IGNORED

Putting Stroke Question!

Note: This thread is 5524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As soon as the weather begins to cooperate i am going to start working hard on the putting green to get back to a good putting stroke. Last year i developed a serious case of cutting across the ball. So with the help of a putting track i am going to get it back. My questions is what do you think the best thing to do is. Putt 75 putts from about a putters length with the track and then try to make the other 25 without it? Or would you suggest doing some other type of drill with the putting track. I think after several sessions of 75 putts wtih the track i will get back to where i want to be. Thanks.

Speed LD F Stiff Shaft 9.5*
3dx dc 2 ironwood 17*
3dx dc 4 ironwood 23*
710 AP1 5 - P
50.08 Spin Milled CC 56.11 Spin Milled CC 60.04 Spin Milled CCDual Force 2 Putter #1 Pro V1xForget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

• Administrator
I suggest incorporating stroking the putter without a ball, too.

Dean Thompson of Z-Factor fame says you should (I think):
a) swing the putter in the z-factor without a ball
b) hit a few balls in the z-factor
c) swing a few times outside the z-factor
d) hit a few balls outside the z-factor

Progress slowly. The ball is added later, and swinging without the training aid is added later too.

a) no ball, training aid
b) ball, training aid
c) no ball, no aid
d) ball, no aid

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That Z factor is pretty cool. I'm hesitant to take any product for its true value if it claims a player will be " learning the muscle memory "

I'm assuming you have used this before. How much resistance does the track have?

Well i won't be using the z factor just a normal putting track but i gotcha. Yeah that sounds better than just beating putts with it. Maybe i can do something like 25 solid strokes with it then 10 without it and then hit 7 balls with it and then 8 balls without it and repeat. My putting stroke isn't terrible but it is prohibiting me from getting down to the 40/80(9 only / 18) range i want to be at. I want to have confidence to make almost anything 5 feet and in along with getting all 10 footers to be scary close to going in and if they miss only being like a foot away from the hole. Putting is going to be 40 percent of my practice and 30 percent short game around green and pitch shots into green and the remaining is going to be working hard on approach shots with irons. I feel that with those 3 things working and being in the fairway on most drives will get me to my desired score.

3dx dc 2 ironwood 17*
3dx dc 4 ironwood 23*
710 AP1 5 - P
50.08 Spin Milled CC 56.11 Spin Milled CC 60.04 Spin Milled CCDual Force 2 Putter #1 Pro V1xForget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

recall learning a putt stroke by using tees to create an "alley" for your putter to follow. Putt to tees instead of a hole because you can move the "hole" (tee) further away to practice different length putts.

Good Luck.

Cheers,
Eric

what's in my Sun Mtn bag:
Driver: 3-Wood: Big Bertha Irons: Mizuno MP-54 Wedge: Mizuno 56°-10° Putter: Newport 2 Ball: Pro Vx

I use the Dave Pelz teacher clips. They're metal pieces that staick to your putter and they're the idth of a ball. If you're not right on the weetspot, the ball deflects way left or way right, depending on which side you miss it to.

Yeah i am reading his book and it says about the teacher clips. I don't think missing the sweet spot is my problem i think having the face at somewhat of an angle and not making a good stroke is pushing it.

3dx dc 2 ironwood 17*
3dx dc 4 ironwood 23*
710 AP1 5 - P

Let me ask you Dagolfer:

Do you ever go to the putting green and just hit a few at the hole- ABSOLUTELY not paying any attention whatsoever to your stroke, or how you look, or anything as far as technique?

I would recommend i, if you haven't. (Of course I'd also do this when alone as I understand this might be a bit embarrassing if others didn't know what you were up to, lol)

Why do children normally progress at golf quicker than an adult? Because they pay absolutely no attention to what anyone tells them. They do what feels natural. If someone gave you a broom handle and a tennis ball and told you to poke it towards a hole, you would think nothing of technique, but only of feel, because there is no predetermined setup.

Just "whack" at it a few times and watch that slight cut disappear. What this is designed to do, is to help you FEEL the correct release of the club, your natural release if you will. Do you feel the club more with your left or with your right hand? Take this into account as you smack at it. Remember the feel of your release. You should be rolling at something at least 25 feet in length, and in somewhat of a pretty quick routine. Don't take your time, or and only set up once. Don't "get set". This is important. Just walk up, brace, and pop it. Roll about 15 or 20 balls.

Now find a flat 10 footer (or a moderate right to left for a right handed, left to right left-handed) and roll it the same way you were "whacking" at it, and concentrate SOLELY on your speed. Make that ball stop within six inches short or long each time. Don't worry about making them.

As your speed comes together, you will notice that your ball will begin to "roll" instead of skiff, bounce, etc, etc. You will also notice that your tempo will magically improve.

After rolling 30 or so putts with the correct speed in a row, its time to roll some 3 footers. Putt those three-footers like they are for the match. By this time in the drill, you should really have a good sense of feel. Making those three-footers will also instill confidence. After making around 30 or so, feel free to take a break, maybe roll a few other putts.

Again, this drill is to work on your feeeeel. And when working with feel, technique is not to be on the mind. Once you are confident that you are putting the dead level best you will with a natural roll, then it is time to start working on rocking those shoulders, and putter path.

I realize this is probably something you've never heard and will probably never hear from anyone else, but I implore you to try it, and let me hear how it worked for you.

I'll be willing to bet that after two sessions of this, two-putting will be the least of your worries, and you'll begin to see more rolls having a chance to drop.

Remember- the best putters in the world could putt with any technique. Technique is not what makes the putter, it only improves his or her precision.

Hope this is of some help : )
Damn you people, this is golf!

Go to your local golf store, and get a putting carpet that has lines on it. The one I have at home has lines at 3,5 and 7 feet. There is a line to square the putter head, and after that you should square your body accordingly. Do that everynight. What I do is make 50 in a row with my eyes closed at 3 and 5 feet.

That putting clip is a great tool also, along with the putting track, but you could always save yourself a couple bucks and lay down a couple clubs parallel to each other and putt inside that.

Driver: G10 9*
3-wood: 909F3 15*
Hybrid: 909H 19*
Irons: 695MBs
Wedges: 56 & 52 64 spin milledPutters:Seemore FGP Spider

Lol, I hate to repost, but ...

It is amazing to me how people are sooooo worried about getting that alignment right.

It's artificial. You can set up perfectly and still be a horrible putter. Same thing with the golf swing.

I will say again, because I have found success through these tips. I am relaying information taught to me by a very old pro.

The best putters in the world could putt with any technique. Technique is not what makes the putter, it only improves his or her precision.

You will notice improvement much more quickly if you concentrate on feel before technique. Do you really think PGA pros figured out the perfect alignment, and then all the sudden they made everything? Of course not. They have an inert ability that technique only helps. Working with lines and this and that is fine to tune a stroke, but it sounds as dagolfer was trying to figure out how to create a natural stroke.

Damn you people, this is golf!

Note: This thread is 5524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!