IGNORED

Grips for irons -- No glove

jermzkill
Note: This thread is 5531 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking to re-grip all of my irons. What is a cheap grip reliable to buy for all my irons, I don't wear a glove if that matters.

I've been looking at some Sharpro Dualcord velvet grips, but I read online they deteriorate pretty fast, anyone have any experience with these?
Driver: 3dx driver 10.5*
Irons: 3dx hybrid irons 5-P
Iron: X-14 3 iron
Wood: MT 4wood 16.5*
Wedge: Lob 60*Putter: White Hot 2-ballBag: Xtreme Sport Stand Bag

The best 'cheap' grips that will last a while are probably the Golf Pride Tour Velvet or the Lamkin Crossline. Each will run you about $3.00-$3.50, if you do it yourself. If a shop does it for you they will be $5-6 each. Both are also available in in half or full cord also I think, if that is what you want.

I haven't played the Sharpro grips before, but have use the 'knock-off' brands before. They are great for a while, but the do wear out a little faster. You can pretty much use the knock-offs and change them twice as often or use the premium grips and pay twice as much, but you won't need to change them as often. Either way, you pay about the same. That is if you like having fresh grips. Some people don't ever change them. I used to go with cheap grips and change twice a year. Now I don't play as much so I get the better grip and change them once a year.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I've used the Sharpro dual grips. I still have a few on my wedges. I think for the money they're a terrific grip. I've had no wear issues, but I tend to change my grips more often than I probably should.

I was reading that the Sharpro dual grips are for someone wearing one glove. How is the feel with no gloves?

I don't wear a glove and use the Golf Pride New Decade, they are more expensive but with a little TLC they will last quite a while. After about 5 or 6 rounds I dunk them in soapy water, scrub them with a soft bristle brush, rinse and dry. I can get close to 100 rounds in by doing this, I might change out my driver and wedge since they get hit the most but the rest will last an amazing amount of rounds.

I have seen these grips on eBay for a lot less then retail. I have seen 8 grips going for about $50.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp...022509&lm;=golf

Golfworks sale on Tour Decade double logo Golf Pride. code B022509. Ends 3-3-09 at midnight. $1.99.

Driver: 4DX T 10.5 Evolver w/ Redboard
Hybrids: G5: 16*, 19*, 22*
Irons: Ping Eye 2 +no+ (5-PW)
Wedges: CG12: 52/10, 56/14, 60/10
Putter: C&L flowneckBall: Z-Star

If you're going gloveless, I would definitely go Winn.

R7 Limited Patriot 9.5º
Sasquatch 15º
Idea Pro Gold Hybrid 20º
Tour Preferred Irons 4-PW
Z Smoke TP 52º SV Tour Black Satin 56º Rossa Core Classics Fontana One Tour

The best 'cheap' grips that will last a while are probably the Golf Pride Tour Velvet or the Lamkin Crossline. Each will run you about $3.00-$3.50, if you do it yourself. If a shop does it for you they will be $5-6 each. Both are also available in in half or full cord also I think, if that is what you want.

Lamkin has a few grips that are inexpesive and can be worn without a glove: Performance Plus, Crossline Tour, Crossline, and Perma Wrap. For Golf Pride: Tour Velvet, Player's Softie, and Tour Wrap. I like the Softie with no glove and there's a sale on them right now (Golfworks or Golfsmith?). These grips are about the same price as the Sharpro and probably higher quality.

I was reading that the Sharpro dual grips are for someone wearing one glove. How is the feel with no gloves?

I would expect that they are like the Golf Pride Decade Multi-Compound. My wedges have that grip on them. For short shots, you wouldn't have a problem, but with full swings, I'm not a huge fan. They just don't feel that good IMO. (Great grips if you wear a glove though.)

I've never really used Winn grips in irons, but I've felt the DSI's. They were nice, just not for me. Try them and see if that's the case.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Lamkin Crossline for me. Great value and they have a fantastic tread pattern; plenty of grip even when pretty damp.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't wear a glove and have Golf Pride Tour Velvets on my irons and Lamkin Crossline on my wedges. I'm quite happy with both.
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 10*
Fairway Woods: Callaway X-Hot 15*, Callaway X 2008 18*
Hybrids: Callaway X-Hybrid 21*
Irons: Mizuno MP-57 5-PW (27*, 31*, 35*, 39*, 43*, 47*)
Wedges: Eidolon V-Sole GW (52*), SW (56*), LW (60*)Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball White Steel BladeBall: Bridgestone e6 BallStand Bag: Ogio...

anyone have anything negative to say about these before i get them?

and the guy that recommended the 'softie' grip, could you possibly link me? I tried to look for the grip but couldn't find it. Is it under another name?

anyone have anything negative to say about these before i get them?

Those are fine entry level grips. For $2 each you can't go wrong. Personally, I'm not a fan of the softie grips. They're well, a little mushie feeling for me. Try them before you have them installed. my buddy loves his, you may too!

Note: This thread is 5531 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!