• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coltonwill

R9 Reshafting

32 posts in this topic

Went to the Boston Golf Expo today, and looked around the Taylormade booth. I tried out the R9, and absolutely loved it, but as soon as I left I realized that I had forgotten to ask the rep my main question about the driver, How do you reshaft a R9, while maintaing the FCT feature?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Not an expert by any means but I think you would have to get a new R9 shaft. I dont see how you keep the FCT if you put on a different shaft. Although you might be able to cut the shaft out of the FCT tip, and insert a new shaft. I dont think that is posible. I think your going to have to stick to the R9 shaft. Grate Club though!!!

The R9 TP has 9 different shafts, so there should be an option for most golfers.

Went to the Boston Golf Expo today, and looked around the Taylormade booth. I tried out the R9, and absolutely loved it, but as soon as I left I realized that I had forgotten to ask the rep my main question about the driver, How do you reshaft a R9, while maintaing the FCT feature?

I just finished a review on the R9 3-wood and no you cannot reshaft them. They have to be sent back to TM. That being said the Fuji Motore F1 that comes in the TP model is a really good shaft and i wouldn't replace it even if I could. And as scottevans77 said they have available several other customs shafts as well. Look for the R9 reviews as the Sand Trap Staff received them a couple of weeks ago.

Awards and Achievements

Is it possible to reshaft the non TP version, or are you stuck with the stock shaft?

Is it possible to reshaft the non TP version, or are you stuck with the stock shaft?

Nope no reshafting.

Awards and Achievements

Heres my main concern with the R9.

Every shaft has a spine that is built a certain way to support its club. If you start spinning the shaft around on the R9, what happens to the spine? It seems like it would be shifted out of place.
My explanation is a bit vaigue, but Im sure someone on here knows what im refering to.

Heres my main concern with the R9.

I was actually talking with a buddy about this same thing today. I don't see how it can keep its spine alignment.

Awards and Achievements

Basically the consensus that I have heard from some clubmaker's is that they are going to have to find a way to either get a hold of or seperate the "adapter sleeve". Once they master this, they can just take a brand new sleeve and put any shaft you want into it, eliminating the process of having to send it in to Taylormade to reshaft it.

I'll bet the sleeves to reshaft these show up on eBay by the end of the month...

Every shaft has a spine that is built a certain way to support its club. If you start spinning the shaft around on the R9, what happens to the spine? It seems like it would be shifted out of place.

I don't think that's accurate. If the spine affected the performance of the shaft in any way it'd be illegal - shafts must perform (bend, etc.) accurately regardless of orientation.

I'm not a clubmaker, and I know there's the whole "splining" and all that stuff out there, but I've cut a bunch of shafts apart, or seen them made, and they don't have spines. Maybe you mean something differently or I'm mistaken somehow.

Awards and Achievements

I don't think that's accurate. If the spine affected the performance of the shaft in any way it'd be illegal - shafts must perform (bend, etc.) accurately regardless of orientation.

At my club fitting last weekend the maker showed me a graphite shaft and I couldn't see a spine either. But he put a spine checker tool on there and when you spin the shaft inside this tool, you can definitely feel a spine.

Awards and Achievements

I have spoken with a number of club makers and they have all referred to spinning shafts. It may not be that they actually have a spine, but how they bend and such, I suppose they refer to that as the spine of the shaft.

Yeah, supposedly the spine is supposed to point at the target. He showed me video with a wrong spine alignment and the thing went crazy when they pulled it back and let it go.

I just watched another R9 commerial and it looks to me like you don't turn the entire shaft to make the changes. You just adjust the very bottom with the adjustment. If that is the case, the technically the spine doesn't change anyway.

Awards and Achievements

I just watched another R9 commerial and it looks to me like you don't turn the entire shaft to make the changes. You just adjust the very bottom with the adjustment.

You rotate the whole shaft. People who like New Decade Multicomp grips won't particularly care for this, either.

Awards and Achievements

You rotate the whole shaft. People who like New Decade Multicomp grips won't particularly care for this, either.

Really? I haven't seen on in person but on the commercial it looked like only the bottom was rotating. Well, there goes my idea. If that is the case, then I would be afraid of it from what I have seen on the spine issue.

Awards and Achievements

Really? I haven't seen on in person but on the commercial it looked like only the bottom was rotating. Well, there goes my idea. If that is the case, then I would be afraid of it from what I have seen on the spine issue.

I've had one for a few weeks, so yes, really.

Awards and Achievements

Nor will people who used ribbed grips. What a joke...i thought taylormade would have thought all of this through before coming out with the r9. This driver sounds like a mess to me now, and after hitting it, i felt like it was the r7 limited.