IGNORED

Sound of a Driver...

Note: This thread is 5505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. how much influence does sound have on if you will buy?

• none
    • very little
    • some, but not determinative
    • a lot
    • sounds bad, no deal

How much does this influence whether or not you will buy it.

Personally I like it to be loud, but not tin-like, but I can pretty much get used to anything as long as I like the way it feels and looks.

Anyone remember how those persimon drivers used to sound... THWACK... that was the best sound.

In another thread I compared sound to the Pavlov's dog expiriment... if I see good results from driver A, then eventually I will become conditioned to enjoy that sound.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

what drivers do you think sound bad, which ones sound good?
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

When I first hit My Hibore XLS, i thought i would never get used to the sound it made. Now I look forward to it. Some guy this morning was hitting a Cobra driver that was worse than my XLS.

In my bag are
Hibore XLS 10.5*
Hibore XLS 22* 3i Hybrid
TA7 irons 3-PW, SW
CG11 60* LW VP #5 putter.

I used to have NIKE SQ 5000 driver. I had been using it for a while, maybe 2 months. After that I feel like I can't stand this sound anymore. It's way too loud. So I bought a TaylorMade TP burner, the one I am using. Could not be happier with the sound, the drive.

I have tried New Nike Dymo. Still sound awful....Nike is my favorite, but for the driver...bye bye.

Driver TP Burner 8.5* Stiff
3 Wood SQ 15* stiff
5 Wood SQ 19* stiff
Irons MP 67 (3-PW) stiff
Wedge 52* and 56* stiffPutter Mtisushiba Ball

The 07 Cobra FD is really loud. I have been told by a few friends that putting a beer can on the end of a stick would sound better. The sound never bothered me as I have quite a bit of confidence in it. I do remember speaking to a Cobra rep in 08 about the sound of it, and he did say that the 08 version was muted a little. Not sure about the 09 versions.

Cobra L5V - Just waiting for the ZL to have a lower price
Cobra F Speed 2006 3 wood - very underrated 3 wood
Adams Pro Idea 3H and 4H

Taylormade Burner XD 4-AW
Cleveland 48*, 52*, and 60*

Odyssey F7 2 Ball

I have come to the conclusion that the higher the MOI, the worse the sound becomes. For example, the Nike SQ 5900 was the worst thing I ever had to listen too, while persimmon woods produce possible the best possible noise on a golf course.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

what drivers do you think sound bad, which ones sound good?

Bad: Callaway FT-i, Cobras, NIKE Sumo^2.

Good: Most Titleists, some TMs. To be honest, I really can't think of a time that I hit or heard a driver and said, "Wow, this sounds great." I think that it's more common to hear a driver and say, "Ouch!"
I have come to the conclusion that the higher the MOI, the worse the sound becomes. For example, the Nike SQ 5900 was the worst thing I ever had to listen too

It's a good theory.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

sound makes NO difference to me (see sig). if it gets the job done, i dont care how loud it is. doesnt bother me at all. i think its cool when i go to the course and i can tell which driver someone is hitting just by the sound it makes (L4V, FT-i, Cleveland Monster, etc)

I cant stand the sound of Cobra drivers... If I can hear it when I hit it... no deal. I couldn't honestly tell you what sound my driver makes when I hit it but when someone else hits it... it sounds great.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

Sound is not my objective, how far and how straight the ball goes is what is important to me. I like TaylorMade and have 2 of their drivers. My lates is R5.

i'm ashamed to say that sound influenced my decision to get a Nike 5900. i heard somebody hit the previous model (5000?) and i said "man, i gotta get one of those!". now i love it, its my favorite driver, but i dont really pay attention to the sound anymore. people do comment, tho.

i thought mine was loud till i heard my brothers speed ld... my buddies monster isnt quiet either... hahaha... i actually love it loud... hitting on the range gets some attention... its just too bad it only sounds like im bombing 300 yard drives :(
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I selected the "some, but not determinative" choice.

I don't like the "tinking" or "clanking" clubs. I just couldn't get used to it. A good solid impact is fine.

I heard a "clanker" at the range the other day....worse sounding driver I've ever heard....but.....he was getting results with it.

Funny thing is that the best sound driver I've ever owned was also the shortest driver, too. I mean, I would cream the ball, and not get the distance that I did with my next driver.

One thing about drivers.....we alls seem to be talking about out next one.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I do not like the sound of the Cobra drivers but they are great drivers. The sound of my Sumo2 is pretty loud but I got used to it quickly.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

as long as it doesnt sound like a cobra speed ld

Burner 9.5 '09/905R 9.5 V2 HL
906F2 15 75g NV Stiff
735 3 - PW S300
MP R 52.07, 58.12 S300
Original Karsten B60 Hoofer 2

I love the sound of the Ping drivers, I'm a fan of the Nike Sasquatch, I love the feel, but the sound... ech!

OVERHEARD ON THE GOLF COURSE - "Go in the hole!.........................................FORE!!!"

Datrek Zone Bag
DRIVER: G2, Graffalloy Prolaunch Blue 65S
5 WOOD: SasQuatch Sumo 5900 IRONS: I5 3-PW52/56/60: 588 DSG GunmetalPUTTER: White-Hot 2-BallBALL: Pro V1xRANGEFINDER: SG4

Note: This thread is 5505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!