IGNORED

R9 Reshafting

Note: This thread is 3967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Went to the Boston Golf Expo today, and looked around the Taylormade booth. I tried out the R9, and absolutely loved it, but as soon as I left I realized that I had forgotten to ask the rep my main question about the driver, How do you reshaft a R9, while maintaing the FCT feature?

What's in My Extreme Lite Bag:
Driver: 909D2 9.5* w/ stiff Made for Titleist Voodoo
3-Wood: 904f 15*
2- Hybrid: 18* Heavenwood
3-PW: X-18 w/ steel Uniflex shaftsSW: Forged 56* LW: chrome 60*Putter: 34" White Hot Two-BallBall: NXT Tour

Not an expert by any means but I think you would have to get a new R9 shaft. I dont see how you keep the FCT if you put on a different shaft. Although you might be able to cut the shaft out of the FCT tip, and insert a new shaft. I dont think that is posible. I think your going to have to stick to the R9 shaft. Grate Club though!!!

Idea Irons tight lies
R5 duel
PW
Putter I-series
bag Home Course Pondaros RIP

Went to the Boston Golf Expo today, and looked around the Taylormade booth. I tried out the R9, and absolutely loved it, but as soon as I left I realized that I had forgotten to ask the rep my main question about the driver, How do you reshaft a R9, while maintaing the FCT feature?

I just finished a review on the R9 3-wood and no you cannot reshaft them. They have to be sent back to TM. That being said the Fuji Motore F1 that comes in the TP model is a really good shaft and i wouldn't replace it even if I could. And as scottevans77 said they have available several other customs shafts as well. Look for the R9 reviews as the Sand Trap Staff received them a couple of weeks ago.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is it possible to reshaft the non TP version, or are you stuck with the stock shaft?

What's in My Extreme Lite Bag:
Driver: 909D2 9.5* w/ stiff Made for Titleist Voodoo
3-Wood: 904f 15*
2- Hybrid: 18* Heavenwood
3-PW: X-18 w/ steel Uniflex shaftsSW: Forged 56* LW: chrome 60*Putter: 34" White Hot Two-BallBall: NXT Tour

Is it possible to reshaft the non TP version, or are you stuck with the stock shaft?

Nope no reshafting.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Heres my main concern with the R9.

Every shaft has a spine that is built a certain way to support its club. If you start spinning the shaft around on the R9, what happens to the spine? It seems like it would be shifted out of place.
My explanation is a bit vaigue, but Im sure someone on here knows what im refering to.
Driver: Titleist 909 D2 (VooDoo shaft)
Woods: Titleist 909 D3 (15 deg, VooDoo shaft)
Hybrids: Mizuno MX700 (20 deg)
Irons: Titleist ZB (4-pw)
Wedge:
Titleist Vokey 52°, 56°, 60°Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select NewportPutter Cover: Scotty Cameron 2009 Cupid Dog -WhiteBalls: Srixon Z-Star

Heres my main concern with the R9.

I was actually talking with a buddy about this same thing today. I don't see how it can keep its spine alignment.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Basically the consensus that I have heard from some clubmaker's is that they are going to have to find a way to either get a hold of or seperate the "adapter sleeve". Once they master this, they can just take a brand new sleeve and put any shaft you want into it, eliminating the process of having to send it in to Taylormade to reshaft it.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I'll bet the sleeves to reshaft these show up on eBay by the end of the month...
In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

• Administrator
Every shaft has a spine that is built a certain way to support its club. If you start spinning the shaft around on the R9, what happens to the spine? It seems like it would be shifted out of place.

I don't think that's accurate. If the spine affected the performance of the shaft in any way it'd be illegal - shafts must perform (bend, etc.) accurately regardless of orientation.

I'm not a clubmaker, and I know there's the whole "splining" and all that stuff out there, but I've cut a bunch of shafts apart, or seen them made, and they don't have spines. Maybe you mean something differently or I'm mistaken somehow.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't think that's accurate. If the spine affected the performance of the shaft in any way it'd be illegal - shafts must perform (bend, etc.) accurately regardless of orientation.

At my club fitting last weekend the maker showed me a graphite shaft and I couldn't see a spine either. But he put a spine checker tool on there and when you spin the shaft inside this tool, you can definitely feel a spine.

Bryan A

I have spoken with a number of club makers and they have all referred to spinning shafts. It may not be that they actually have a spine, but how they bend and such, I suppose they refer to that as the spine of the shaft.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Yeah, supposedly the spine is supposed to point at the target. He showed me video with a wrong spine alignment and the thing went crazy when they pulled it back and let it go.

I just watched another R9 commerial and it looks to me like you don't turn the entire shaft to make the changes. You just adjust the very bottom with the adjustment. If that is the case, the technically the spine doesn't change anyway.

Bryan A

• Administrator
I just watched another R9 commerial and it looks to me like you don't turn the entire shaft to make the changes. You just adjust the very bottom with the adjustment.

You rotate the whole shaft. People who like New Decade Multicomp grips won't particularly care for this, either.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You rotate the whole shaft. People who like New Decade Multicomp grips won't particularly care for this, either.

Really? I haven't seen on in person but on the commercial it looked like only the bottom was rotating. Well, there goes my idea. If that is the case, then I would be afraid of it from what I have seen on the spine issue.

Bryan A

• Administrator
Really? I haven't seen on in person but on the commercial it looked like only the bottom was rotating. Well, there goes my idea. If that is the case, then I would be afraid of it from what I have seen on the spine issue.

I've had one for a few weeks, so yes, really.

Nor will people who used ribbed grips. What a joke...i thought taylormade would have thought all of this through before coming out with the r9. This driver sounds like a mess to me now, and after hitting it, i felt like it was the r7 limited.

Note: This thread is 3967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!