks on one will ensure your driving performance.  I got mine out of a used club bin at a local shop that let me "rent" if for a round before I bought.  

Butch

I think it depends on one's ego. If a $1000 driver gives the user confidence, they play well with it,  then it is worth it to that user. Same goes for $199 dollar driver. 

I think a good driver of the ball could use any priced driver proficiently. 

My driver was custom fit/made from components, and cost me $149. I'm pretty sure a $300-$1000  driver would not play any better for me.

Same with putters. I have three, $300 putters in my garage collecting dust. I putt  better with my $39 putter.   

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 3112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!