IGNORED

G10's, S9's, AP1's

EsR3885
Note: This thread is 5495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you're shooting in the high 80s, I do not believe for one second you should be playing AP2s or i10s or X-22 Tours like some people are suggesting. Most likely you are not hitting a ton of GIR with your current irons, so why would someone suggest you move to an iron that is harder to hit? For workability? If you can't hit the ball consistently straight, then you shouldn't be concerned about being able to "work" your ball yet. Straight works 95% of the time, so stick to an iron that will give you the best chance of doing that.

What you are saying makes sense: you really won't get into trouble if you hit it straight. I just don't think that i10s or X-22 Tours are that hard to hit for a

decent golfer. (I'm not 100% sure about the AP2s for a mid capper.) That's what the OP is. He says he shoots in the high 80s and IMO mid cappers have some game. He could probably play i10s or X-22 Tours. To the OP, if you think you will improve to those mid to low 80s in the near future, I don't see anything wrong with the i10s. I haven't used the X-22 Tours, but they are probably easy to hit for a "player's" club (like the X-20 Tours). I don't think you should buy blades, but these smaller cavities may suit you. It all depends on how your ballstriking is and how much desire you have to improve. Good luck.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I like the players club, which is not something i will be debating here but, I find the X-20 tours ever so slightly more forgiving, than the x-22 tours. I would rate the x-20 tours as a transition club from GI to Players CB.

The new burners are very nice aswell. The non-tour X22's are amazing clubs, amazing all-around forgiveness.

I might be in the minority on this one, certainly with some people on this thread, but I think too many golfers play clubs too advanced for their game just for the sake of playing "players" irons. (Irrelevant to this topic but I love the 15 handis playing blades)

I agree, but to each their own. When I bought my S9's I was debating between G.I. and S.G.I. (Cleveland CG Gold / S9). I hit the S9's slightly better but thought I should be playing a G.I. iron. My decision was made when the C.P.G.A. Pro at the shop told me he plays the S9's. The name of the game is to get the ball on the green. So whatever club makes it easier to do that, should be the irons you buy.

IMO the S9's are in the S.G.I. category but certainly don't have the bulky look of other S.G.I irons

• 5 weeks later...
I'm also looking for a new set of irons. I'm leaning either towards the Mizuno MX-200 or the Ping G10. I have tried both off a mat at the range (6 iron Mizuno and 7 iron Ping). I liked both clubs and I was very accurate with the G10 7 Iron. It was very easy to hit.

However, I'm a bit put off by the overly wide sole on this club. I think it looks cheap and ugly, though I do know it's purpose. I'm worried that it will be hard to take a divot with this club.

I feel like hitting a 9-iron or Pitching Wedge will be tough. I'm scared that I will hit shots thin with this club.

Can anyone comment on that?

The look and feel of the MX-200 is far superior IMO.

I'm probably biased in thinking this, but i think that nickent clubs are horribly underrated. My 4DX CB are perfect. They don't have a big bulky topline, they have a SMALL amount of offset(I get a natural draw from my normal swing), and they feel great.

My dad shoots about the same as you,(High 80's, low 90's) before his switch. He now has Mp-52's. He absolutely loves them and hes gone in a bit of a transition slump, but now his scores are lowering FAST. I've hit them on the range and they just feel fantastic.

I also demo'd a set of mx-19's and they were pretty amazing to swing. My only problem was a thick topline which made me not get them.

My uncle plays G10's which i used for about 2 weeks and they are SUPER forgiving and very easy to hit, but once again thick toplines.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

All good advice here so far. The G10's are well liked for a wide range of skill levels. A very popular model. Lots of game improvement / forgiveness but also played by some single digit hcaps.

I demoed the original S9 when I was iron-shopping and could not hit it at all for some reason. And I was leaning toward the S9 based on initial reports and I was playing Cobra SS-i's at the time. You'll want to demo any club before buying obviously.
Driver: G15 12*    /     FW: Exotics CB1 4-wood,   a4OS 5-wood
Hybrids Hi-bore 3,4-hybrids  /   Irons: G10 5-UW TFC 129i
Wedge Vokey SM 56*   /   Putter: Karsten Anser 

I've had roughly the same irons since I was 17. Classic Ping ISI-K irons 3-sw. Absolutely love em. I've played newer irons but nothing is as more forgiving or predictable/workable. Although newer tech is out, i'll admit i've reshafted twice to try and keep up. If I were you I'd go get professionally fitted for a set of Ping's and forget it for another 4-5 years or at least until you stop shootin in the 70's ;).

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Don't forget the Wilson Ci'7's. If this helps I also shoot higher 80's.

They beat the other options you have in the Golf Digest 2008 competition thing.

Very nice looking iron, high MOI but workable and about $350 new if you want to save $300 bucks.

I couldn't be happier ( I got them used for $260 ).

Blade Stand Bag
905R 11.5 R flex
Tight Lies 3 Wood
Ci7 Irons 4-GW R Flex
Vokey SM Wedges 54 / 58Classic Putter #1 34"ProV1 or U-Tri Tour or E5+

Any other suggestions besides ones listed would be appreciated.

If you like the G10s.....then take a look at the G5s....you can get them new, custom fitted for a few hundred less than the G10s and they really set up very simular.

Good luck and congrats on your game taking shape.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!