IGNORED

Danny Lee: The next world #1?

Young Golf Prodigy
Note: This thread is 3522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I watched the highlights of Danny Lee last night while watching the Oscars. The youngest guy to win on the European Tour and recently winning the US Amateur. This kid has the stuff and his swing is golden. His work ethic and talent are Tiger-esque and he wins without trying.

Does he have what it takes to be the next #1?

Is he (gulp) the Tiger-slayer we've been waiting for?

Maybe...
Thoughts?
Others? (McIlroy, Kim)

What's in the Bag

Driver: Rapture 10.5*

3w: G10 15.5*5w: G10 18.5*3-UW i10 IronsSW: Vokey 54Putter: iWi Anser

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the highlights of Danny Lee last night while watching the Oscars. The youngest guy to win on the European Tour and recently winning the US Amateur. This kid has the stuff and his swing is golden. His work ethic and talent are Tiger-esque and he wins without trying.

I think it's way too early to tell. He's 18, AK is like 23, and McIlroy is 19?. Wouldn't it be a little tough to try and predict how good they will be? They all have a long way to go.

In reference to their work ethics, I don't think anyone that does not know them personally can evaluate how good their work ethics are. Their coaches, parents, and friends tell us that they all have it, but they would be extremely biased. I really do think that most, if not all , professional athletes have great work ethics. To be great, you have to have a gift. You can work super hard, but some people have a greater potential than others. Obviously working hard helps to reach that potential, but are these guys so gifted that they can be the greatest ever? I would think (statistically speaking) that they don't. Eventually, someone will topple Tiger. It's going to happen. Whether or not that happens during his prime will be the question. If he comes back and is as good as he was, I think it would be really tough and probably impossible. IMO, he's the greatest golfer to ever play and it's tough to top that when he's in his prime. (Look at MJ, Ali, Pele, etc. They were all dominant and possibly the best ever in their respective sports. How can anyone top them [in ranking] when they are in their primes?)

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

100% Danny Lee is the real deal.

I said this on the other Danny Lee thread, but this kid is sick. I've been looking for videos online of his swings since his U.S Amateur victory and I've found nothing. This kid is golf's best kept secret.

He's something like 6'1", 145 lbs. He has super skinny arms but his body is literally like one big rubber band. His power is impressive and so is his short game. I love this kid's game in every way.

Danny, I'm your no.1 fan! Go get 'em, buddy! Good luck at the Masters!

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In reference to their work ethics, I don't think anyone that does not know them personally can evaluate how good their work ethics are. Their coaches, parents, and friends tell us that they all have it, but they would be extremely biased. I really do think that most, if not

Danny Lee's mother is a golf pro, and young Danny apparently spent a lot of time at the golf course where she worked, waiting for her to drive them home. Obviously there are a lot of golf pros with children out there, so that doesn't mean he'll automatically be a great player, but it's definitely a big reason for his success so far.

Constantine

I'll be a believer when he starts winning here in the states. Winning on the Euro tour is much, much different than winning on the PGA Tour.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I'll be a believer when he starts winning here in the states. Winning on the Euro tour is much, much different than winning on the PGA Tour.

Being that Anthony Kim, Camillo Villegas, Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter, Paul Casey, and Colin Montgomery were all in the field for the 2009 Johnny Walker Classic, I'd say this kid is pretty legit.

Constantine

I was watching him all weekend, and his poise is just amazing, and his athletic ability to swing the club is awesome. Legit is an understatement for this kid. It would be interesting to see Tiger and this kid on the same course, when that happens.

The next no. 1 after who? After Kim, after McIlroy, after . Please, unless Tiger breaks down physically and UNTIL one of these guys wins a half dozen majors no one is taking Tiger's place.

Do any of you guys remember when Jack was in his prime or just past it and every hotshot was the "next" Jack? Watson and Miller come to mind. Both good (great?) players but not in Jack's class. It took a long time to convince many that Tiger is the best (and some may never be convinced) and no one is stepping into those big Nike Golf shoes anytime soon. Give these guys some time and we'll see. Maybe Kim or Lee are the real deal but they all have a loooonnnnnng way to go. One or three wins does not cut it. Now here's to hoping that these guys can and do give Mr. Woods a run for his money - or however they measure golfers these days. Paul

Paul

Driver G5 10.5º
Woods 3, 5 X FAIRWAY WOODS
Hybrid Bobby Jones Golf H4 HYBRIDIrons X-18 4-PWWedges 54º X-Forged 60º 588 RS putter Anser

Tiger is no doubt the best golfer ever IMO, and he will be for some time. I think Danny Lee though has a great chance to be a consistent winner on the PGA Tour and eventually becoming the world no.1 in possibly 7-10 years.

McIlroy is also disgusting and I would love to see Lee vs. McIlroy in a 36-hole match play battle.

Constantine

There's been a buzz around this kid here in NZ for a while now and it's great to see all that potential start to bear fruit. I'm definitely looking forward to getting to see him play in the NZ PGA next week. It's tough to say if he'll develop into a world beater at this early stage but things do look promising.

Please don't start this argument up again. There is no doubt that winning on the pga tour is different, but not ''much much different''. The European Tour is not far behind the PGA tour, its just that there's a bit more money on the US tour....in terms of the quality of player, there is hardly any diference at all. When Faldo was world Number 1, he played most of his golf on the European tour.

If you think the gulf is massive then you don't know much about professional golf! As for Danny Lee, i will wait with baited breath.

The next no. 1 after who? After Kim, after McIlroy, after . Please, unless Tiger breaks down physically and UNTIL one of these guys wins a half dozen majors no one is taking Tiger's place.

Tom Watson is an all time great

Being that Anthony Kim, Camillo Villegas, Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter, Paul Casey, and Colin Montgomery were all in the field for the 2009 Johnny Walker Classic, I'd say this kid is pretty legit.

Exactly, something about this kid screams incredible talent. And yea, after the US amateur he talked about how his mom would lecture him about his swing when he was winning matches 5&4. I think that there is something about how he trains. And yea, he beat a lot of great players, albeit Kim is recovering an injury, Monty can't play for beans anymore, and Poulter and Casey are always second page players

What's in the Bag

Driver: Rapture 10.5*

3w: G10 15.5*5w: G10 18.5*3-UW i10 IronsSW: Vokey 54Putter: iWi Anser

Do any of you guys remember when Jack was in his prime or just past it and every hotshot was the "next" Jack? Watson and Miller come to mind. Both good (great?) players but not in Jack's class.

There's no question mark after "great" describing either Miller or Watson, they were both great players, period. As for in Jack's "class", after Tiger where do we go in the Nicklaus era for most PGA wins and most majors, some head to head, with Nicklaus? Tom Watson, not just a "good" player, one of the best of all time, hands down.

Didn't Mickelson win a pro tournament as an amateur? The kid has a lot of potential, but he won't be the next No. 1 player in the world, plenty of others to challenge for that for now.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Next #1 in about ten years or whenever Tiger hangs it up, maybe. This kid is good and has a load of potential but golf is littered with those who were supposed to be "the next big thing."

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

It's WAY too early to even discuss Danny Lee and Tiger Woods in the same breath. The next player who will replace Tiger will have to drastically change the game, and that person has yet to be seen. Tiger was 18 when he won his first amateur and then proceeded to dominate the US Amateur the next few years and then the college level...not to mention what he did when he got to the big show. I imagine that Danny will play the Masters and then turn pro where he will probably battle for 2nd spot for the next 15 or so years.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Down here in NZ this guy is the next big thing. The reason hes so gud is because he puts the most work in and practises the most. His work ethic is amazing! As for challenging tiger, im not sure but you just wait, he has the talent to go all the way.

Driver: Hibore XL 9.5 R
3 Wood: SQII 15
Hybrid: XLS 19
Irons: 3-PW Ta5
Wedges: 52* CG 10 58* Vokey SM08Putter: Rossa TP Kia Ma Monaco Ball: Pro V1/V1x, Z-Star/Z-Star x

Winning on the Euro tour is much, much different than winning on the PGA Tour....

...as both

Anthony Kim and Camilo Villegas have both discovered: Maybank Malaysian Open Kim: T33 Villegas: MC Johnnie Walker Classic Kim: T25 Villegas: T85
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 3522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!