IGNORED

Practice, Practice, Practice

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 6544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

They say practice makes perfect, what do you think. I know I have to practice and play quite often or my game suffers because I am a feel player that depends on tempo. It’s a good thing that I am in a situation that grants me the time to work on my game. I was wondering though about other peoples practice habits. How often and how long do you practice? What percentage of practice time do you spend on each part of your game, putting, short game, and full swing? What games, routines, tricks, or drills do you use that help make your practice time more effective and fun. Maybe we can learn a few things from each other.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I typically play 1-2 times a week, and also hit balls on the range 1-2 times per week.

On the range I warm up with a seven iron. After warming up, my breakdown of balls hit is about like this-

50%- Wedges- You wanna make birdies, you gotta knock it stiff. I also practice hitting different types of wedge shots- knock downs, punch wedges, pitches, etc...

30%- Mid Irons- I tend to hit these more than long irons on the course.

10%- Long Irons, Fairway Woods-

10%- Driver, Fairway Woods off the tee- I think too many people spend too much time on the range trying to knock it further than the guy beside them. I have started spraying my driver, so this will change next trip to the range tonight.

I also spend about 30-60 minutes putting and chipping. I'll chip 5 balls (if green not occupied, to different holes), and then go putt them in.

Hope this helps- just what I do. The sole reason I use the 7 iron to warm up is I read it in Harvey Pennicks Little Red Book YEARS ago.
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

I practice 4-6 days per week for about 1.5-2 hours and play 2 times per week. My practice routine is similar to Wood. I warm up with 8 iron and really work on the fundamentals of my swing. After that, I will work my way through my irons and into my hybrids and woods. I typically don't spend a lot of time on my long irons/hybrids and woods because I find that I don't use them a lot on the course and they are not usually used for sticking it tight on a green. They are usually used off the tee and into par 5's.

After I work through those, I spend a lot of time with my wedges and target practice. I'll pick a spot and practice hitting draws, fades, knockdowns, flops, etc. I usually practice 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock shots with each club. I do need to make more time to practice greenside chipping and putting though.

As for drills, I don't use a lot. I do take my shoebox with me everyday. I line it up parallel to my swing path and just outside of the target line. It prevents my from coming over the top and keeps a nice inside out swing.

Good topic.

I probably practice (during peak golf season) about 5-6 hours a week. At least half of that time is on the putting green. The time on the range is spent mostly on irons and wedges. I try not to hit the driver too much, but it is hard not to.

I probably play 1-2 times a week. I actually enjoy practicing nearly as much as playing...which is good because it's good for my game and is cost effective at the same time. Also, the wife doesn't mind if I'm gone for 1-2 hours at a time rather than the 4-5 on the weekend.

To me, you should spend as much time practicing as you are playing...and split the practice time with 40% putting, 40% irons/drivers and 20% wedges and chipping which is close to the split of where you hit shots on the course.

Just my 2 cents.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Excellent topic. I used to just go out and hit balls, then go do some chipping and then some putting. Last year, I read a book by Annika Sorenstam's coach called " Every shot must have a purpose: How Golf54 can make you a better player " (links to Amazon.com site) and have started to change how I practice.

The book has some excellent practice routines and suggestions. I don't do everything, but I've taken bits and pieces. For example, I spend more time warming up (getting the heart-rate up and then doing 10-15 minutes of stretching) than before. Next, I spend some time just getting a feel for my "swing" that day by using a short iron (usually 8 iron). After I feel "warmed-up", I start the practice session.

According to the author, you should practice how you intend to play. Just going and hitting balls does not in any way mimic golf - the author says that most people learn how to hit balls, but don't practice "golf". What I've picked-up is that after my warm-up, I only take one shot per club, switching between a "long" and a "short" club - to better simulate what playing on a course would be like. Then, I practice hitting a wood/driver, a mid/long iron, and then a wedge. I've also started to be more intentional about each swing - before I would just focus on making solid contact and watching the ball flight. Now, I'm taking aim and then trying to hit it with each club. I practice hitting partial shots with wedges as well. The whole point is that we don't usually hit the same club several times in a row when we're out on the course - so why do we practice like that? All of this usually takes about 30-45 minutes (depending on the size of the bucket). To finish up, I spend time 15-20 minutes at the putting green.

In total, I spend about 1 hour per session and try for a minimum of 2-3 practice sessions per week. I don't have too much time, so I alternate between a full 18 and then 9 holes each week. After each round/half round of golf, I identify things that I want to improve and then work on those during the next practice sessions. At the next practice session, after my warm-up, I may spend 10-15 minutes working on one or two things that I identified during the previous round before doing a "simulated" round (as described above).

I'd recommend the book. It's a short and easy read. Mostly focusses on the mental approach, but has some excellent suggestions on how to play and also how to practice. Hey, if it's good enough for Annika, then it's definitely good enough for me.

Sign the slow play promise and petition

As for drills, I don't use a lot. I do take my shoebox with me everyday. I line it up parallel to my swing path and just outside of the target line. It prevents my from coming over the top and keeps a nice inside out swing.

Candycane

What do you mean about the shoebox? Ricky

What I've picked-up is that after my warm-up, I only take one shot per club, switching between a "long" and a "short" club - to better simulate what playing on a course would be like.

I have tried that technique as well but I didn't find that it worked as well for me. I think it may be because I am still learning how to swing properly with good fundamentals so I benefit more from repetition with the same club. Though, once I am feeling my swing, maybe I should start making scenarios?

What do you mean about the shoebox?

Most of the serious issues that I've had with my swing is the tendency to come over the top either by turning my shoulders too quickly or by throwing my hands. When I was first starting, I couldn't really "feel" when I was over the top (or outside in) so I needed another type of feedback. The

Inside Approach is a common golf aid but I figured that I could 1) make my own or 2) find something just as good around the house. I decided on a shoebox because of its size and the fact that it wouldn't damage a club if hit. What I do, is line up the shoebox next to the ball lengthwise down the target line but a few inches outside of the ball. This gives you enough room to bring the club back and through but any movement outside of that inside-out plane will cause you to hit the box. I also flip the lid over toward me (and partially covering the ball similar to the Inside Approach) to reinforce keeping my hands low. I can take a picture next time I'm out.

This is a great thread, thanks for all the good ideas. Me, I'm gradually getting more focused when I'm on the range, which means always having a very specific intent. I think it's good to try to set up a Pass/Fail situation. Pick two visual markers out there that about are as far apart as they should be, given the club in your hand. The longer the club, the wider apart obviously. If the ball lands inside the markers (e.g. distance marker on one side, some flag or something on the other), you made a good shot. If not, you blew it again ! Keep track of you hit/miss percentage, and put pressure on yourself to "catch up" if you're falling behind on your expected average.

For wedge work, at one range around here we have big netting targets, with buckets in the middle for an even smaller target - at about 130, 110 and 70 yards. When I started using those nets seriously, I missed them most of the time . Last time I was out, I hit 4/5 of the 110y yard nets with my PW (hit the fifth fat and short, but straight !) - very gratifying. Sorry to brag, I'm still mostly a hacker but sometimes I get the feel .....

My point: you've got to set it up so that if you mishit on the range, you really know and admit to yourself that you blew it. Heck, that's what it's like out there on the unforgiving course for Pete's sake - no weasling there ! And besides, it makes practising much more interesting, challenging and entertaining. Keep track of your "score" this way, be competitive with yourself, and see if you are really improving (which you will be, trust me ..).
p.s. I agree about hitting 1/2 and 3/4 shots as well, I've just starting doing that and it helps a lot - now I'm starting to use them more often on the course too.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I have a big circle driveway in front of my house with a palm tree planted on each side of the entry way to the drive, about 15 yards apart. My current favorite golf practice is to hit my lob wedge back and forth in between the palms, imagining the driveway as a greenside hazard that I have to carry while still stopping the ball short of the target palm.

I figure I've got about a week left before my wife notices what this practice is doing to the lawn...

"My swing is so bad I look like a caveman killing his lunch." ~Lee Trevino

Currently playing Maltby C.E.R. 701u

Build your own...Total cost of my complete set of golf clubs: 500 bucks.Beating a guy who sports a $2000 bag of : priceless.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I guess I should share my own habits. Starting in spring I practice or play 6 or 7 times a week. I live where the weather is pretty nice and I get out either before or after work every day. I normally play on Saturday, and practice on Sunday after my starter shift. Once school lets out for the summer I play more and practice less. My practice sessions are short, normally around an hour, because of time constraints so I like to choose one aspect of my game to work on the entire time. It ends up breaking down to about 60% short game and 40% full swing but a great deal of that full swing time is used on the wedge game. As far as routines and drills I don’t use many, I do practice my short game and putting while listening to music and it helps the time pass since I find practicing the short game necessary but bloody boring! One game I have been doing lately is I chip 10 balls from various lies around the practice green then I go and putt each one and see how often I get it up and down. That drill helps me concentrate since each chip is important. I won’t let myself stop until I go 10 for 10. Also, since I work at a golf course I have access to the course sometimes when there are few people on it. I find practicing on the course to be really helpful. I can take out several balls and work on different shot shapes. One drill I do on the course is I hit a shot to the green using the correct club for that distance then I hit another shot using one or two more clubs than I need.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

I haven't hit a range ball in a month and I'm playing as good (if not better) than ever.

My theory is, I know my swing well enough to not need to practice it anymore. Just go out on the course and trust what I know that works. In the last 6 nines I've played after work, I've shot over par once. And that's straight out of the proshop to the tee.

I suppose you could say that I use the course as my practice grounds.

I do practice on the putting green for abut 15 minutes a couple times a week. Athough I haven't this week.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I haven't hit a range ball in a month and I'm playing as good (if not better) than ever.

Wow, gee you would think the PGA Tour guys would know their swings well enough by now too. I wonder why they still practice?

Wow, gee you would think the PGA Tour guys would know their swings well enough by now too. I wonder why they still practice?

Probably because their top-dollar swing coaches keep trying to "change their swing for the better?"

I'm not saying my approach will work for everyone. But it sure works for me.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Unfortunately, my game is far from being at a point where I don't need to make any changes. So I need to keep going to the range, as well as playing a round when I get the chance.

I was on the range for about 2 hrs earlier today, some guys from Callaway were there under a tent so I got to try some of their late model irons and drivers (comparing them with Mizuno irons and Taylor woods that they also supplied). Perhaps this disrupted my rhythm or something but I didn't have a very good session really. My balance was a bit off - I notice that happening to me sometimes, nothing you can do about it really. Next time I go out my sense of balance will probably be just fine, like normal.

Does anyone else have occasional balance issues like this ? Sorry, this is getting off-thread rather. To bring it back on-thread, a few months ago I bought a wobble-board or balance-board, that I find quite helpful in getting me to control my center of gravity precisely. It also strengthens the muscles of the ankle. Haven't tried to hit a golf ball standing on the thing yet though - might do myself an injury ! It would be very amusing for others to watch me try though.

4-hybrid:

Unfortunately, my game is far from being at a point where I don't need to make any changes. So I need to keep going to the range, as well as playing a round when I get the chance.

I used to have balance issues as well (probably due to taking a few years off and then developing a "slide" without even knowing it). What helped was to do some exercises at home/the gym. I found some light weight work (mostly legs) and doing some work on the abs really helped establish a strong "foundation". You could try something like Titleist's MyTPI (you can read

Erik Barzeski's review from a little while ago). I haven't tried a balance board, but I would expect that using the board could only help your balance. My golf instructor said that one of the reasons why people have issues with balance could be because of weak muscles in your lower body/core so that you have difficulty getting into and maintaining your form during the golf swing. I know this was the case when I started making wholesale swing changes. My body wasn't used to the motions and positions and I found myself losing balance and feeling very tired. Some weight work and general exercise helped. Hope this helps.

Sign the slow play promise and petition

Hansmixer,
Your post has the ring of truth to it ! I used to work with weights, but haven't for about six months and it shows. You encourage me to get back into it again, I'm sure it will make a big difference to many things - including my balance issues, which are indeed probably mostly strength/fitness issues in the back and legs.
Charles.

4-hybrid:

Note: This thread is 6544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!