IGNORED

You should just quit - and so should I

AbsoluteZero
Note: This thread is 5511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Everyone wants to be better than they are. When I get seriously upset about it, all I want to do is play more and Im really upset that I have to go home to my wife and kids and not able to fix the problem right then and there.

Other than that. Drink Beer. It makes it more fun after a day is already shot

Being about an 18 handicap, I can safely say that golf is one of the most enjoyable things in my life. Frustrating? Yes, but have I ever considered quitting golf? Hell no.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me personally, the score I shoot has little to do with how much I enjoy this game. I love golf just for the sheer fun of playing the game. No matter if I shoot birdie or triple bogey, its still fun.
The feeling of a well-struck shot, sticking a wedge shot close or draining a long putt is plenty to keep me coming back for more.
I also love golf because its something you can enjoy for a lifetime and can enjoy even if you arent all that good at it.
Not to mention that golf is a great escape from the day to day stresses of life and its a great way to get some exercise, a nice tan and breathe some fresh air.
Part of the appeal for me too is the friends I have made because of golf. Ive met so many wonderful people because of golf that I likely would have never met.
I think a lot of the time, we become so fixated on getting good at this game and on shooting the scores we THINK we should be shooting that we forget to just have fun.
I learned a long time ago that you cant take golf too seriously, because if you do, this game will eat you alive.
You just gotta go out, try your best and whatever happens, happens.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I think about it at least once a year.

Last year I was really excited about a round. Perfect course, perfect weather and the course was in perfect condition. It was one of those days where you break out the new shirt and box of new golf balls -- and I shot 101

The next week I went out with the urging of my dad. With very few expectations I shot a 78 including a -2 first nine of 34.

The lure of the next shot, the next round keeps us all going. And this is fun after all :)

G10
SteelHead III
I3
Vockey
588 BC-2

I just quit quitting golf after fifteen years. If I can just get myself back to bogey golf I'll be happy.

And I'm a Cubs fan, golf frustration is just a minor annoyance by comparison.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

I understand the frustration. I thought that after the last 19 years of regular play I would be better by now. I'm starting to feel like I peaked at a five handicap. I have the obsession of breaking 80. If I shoot anywhere in the 70's I feel pretty good about my game. If I shoot 80-82 I'm Ok with that but not happy. Over that and I'm just disgusted. I know I have the capability to do much better. I've shot 70 before. But I just don't have it in me to give up. I am going to continue to battle and try and get better. I've made some recent equipment changes. I've made some good swing changes that are becoming ingrained. My only problem lately is that life has gotten in the way and I haven't played much. I walked nine last week and I was two under through six. I was seeing a glimpse of my potential. I then proceeded to double bogey the next two holes. Arrgghh! But, I will not give up. I have a 15 year old son with a wealth of potential, a love for the game and the outside hope of playing on the next level. Giving up is not the example I want to set.

I doubt I will ever quit playing golf.

It is me time. It is a place where I can be alone with my thoughts and still be in a social atmosphere.

It is a constant challenge regardless of ability, to distract from lifes real and sometimes truely difficult problems.

It gives you moments to be truely happy with your ability by sometimes showing you how imperfect you are. The contrast makes the highs better.

The cost is what you make it. I know folks that only play the muni's with Walmart clubs. I know folks that have $2500 in their bag and only play mostly upscale course. Sometimes we all play together and still have fun.

-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

I have to keep playing.

There are many reasons people go to a golf course. Dont get me wrong, I love my life. However, when I wake up the morning of a tournament that is best I ever feel.

-Beane

I play because I hate that I suck at something this much, and I'm very motivated to improve. I'm very "Type A."

In My Hunter Bag:

SQ Sumo2 5900 Driver 10.5
SQ Sumo2 3w 15
A3OS 4 Hybrid 4-PW x20 Uniflex Steel Tom Watson Chrome 52, 56, 60 Sudio Stainless Laguna 2.5 Raw Distance TitaniumGo Bears

It seems your sole goal is to play better. Maybe you should quit, I don't know. I have been slowly improving each year and, of course, I get frustrated with steps backward or poor play, but I love being on the course, hanging with friends, my son or playing alone. Even when I play poorly I can find at least a few shots to be happy with. Do I get upset, sure. Would I quit, never.
It doesn't sound like you like the game, only want to conquer it. I am the type of guy who has to drag himself out of bed each morning for work, but give me a tee time and I am up four hours early, itching to get to the course.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

I think people's expectations about their golf game are funny. I took up playing in my early 30s, so the odds of getting good were already stacked against me, so I just have fun. I'm steadily improving, but I also am now 36, which is statistically when good golfers start declining. My goal for the year is to break 90 (actually 45 for 9 which is all I have time to play). Same goal as last year.

Gelbert, I started when I was 30 as well, I am now 33 and had my best round ever a couple of months ago, an 83. I know you can do it as well. My goal now is to get down to a 79 before seasons end.

Someone once said "In golf, as long as there is life there is hope".

I'm not saying you don't enjoy your game, but these guys might HAVE BEEN HAVING MORE FUN. Their expectations of themselves were much lower. While you may have expected to make that putt, and were not visibly excited by it. For them to get it near the hole was a major accomplishment. And to shoot a PAR is awesome for guys like me and these two. That means for one hole we were able to put it all together and shoot what we should shoot.

In my bag are
Hibore XLS 10.5*
Hibore XLS 22* 3i Hybrid
TA7 irons 3-PW, SW
CG11 60* LW VP #5 putter.

I've never been to the point where I want to quit. I have vowed to never return to a certain course in the region but never to walk away from the game.

Now my son on the other hand. He's 15, on the varsity golf team and thinks he should be shooting in the seventies all the time. He's a legit 18. If he doesn't break 90 he's ready to walk away. I have to remind him of the fact that 75-80% of the golfers don't break 100 regularly. That normally "grounds" him a little.

For me there is always a few shots that keep me coming back.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...

Nike Sasquatch 460 10.5 degree driver Diamana shaft
MP-57 3-pw DG R300 shafts
MX700 Hybrid Cleveland CG14 50 degree wedge Nike SV 56 degree wedgeReid Lockhart 56 degree sandwedge (plays like a 60 degree, hence the two 56 degree wedges) Odyssey...

Reasons that prevent quitting:

Those few shots a round, that feel perfect in every manner. They literally send tingles up and down your spine... and can even evoke goosbumps.

Might be a drive you absolutely nutted, an approach shot that felt like butter, a fancy smancy touch shot around the green, or draining a tough putt... but they happen multiple times per round, some more often on a good day then bad.

I admit, I play to win! It drives me. Even when playing alone I KNOW I am much better then I play at times... much better and expect to get there. Winning to me means hitting the low percentage shots perfect and having an easy next shot. Winning is under 2 putts average per 18 holes. Winning is on in 2 on par 4's and 5's. Winning is a 64* wedge shot from 70 yds over a green side bunker with the pin tucked behind it, and backing the ball snuggly near the cup for a tap in. Very infrequently do I consider winning as the score posted against people I play with.

Even a rough day on the course is better most other activities that you could have been involved in.

Taylormade TP 2010 9.5 Fubuki stiff
07 Burner 5W stiff

Adams F11 Ti 3W Adilia NVS Stiff
Bobby Jones 21* & 25* Hybrid
AP1 4-gw
CG14  60*::X forged Vintage 56* Ping b60 putter Balls: Bridgestone B330, ProV, Goals: Shot par over 18 holes, Best shot: Par 5 18th hole, Alling Memorial New haven CT; holed my 2nd shot for an Albatross! (June 20th, 2008)

Every year, at least a couple times, I considering selling my clubs and quitting the game of golf. This usually happens after a round where I just blow up and can't seem to do anything right. I think to myself "I just spent a lot of money to go out and have a miserable time."

Sounds like you're thinking of golf as a job. Not a game. People play it because the challenge, and the fun, and the satisfaction it rewards. Try not thinking about the numbers, and just playing. Single handicaps didn't start as single handicaps and they don't play because they are single handicaps. They play because they enjoy the game, and they're single handicaps because they love the game, and have devoted time to honing their skills. You just gotta enjoy.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

i got a solution for you...
dont practice... dont go to the range... the time you usually do this... play a quick 9... or get in 18...
here's the trick...
DO NOT KEEP SCORE!!!
play a few rounds... maybe 3 or 4... without keeping any kind of score...
the object of this is to PLAY golf... key word... PLAY... have fun...
try crazy shots just to try them...
play those flops...
do bumps from the fringe with your woods...
play backwards... tee off with a wedge... approach with your 3wood... putt with your driver... get the fun back in your GAME
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

What keeps you playing? If you are a single digit hcp, I understand why you play. If you are like me, or even worse, why are you playing? Do you really feel like Golf is the best return on your "hobby" investment?

i plan on turning pro gotta learn to put though

Go out to a muni at 7am and watch the foursomes of older golfers tee off. Most have been at the game for years, have bags full of ancient clubs, bodies that bear the scars of heart surgeries and joint replacements, are racked with arthritis, and eyes that don't see past the end of the tee box. They don't care how far they hit the ball, their launch angles, swing speeds, or shoulder rotation. They play because they are in-touch with a game that has given them numerous hours of entertainment, camaraderie, and great memories. They play because they can.

We have become so wrapped up in what golf isn't that we have forgotten what golf is. Golf is a way to get in touch with the world around us, our inner-most aspirations, the sheer exhilaration of our body applied to work, and the dreams that all of this gives us. If you forget that, golf makes no sense. If you remember that, golf makes all the sense in the world.

WITB - about 15lbs. of clubs, a few balls, tees, and a windbreaker

~In true gravity,

G E S

Note: This thread is 5511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!