IGNORED

My Swing (TN94z)

TN94z
Note: This thread is 1308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, after some thought and work with foam balls in my living room, I'm thinking my problem was more than likely standing too close. I was really trying to come inside out so I don't think it was an over the top issue. I think the combo of me being too close and working in to out was leading the hosel into the ball first. We will see next outing

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe it would be best to see a local pro.. Doing this on your own is impossible at times

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

Maybe it would be best to see a local pro.. Doing this on your own is impossible at times

I will if I can't figure it out. I'm usually pretty good at figuring my swing out. My biggest problem right now is my camera is not working, so I'm kind of going off of what has worked in the past.

Bryan A

I played MUCH better yesterday. I didn't keep score as I was just working on different things. I didn't have one shank the entire round. I think I was exaggerating the flat left wrist so much that I was holding it through impact and leading with the hosel. First 9 I did pretty good. If I had to guess, I was probably around a 43. We then scrambled on the back 9 and me and my partner won by about 4 strokes. Right now my feel around the greens are off and my distances are off. That will come with playing. The good news is I can start honing in on one thing at a time now that I'm hitting the ball again.

Bryan A

Got better again today. My driver was REALLY on today on the front 9 more than it has been in years!  I could tell you right where the ball was going to go and they were long.  The back 9 it faded a bit.  I think I started swinging harder to get some extra distance.  My feel around the greens is still in progress. Irons were pretty descent.  I'm having good feelings again now.

Today I shot a 40-41-81.

Bryan A

Alright guys, I will have some more swing videos before long. I have found a 5sk teacher that's fairly close and I plan on going to see him in the next couple of weeks.  I am also going to have my 11 year old start working with him as well to get some good fundamentals from the beginning.

Another side note to this is we are thinking about moving in the next year and it just so happens that the area we were looking into, is where the 5sk teacher resides. So if we move to that area, my 11 year old and I will have a nice resource for golf instruction.   It's like it was meant to be....haha

Bryan A

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I made it out to see a 5sk teacher yesterday.  I took my 11 year old for a lesson as well.  What we found was pretty much what I expected.  He gave me a few drills to work on but basically I need to get more left knee flex (I'm a righty), straighten my rear leg more rather than coming off the ball, deeper hands, more hip rotation, and more extension after contact.  It was really good stuff. We worked for about 1.5 hours and I did the things correctly with the drills but it's going to take a bit to transfer over to my full swing. My full swing was better when we got done, but still needs work. I went from pulling the ball to starting it to the right.  Sometimes it would be a straight push and sometimes it had a little draw (which is obviously what I want).

We fixed Key 1 in a matter of a few minutes. So I guess I am pretty much working on Key 2 at the moment.  But from what I have seen on the videos we did of my swing, the drills for helping my Key 2 are going to get me where I need to be for Key 3.  And really, they are going to help Key 4 as well (we really fixed Key 4 during the session).   Keys 2 and 3 are my primary focus.  These have been issues for some time now.  And the drills he gave me are going to do wonders.  I am going to really pound these drills during the week and go from there.

I knew from reading here and studying the 5sk videos and watching swing videos, what needed to happen.  I just never could really find some drills that would get the point across to my mind and body.  I think these drills will do the job.

Another good thing is my 11 year got his lesson.  He has a lot of the same drills that I have, so it works out.  The teacher taught him about the effects of the club face and swing path and had him hitting the ball straight, right, and left at will.  His biggest issue right now is hip rotation as well. So I really see big things in our future!!

Bryan A

• 3 weeks later...

The weather here has been terrible every since we had our lessons, so I haven't hit the driving range at all.  We have been doing the drills in the living room but that's about it.  I finally got a chance to go out and play 9 yesterday and it went okay.  Every shot I hit starts to the right now and has a slight draw, so I know I have improved there.  I found myself hitting off the toe though, so I need to figure that out.

The next thing is just to get the knee flex, weight forward move, and extension down and I will be right on track.  I actually would have scored very well yesterday but my 100 and in game was terrible. I think I was trying to get too cute with my shots.  I would come up short and then my chipping was just pitiful.  Ended up at 43 for 9....ridiculous

Bryan A

Here is a video of my swing from my fitting yesterday. The guy gave me a few things I need to work on.

1) I need to keep my hands quiet on the takeaway which will keep my from being so flat

2) I need to get more knee flex

3) I need to stop getting up on my toes at impact.

Anyway here is my swing...critique away:

http://good-times.webshots.com/video...03159359UxboJu

Thinking way too much. Calm down a bit. If you're able to hit the ball somewhere on target you can play better golf. It's that simple. People like to argue with me about this because naturally they're afraid to try something new. Loosen up. Get out to the course and play about five rounds without worrying about positioning of your swing. If you can hit the ball somewhere near your target (and let me remind you that mishits are natural, that they aren't the end of the world) then you can play better golf. If you want a better score, you work on shooting a better score. Not some stupid swing theory. I was once worried about classic vs modern swing action but in fact I lost distance accuracy and it was a mess. Since I got rid of thinking too much I'm now able to hit that stupid white ball into that hole down there.

Thinking way too much. Calm down a bit. If you're able to hit the ball somewhere on target you can play better golf. It's that simple. People like to argue with me about this because naturally they're afraid to try something new. Loosen up. Get out to the course and play about five rounds without worrying about positioning of your swing. If you can hit the ball somewhere near your target (and let me remind you that mishits are natural, that they aren't the end of the world) then you can play better golf. If you want a better score, you work on shooting a better score. Not some stupid swing theory. I was once worried about classic vs modern swing action but in fact I lost distance accuracy and it was a mess. Since I got rid of thinking too much I'm now able to hit that stupid white ball into that hole down there.

Yeah,  a lot has changed since that post really.  The changes I am making are for the better.  I have much more understanding now than I did 4 years ago. I know what needs to happen now and it's getting much better.  I don't think too much about mechanics when I'm playing.  I save that for the range and practice sessions. I'm looking for more consistency and predictability.  Without these swing changes, those 2 concepts are hard to come by.

Bryan A

It's just interesting how people like to think too much on the course . You on the other hand know that the course is where you improve. You can still work on your swing at the range, but on the course the main objective is to get the ball into the hole. If you notice my handicap lowered to an 18 recently.

Everyone says I have a nice swing, but I think golf is more than the swing. I believe that it is meant to be enjoyed. If you are on tour, that's a different story. Its very serious. You're playing for money and if you screw up one hole then you will miss the cut and you won't get paid.

One last thing:

Tiger woods was once so good naturally because he was competitive. He and Nicklaus had the same mindset. I heard this from both of them: "I want to be the best, play with the best, and beat the best," or something along those lines. So naturally they were the best because they had the mindset of being the best. Most other professionals just want their paycheck.

Just thought I'd bring it up.

Yeah,  a lot has changed since that post really.  The changes I am making are for the better.  I have much more understanding now than I did 4 years ago. I know what needs to happen now and it's getting much better.  I don't think too much about mechanics when I'm playing.  I save that for the range and practice sessions. I'm looking for more consistency and predictability.  Without these swing changes, those 2 concepts are hard to come by.

I'm glad those changes are working for you.

Just something you might want to know. Consistent golf may actually be boring. If you consistently hit shots on the fairway it can become repetitive and boring. Mishit some shots (not on purpose) and play the perfect shot for the situation. Hitting every fairway isn't golf. Missing greens is normal. So just play as you see fit.

I'm glad those changes are working for you.

Just something you might want to know. Consistent golf may actually be boring. If you consistently hit shots on the fairway it can become repetitive and boring. Mishit some shots (not on purpose) and play the perfect shot for the situation. Hitting every fairway isn't golf. Missing greens is normal. So just play as you see fit.

Been there, done that.  I want the boring golf for a while.  The mishits and missing greens will always be there.  Thanks for all the input though

Bryan A

I just hope you enjoy golf while you can. Most people miss out on actually enjoying the game when they think too much. I say just play. If consistent golf is your deal then go for it. Go down the path that is suitable for you. I play predictable golf which is boring for me. But if it works for you that's perfectly fine. Good golfing mate.

You are an 18. Other players want to get better. You run around here saying things like "just swing the club everything else will take care of itself" but that isnt true.-Its why you still struggle to break 90-Because they dont take care of themselves. Just because someone is working on their swing-Something even the PROS do all the time-doesnt mean they cant turn it off and play golf when theyre on the golf course.[quote name="xerex250" url="/t/21543/my-swing-tn94z/54#post_928741"]I just hope you enjoy golf while you can. Most people miss out on actually enjoying the game when they think too much. I say just play. If consistent golf is your deal then go for it. Go down the path that is suitable for you. I play predictable golf which is boring for me. But if it works for you that's perfectly fine. Good golfing mate. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• Administrator

You are an 18. Other players want to get better. You run around here saying things like "just swing the club everything else will take care of itself" but that isnt true.-Its why you still struggle to break 90-Because they dont take care of themselves.

Just because someone is working on their swing-Something even the PROS do all the time-doesnt mean they cant turn it off and play golf when theyre on the golf course.

I second that, and I will add that I enjoy the process of getting better. You seem to be guilty of assuming that people who work at improving their swings always "think too much" on the golf course. That's an assumption, and you know what they say about those, @xerex250 .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

I've improved in case you haven't noticed. I used to be a 20 back when I began on this forum. Now I'm a 17. So seriously, pay attention. Think before you post.

I didn't say anything about that:

I second that, and I will add that I enjoy the process of getting better. You seem to be guilty of assuming that people who work at improving their swings always "think too much" on the golf course. That's an assumption, and you know what they say about those, @xerex250.

Edit: Neither did @Phil McGleno . I'm not sure who you're talking to since you didn't quote anyone.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!