IGNORED

time to add some technology...any gps advice?

Note: This thread is 5503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

anyone with advice on which gps to get? some seems to have lots of features but would i really all of that? or is it best to get a really simple one like the izzo or golflogix?

There are a number of threads on this subject on this forum. Just search for 'GPS' and you'll find several hits.

I own a iGolf NEO and have no complaints. It's a very simple unit, but others provide more information on such things as distances to multiple points (such as fairway bunkers, creeks, etc.) The simple GPS units (such as Neo) usually give info to front, center and back of green. The issue with that is sometimes you are not on the same line as that which the green was mapped at. Of couse, the cheaper, simpler units are typically smaller, which I found to be a real plus.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I would suggest the GolfBuddy, because it gives points to other references like bunkers on the course, courses are already pre-loaded on the GPS (no downloading), no annual fees for uses of satellites. Just as good as a SkyCaddie in my opinion, cheaper too. I have the Pro version and it has no failed to disappoint.

Sumo 2 5000 Aldila Proto By-You 65-s
Tour Burner 2 hybrid
CCi 4-A
SV Tour 60*
Unitized Tiempo 35in NXT Tour & NXT Extreme Synchro Cart Bag

Another vote for the iGolf Neo. You get Front, Center, Back of the Green, along with up to 4 customizable locations per hole. Not many need more than that. The price is very reasonable, the maps are yours to keep, you pay $35 for 1 year or 100 maps. Do it once and you can get nearly every course you are likely to play and they are yours for ever. You can plot your own course, check distances that you hit the ball. And it is all in one small simple package. If money wasn't a concern the SkyCaddie's are neat, but are more than I need.

Josh F.

I guess I am third in line for the iGolf Neo. Simple, compact, very easy to use. I have had mine for 1/2 of last year, and never had an issue. I paid $150 including shipping. There are quite a few out there, so my recommendation would be to settle on exactly what you need - basic or more complex. Price is typically always a concern, this was my reason for choosing. good luck

Cobra L5V - Just waiting for the ZL to have a lower price
Cobra F Speed 2006 3 wood - very underrated 3 wood
Adams Pro Idea 3H and 4H

Taylormade Burner XD 4-AW
Cleveland 48*, 52*, and 60*

Odyssey F7 2 Ball

I like my GolfLogix, easy to use on the course, easy to download courses and install them on the unit. Just one subscription price for courses worldwide. Request a course to be added or submit corrections and they are usually ready in 2 weeks or less. And the hardware is Garmin, rugged and waterproof... you can drop into water up to 3 feet deep without harm... hard to beat that.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What so you guys think about the difference between a GPS say the new uPro and a range finder like the Leupold. Any advice on their strengths and weaknesses, and customer praise or complaints. I need to put some of this technology in my bag to help my game and this is the year.

What so you guys think about the difference between a GPS say the new uPro and a range finder like the Leupold. Any advice on their strengths and weaknesses, and customer praise or complaints. I need to put some of this technology in my bag to help my game and this is the year.

This is a battle that will never end. My opinion is that they both serve their purposes. GPS can be used when line of site to the location you are hitting is not available. However GPS usually requires subscription fees, there can be times when you lose signal from satellites(rarely for most), and they are usually accurate within a few feet(some better than others.) Than with rangefinders you have very exact distances. However the line of site issue can be bothersome. I found most were significantly larger than my igolf neo also. If it was possible, I'd like to have both for different situations but I chose the gps cuz it fit my game/courses better.

Josh F.

SkyCaddie SG4 is on clearance and can be purchased on eBay for $165 shipped right now.

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

I have both the GolfLogix GPS and a Bushnell Tour V2 w/Pinseeker. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I still prefer the laser for 90% of my measurements. I can just depend on it's accuracy more than I can the GPS. I KNOW that when I've taken a sighting on a anything that I've got the EXACT distance, not an estimate, not a number that was programmed by someone who THOUGHT he knew what would be needed.

Example: The 7th hole at my home course is a short par 4 (340 yards) with a pond that cuts most of the way across the fairway. You can't hit a driver on this hole, so there is always a decision to be made as to what club is the right one for your layup. The problem is that the pond angles across the fairway. It's about 200 yards to the edge of the water down the left side, but closer to 250 if you squeeze it down the right. My GPS says it's 200 to the water.... but it never says just where on the shore of the pond that measurement was taken. However, with my laser I can take a shot at a couple of trees a long the edge of the pond and know the exact distance to those points, thus allowing me to make a more informed decision. These are the things that you have to consider when making your choice. What's most important to you? Something you don't have to fool around with but which will often be more of an approximation, or or taking a few seconds to know the precise distances? Also keep in mind that a laser can't see around corners or through hills while the GPS can still give a reasonably close straight line measurement to the green when you can't see the flag.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

anyone with advice on which gps to get? some seems to have lots of features but would i really all of that? or is it best to get a really simple one like the izzo or golflogix?

Dont buy Upro. Product is no better than any other. More expensive. I dont trust any new company that doesnt provide decent customer service. Once you purchase credits and your upro gets stolen. YOU LOSE!!...nice warning at the end of the cc page in very small print..no refund on credits!. All my research on buying this product that was not mentioned. Company customer service is the pits!

Note: This thread is 5503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!